1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide Angle Rangefinder Lenses on m4/3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by VinnyK, Aug 15, 2011.

1. VinnyK

VinnyK New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2011
    I am new to the m4/3 format, having recently bought a EPL2. I really like the camera and found the size and weight perfect for everyday use.

My other camera is a Leica M8. So naturally, I am looking to use some of the M-Mount lenses on the EPL2. (In fact, that's one of the reasons why I decided to try a M4/3 camera).

My question is regarding wide angle rangefinder lenses on the EPL2 - I understand that it is not a good idea to go too wide with rangefinder lenses as the angle of incidence towards the edge of the sensor is too far off-perpendicular. But is there a general consensus on how wide one should go before running into problems?

My M-mount lenses are 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 90mm. Are the 24mm and 35mm usable on the EPL2?

Thanks!

2. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    35mm will probably be ok, 24mm probably not so great. except on m4/3 35mm becomes 70mm which is now short telephoto, but you probably already know that. If you are lookign for a wider view on m4/3 the native lenses work much better.

3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Here are some images from a cv 12mm. I would say not to go wider than that...

Attached Files:

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Any reason you have not tried your lenses on your camera?

5. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

If you get a chance, do try the Oly 12mm f2.0 lens as native to m43. It's a superb experience to shoot and a very sharp lens. It has a manual mode that you'll recognize instantly.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Here is one more example of the 12mm with 100% corner crops. I am about a foot from the bottom of the tree. But as pointed out, native m4/3 lenses are better, but you can use just about any lens on your body.

Attached Files:

7. VinnyK

VinnyK New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2011
    I don't have the adapter yet! I'd like to get some feedback before spending the money.

8. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can pick up an inexpensive M-mount adapter for about $50. That will be cheaper than any lens. I would say you can use any lens you have now. None of your focal lengths will be wide on an m4/3 camera.

9. VinnyK

VinnyK New to Mu-43

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for the tips, Hikari.

Your samples look really good. I am really tempted to try my M lenses now.

You're right. I just did a quick ebay query and found some cheap adapters. I didn't know there are so many choices!! (I was mostly looking at the Voigtlander and the Novoflex before...both of those cost quite a bit.)