Wide Angle Rangefinder Lenses on m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by VinnyK, Aug 15, 2011.

1. VinnyK

VinnyK New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2011
    I am new to the m4/3 format, having recently bought a EPL2. I really like the camera and found the size and weight perfect for everyday use.

My other camera is a Leica M8. So naturally, I am looking to use some of the M-Mount lenses on the EPL2. (In fact, that's one of the reasons why I decided to try a M4/3 camera).

My question is regarding wide angle rangefinder lenses on the EPL2 - I understand that it is not a good idea to go too wide with rangefinder lenses as the angle of incidence towards the edge of the sensor is too far off-perpendicular. But is there a general consensus on how wide one should go before running into problems?

My M-mount lenses are 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm. Are the 24mm and 35mm usable on the EPL2?

Thanks!

2. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    35mm will probably be ok, 24mm probably not so great. except on m4/3 35mm becomes 70mm which is now short telephoto, but you probably already know that. If you are lookign for a wider view on m4/3 the native lenses work much better.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Here are some images from a cv 12mm. I would say not to go wider than that...

Attached Files:

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Any reason you have not tried your lenses on your camera?

5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

If you get a chance, do try the Oly 12mm f2.0 lens as native to m43. It's a superb experience to shoot and a very sharp lens. It has a manual mode that you'll recognize instantly.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Here is one more example of the 12mm with 100% corner crops. I am about a foot from the bottom of the tree. But as pointed out, native m4/3 lenses are better, but you can use just about any lens on your body.

Attached Files:

7. VinnyK

VinnyK New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2011
    I don't have the adapter yet! I'd like to get some feedback before spending the money.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can pick up an inexpensive M-mount adapter for about $50. That will be cheaper than any lens. I would say you can use any lens you have now. None of your focal lengths will be wide on an m4/3 camera.

9. VinnyK

VinnyK New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for the tips, Hikari.

Your samples look really good. I am really tempted to try my M lenses now.

You're right. I just did a quick ebay query and found some cheap adapters. I didn't know there are so many choices!! (I was mostly looking at the Voigtlander and the Novoflex before...both of those cost quite a bit.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.