Wide angle recommendation for a GF1

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by megalaser, Mar 25, 2010.

1. megalaser

megalaser Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2010
    Hi, Could anyone recommend a really wide angle (and sharp from corner to corner) lens that will work with the GF1? I am looking for something wider than the 14-45mm but not fisheye shaped. Maybe there is a DSLR lens that might be physically larger than a micro four thirds lens but would be good quality and do the job with an adaptor? The Panasonic 7-14mm looks great but it's really expensive so I am hoping to find something like that in an adapted lens that's more affordable . . . . . any suggestions appreciated.
  2. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

The new Oly 9-18. It's a bit more reasonable at $700. I have pre-ordered one....
  3. megalaser

megalaser Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2010
    Do you know a release date for it?
  4. William

William New to Mu-43

Nov 16, 2009
    I'd save up for the 7-14. Not that big of a lens on the GF1. Excellent, sharp lens. Not sure you'll find an equivalent lens at all those focal lengths that will perform as well as the 7-14. Maybe the Nikkor AF 14/2.8, but a huge chunk of glass and heavy, and expensive. I don't know much about the other manufacturers but the prices will be high for those super wides.
  5. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I am considering the Olympus 11-22mm and an adaptor over the 9-18mm as the larger aperture is useful for me as I do a lot of shooting in poor light or at night. While I stop down, the brighter image helps with focusing.
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Hey there megalaser - thanks for starting this thread and welcome to mu43.com, too. I'm interested in a wide angle myself and I would like it to be a fast one but I don't really want it to cost more than my camera.

If you have the time, I hope you'll stop by the Welcomes and Introductions section and say hello. Either way, glad to have you aboard.:smile:
  7. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

They say "April". I shoot landscapes, so I prefer the Oly as it has 52mm filter threads - the same size as the 14-45 and 45-200 Pannys.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    if 23mm equiv is wide enuf for you then may i suggest a 35 dollar solution that i feel works very well and is sharper to the corners than i would have imagined [14 x 0.8 = 11.5 x 2 = 23mm equiv??]

heres what i did, using the robustly built panny 14-45 i mounted the rather large heavy A-28 olympus WA adapter 0.8x [49mm thread] on to the 52mm threaded front of the kit zoom
    with a step ring ,the weight is no problem and if used only at the 14mm end of the zoom range gives an image with no vignetting and even light and good sharpness to the corners , if zoomed to 45 image quality is very poor [ its a WA adapter after all]

the a 28 was intended to widen an older olympus bridge camera from 35 to 28 mm
    its a large heavy optic that gathers light well

i was waiting for the olympus 9-18 m4\3 with great anticipation for many months but when i discovered it would be a flimsy collapsible zoom like the toy-like oly 14-42 kit zoom , i began to lose interest,
    when i discovered it would cost significantly more than the nicely built 4\3 9-18mm
    at 700 bucks, i was even more put off..... i decided to buy the older 4\3 version instead at some point in the future ,or perhaps the panny 7-14, hopefully used

the a-28 is a quality adapter , its available used on e bay [20 bucks ?]
    i believe it was meant to sell for 100 - 150 dollars more than a decade ago
  9. Maczero

Maczero Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2010
    I'd be interested to know how this works out for you as I have a 11 - 22 as well. Do you think the FT 9 - 18 mm would work as well? I am off on hols on Tuesday and wondering if what the most credible WA option from my existing FT lenses with my GF1. A mu-FT option is not on the cards at the moment.

10. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi, do you have any example pics taken with this combo? Thanks.
  11. mrbrown

mrbrown Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2010
    I got a Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 for my GF1. It is a very good wideangle though it does not open wide enough in low light.
  12. lggomez

lggomez Mu-43 Regular

The 7-14mm it's an excellent lens. It's worth every penny. Here's an example:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    I've had the Voigtlander 12mm 5.6 for about 5 years but never used it much on my Leica but I find it quite useful on my m 4/3 cameras. It's so wide that everything seems in focus.
  14. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Just got an email from Adorama this morning that they still have no definite ship date.
  15. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
  16. Roel

Roel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I bit the bullet and got the Panny 7-14mm f/4 ... and since I bought it, I have never regretted it. Yes it is expensive and it is worth every penny. It is so small and light and I use it all the time on my GF1 - it goes with me everywhere and I have gotten shots I would not have otherwise had.

At first, I thought about getting the new Oly 9-18mm when they announced it, but I did not want to wait that long as I was going on a couple trips and needed a UWA lens. I am sure the Oly will be a good lens, but the Panny is simply superb and available now.

Life is short. Buy the best you can afford.
  17. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

I need the filter threads, hence I can't use the Panny 7-14.