Wide angle macro?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Cederic, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I had a compact camera with a 1cm minimum focus at 28mm (equiv). It wasn't really a macro lens, in that it wasn't 1:1, but it did let me take pictures like this:

The%20Leaf-M.
    (bigger versions here) Note that leaf is around half an inch long, although I did crop half the picture out :)

I like taking pictures like that. I like the aesthetic, I like the field of view, I like the depth of field.

I have the Panasonic 14-42 X which has a min focus distance of 20cm, but if I crop down to get the same composition as that leaf then I have a different field of view (and lose many of the benefits of a larger sensor).

I could just keep carrying my compact around but that's inconvenient and I often spot a 'macro' opportunity while generally out and about with my camera in my coat pocket, so nowhere to carry the second camera.

Any suggestions on suitable lenses?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The widest macro I can think of is the older Oly 35, which is a short tele. Wider than that, maybe you could try the Kenko extension tubes with a native wide angle.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The Rokinon 7.5 and the P8 fish eye have both macro magnification of 0.2.
    In terms of wide you can not get wider.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Close Up filter on your 14-42 should do it. Choose a good one and the results should be better than the compact. You'll need to stop down more to get the DOF of the tiny compact sensor though.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    This is from a 14-42 with a close up filter taken like open, so ya stop it down and your good.

6044362176_63b6828cb7_z.
    full bloom by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I now have (cheap nasty) close up filters - Polaroid ones bought for twelve quid including postage.

The +2 and +4 ones look like they'll meet my needs and if the quality isn't sufficient then at least I now know where to focus my purchase of something more expensive.

Right now, the quality feels sufficient. I'm only a pixel peeper _before_ I buy :)

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Usually the quality shortfall in the "cheap nasty" closeup lenses (technically, they are not "filters" as they pass all light; they don't "filter out" anything) is seen most at the edges of the frame. With the type of flower pix that have been posted in this thread that type of flaw goes unseen as the edge of the frame it only very blurred background. You may find that you are quite happy with our "cheap nasties".

I've been using a old Nikon #2 Closeup lens (+3 diopter) with my Pany 14-45 for several years and found that it delivers very good images. Nikon hasn't made these for years, but they turn up occasionally. They were designed to pair with Nikon's 50mm lenses and do a very good job. Most of the "premium" closeup lenses, often 2 element achromats, are optimized for modest telephoto lenses. They may not deliver better images with wide angles than the "cheap nasties".

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    .5" leaf will fit on the sensor with a true 1:1 macro like the PL45.

Compact cameras have a HUGE advantage in macro, especially handheld like this, due to the smaller sensor and the larger DOF it provides. On m43 for similar DOF, you are going to have to use a much smaller aperture and the corresponding longer shutter speed.

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I use the front part of the barrel and front element of disassembled tokina 80-200, reversed. Quick and dirty with any lens, using reversing ring. Or with rubber bands and wrapped with electrical tape, to protect the inside of the lens hood. I just slide it in the hood, hold it with two fingers while focusing. It even works with my Sigma 30mm AF. And yes AF still works. Not elegant, but it was handy and cheap!

And the really slick part is that I simply slip the "Adapter" in a pocket and walk on.

PS. The barrel reversed actually creates it's own nice hood.

10. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Macro Options

My quick and cheap solution. Posed with the Sigma 30mm and an old pentax hood.
    [​IMG]

Another angle.
    [​IMG]

And a shot with this combo and E-p2 at ISO 200, window side lit on a dark cloudy day. JPEG,no PP except resize for posting.
    [​IMG]

And Lady Bug out doors, cropped, ISO 100 and not sure which lens.
    [​IMG]

Gives some idea what is possible with "home grown" solutions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. wrjacobs

wrjacobs Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Cederic,
    I share your fondness for the closeup wide look, and have found the SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 to be a great way of achieving it. Here (Fall meadow morning - a set on Flickr) are some examples, though the lens can do better.

• Like Like x 1