Wide Angle Option

Projectdb

New to Mu-43
First time post here and just wanted to say, I'm extremely glad I found these forums. I've spent the last few weeks pouring over them and have come to the conclusion this is the single best resource for M43 information on the internet.

Coming up this fall I'll be leaving for a year long trip (pandemic will be determining locations, although I have a loose plan) and will be limited to a single carry on bag as well as a personal item. I'll be working while traveling so laptop and peripherals are mandatory. I've recently sold off my Sony e-mount setup and have made the switch to M43. Taking into account size and weight, I've picked up a GX85 body, Panasonic 25mm 1.7, Panasonic 14-140 II and am looking for a wide angle. I'll also be bringing along a Ricoh GR II (F2.8/28mm FF equiv).

Most of the shooting I'll be doing will be urban/street/interior and exterior architecture initially. Later in the year I have a mountaineering trip and will be bringing a fair amount of equipment that will need to be checked, so size and weight of the camera kit isn't as important. For this trip I'd like a weather sealed system and decided on the G9 (ordering this weekend).

So with all of this, space being an issue initially and weather sealing being an issue later on, would it be redundant to pick up a Laowa 7.5mm then grabbing the Panasonic 8-18mm for the latter trip? Should I just grab the 8-18mm and try and shave some space/weight elsewhere?

Side question: I went with the 14-140 II version as it says dust and weather resistant. I'm having a hard time finding a firm answer on if this lens is weather sealed like the more pro lenses, or if it some lesser weather sealing?

Sorry for the wall of text, I've been reading the forums here, reviews everywhere, watching YouTube and still haven't been able to decide what my best course of action would be.

Thanks in advance!

(I've all but ruled out the 7-14mm Panasonic due to lack of filter for landscape, the third party filter attachments seem to be unavailable at this point. The Olympus 7-14mm I've also crossed off due the weight, size, and price vs 8-18mm)

Edited: Duplicate text

Last edited:

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Most of the shooting I'll be doing will be urban/street/interior and exterior architecture initially. Later in the year I have a mountaineering trip and will be bringing a fair amount of equipment that will need to be checked, so size and weight of the camera kit isn't as important. For this trip I'd like a weather sealed system and decided on the G9 (ordering this weekend).

So with all of this, space being an issue initially and weather sealing being an issue later on, would it be redundant to pick up a Laowa 7.5mm then grabbing the Panasonic 8-18mm for the latter trip? Should I just grab the 8-18mm and try and shave some space/weight elsewhere?

Let's put it this way: if you already spent $1000 for a weather-sealed Panny-Leica 8-18mm with panny DFD autofocus, you would not consider spending another $500 for a manual 7,5mm lens just because it's one stop faster and marginally wider.

Buildings or lanscape will not run away so you don't need faster lens for those and f/2 isn't really that fast in street photography either. AF isn't that important at 7,5mm because pretty much everything is in focus anyway but I doubt that you would choose manual lens over Leica AF zoom for that use case either. There is soooo much more you can do with Leica 8-18 whereas manual 7,5 is more or less a one trick pony.

Maybe you could buy something like 7,5mm 7-artisans fisheye instead just for that effect. It's only $120 or so.

Last edited:

Projectdb

New to Mu-43
Let's put it this way: if you already spent $1000 for a weather-sealed Panny-Leica 8-18mm with panny DFD autofocus, you would not consider spending another $500 for a manual 7,5mm lens just because it's one stop faster and marginally wider.

Buildings or lanscape will not run away so you don't need faster lens for those and f/2 isn't really that fast in street photography either. AF isn't that important at 7,5mm because pretty much everything is in focus anyway but I doubt that you would choose manual lens over Leica AF zoom for that use case either. There is soooo much more you can do with Leica 8-18 whereas manual 7,5 is more or less a one trick pony.

Maybe you could buy something like 7,5mm 7-artisans fisheye instead just for that effect. It's only $120 or so.

My initial thought was that the Laowa would save me space/weight for the initial part of the trip where it was going to be pretty tight.

After reading your reply, there is likely never a time afterwards that I would chose the Laowa over the Panny. Seeing the numbers there gave me a some clarity. If the extra 150g in weight ends up being a make or break amount, I'm pretty sure I can use the 500$ I'd save to upgrade a different item or 5 to save the weight.

Thanks for putting things into perspective for me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom