Wide Angle vs. Telephoto/Mirrorless vs. DSLR

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Nov 29, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I picked up a 5D again just because I love it's portrait capabilities (or, more generally, people shooting). I picked up an 85/1.8 and 70-210 zoom. I also recently rented a 35/1.4 for the OOF effects and purchased a 28/1.8.

I had sold my m43 gear to concentrate on the DSLR (this past spring, I had sold all my DSLR stuff to concentrate on m43).

But I've bought back into m43 (having just received an EPL3 and 20/1.7 this week), coming to the conclusion that I really need both, and it's not either/or.

One thing I noticed -- while I'm perfectly fine to use (and actually need) a VF for telephoto, I REALLY need the LCD for wide angle. For me, I use wide angle to shoot people in context, and almost never at eye level. Usually waist or even floor level. Often at arms length, or from a table top coming back at a funny angle. I've spent the last three weeks lying on the floor and twisting into un-natural poses to get a shot with the DSLR with a WA FOV.

I'm going to keep the 28/1.8 and the 5D anyway, just because the output is magical, and I'm going to use the EPL3 for walk-about photos whether WA or not, but for WA shooting with people in the frame, IMO, mirrorless is the way to go!
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I think it's only an either/or situation for folks with a limited budget. I really only need one system and certainly can't afford two sets of lenses and accessories. Thus, I'm quite happy with using :43: exclusively. For others, there may be particular needs - or they simply have more discretionary income! :biggrin:
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, freedom from the eye-level finder along with light weight for long shoots is what makes Non-Reflex my ideal studio system.