1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wide Angle Lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lakota, Jul 31, 2013.

1. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    I have the OMD E M-5 and the 45mm 1.8 - 60mm 2.8 macro and panasonic 100-200 I am looking for a wide angle lens to complete my gear can anyone recommend what I should go for next please

many thanks

Roger

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    It depends on how much you have to spend. If cost is not a problem, I'd go with the Panny 12-35. I love mine. If cost is an issue, I'd look for a good used 20/1.7.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Roger all your lenses are short tele to long tele.
    From your post I do not understand how wide you want to go, and what is your budget.

You can get the P12-35, this is an expensive but very good wide to normal zoom.
    If you are looking for wider you have the O9-18 or the P7-14 as Ultra Wide Angle.

For primes you have Rokinon 7.5 Fisheye, O12, P14 O17, Sigma 19 and the P20.

For a full list of :43: lenses you should look at
    Micro Four Thirds Lenses - HENNIGArts : Gear

4. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    don't forget the cheap Panasonic 14/2.5 pancake, really nice little thing

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I love my 12mm 2.0. It has become my favorite lens. I go out with 2 lenses all the time, my 12mm, and 45mm lens. For the price of a 12-35 you can buy at 12mm and a 45mm. You already own the 45. You would have faster lenses, better range, & better IQ with this combo. Not too mention you would be carrying a smaller & lighter kit.

6. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    I was looking at the 20 1.7 but I don't know whether olympus have fixed the banding issue with this lens? would love to go for the 12-35 but expensive but might wait and save. anybody know what the 7 - 14 is like?
    thanks

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If you really want to save money there's the Sigma 19mm. That and the Panasonic 14mm are going to be the most cost effective wide angle lenses.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    What kind of pictures do you like to take?

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's outstanding, but the Sony sensor as implemented in the OM-D has a problem with it - major purple blotching due to insufficient IR filtration on the sensor.

The reason that I don't own an OM-D is that for me, the two most important lenses in the system are the 7-14 f4 and the 20mm f1.7 and they happen to be the two lenses that the OM-D has issues with.

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I really like the 9-18 wide angle personally. I have the 14 Pany as well but unless I want to put the OMD in my pocket I use the 9-18.

The Sigma 19 is very competent as well and inexpensive. Worth a look. I like the way it handles, the pancake 14 is just too small.

11. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    Landscape

I should of said that I want to get good landscape pictures thats why I want a good wide angle lens, I have the canon 17-40 f4l but trying to cut down on all this heavy stuff which is why i went for the OMD E M-5 you are right about the 20mm great lens but banding problems I am thinking either the 9-18 or 12-35

thanks

Roger

12. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I've never had a problem with the 20mm on my OM-D with banding or purple blotches. There are a bunch of folks, me included, that find the OM-D/20mm to be a great combo.

That said, 20mm is wider than what you have, but not exactly a "wide" lens.

13. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    banding issue

it seems only some have this issue but i would not take a chance because if I get banding I can't return the lens also seems to be an issue with the 7-14

thanks

Roger

14. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger

nice lens but according to dp review problems with edges and big problems when shooting at f16 and above

15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The purple blotches issue is with the 7-14mm on the OM-D. My understanding is that the 20mm banding issue on the OM-D is much more subtle and minor and only occurs under certain relatively unusual circumstances. The purlple blotching with the 7-14 is not subtle at all - quite pronounced when it happens.

16. I wouldn't be shooting any Micro 4/3 lens at apertures around f/16 if ultimate IQ was my goal.

17. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    As long as you are not certain what focal length to get, I would go with cheap options like the Sigma 19mm or the Pany 14mm. They are quite good, excellent even when price is taken into consideration, and they will give you a chance to figure out what would be most useful for you without breaking the bank.
    The Pany 25mm seems to be very good, the Oly 12mm is my favourite wide angle, and the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 mm is great fun.

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Given what you have, you actually have nothing from wide to normal and beyond. If I were you, I'd either look to add both the 12mm and the 25mm primes, or the 12-35mm zoom, as either one is a high quality solution to both wide and normal gaps in your system. But it doesn't cover ultra-wide. I can't tell whether ultra-wide is even a need for you - if it's not, feel free to disregard the rest of this post. There are only 3 ways presently to get wider than 12mm within M4/3:

7-14, which has the purple blotching issue with the OM-D

9-18 which I perceive to be only average quality in general, but that that may be an unduly harsh critique on my part - as I am just going by reputation, I never used the lens.

and de-fishing a fisheye lens. Not my cup of tea personally because of the loss of quality in the edges and corners, and the lack of ability to directly correlate the viewfinder image with the post-processed image while composing the shot.

19. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    9-18. Tremendously flexible and highly portable lens and will also serve where you want something closer to a normal lens. Zooms are nice for landscapes because you can rarely walk to get the framing you want.

Cokin "P" style gradual ND filters will work fine with the 9-18. I'm not sure whether the smaller "A" size will work, tho.

20. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    How wide?

I think the ultimate is the 7-14 with the back filter UV 2A which takes care of the purple fringe. BTW, that is not an occurrence in most shots anyway. This is a lot to pay for a lens unless you use it a lot. I don't have the 9-18, but I think it is a good choice too.

If you can live with a prime, go with the 12.

Phil