Wide Angle Lens adapter ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Paul80, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Not sure if this ios the correct section or if it should have gone in the lens section, perhaps a MOD could move it if wrong ;)

Anyhoo

At the moment my widest lens is the 14 end of my 14-42 zoom on my GX7 and I would like to go a bit wider 28mm was considered wide in the 1970's but not any more :( but the problem is the few wide options from Olympus and Panasonic are just out of my price range at the moment, having just bought a 40-150 and 60mm Macro, so I was looking at the Add on lens options available. I know the quality of these items is not very good but some people report some success with them and something is better than nothing, as the wife says about me "Better than nothing but only just" ;)

So anyone got any recommendations for one that is not so bad, I see that Panasonic do one, but it does not add very much being only a 0.79 DMW-GWC1 and raynox do some as well which do go wider, and if the Macro lens's are anything to go by might be quite good, is there anything worth using untill I can save another 5 to 6 hundred ponds for a propper one.

Thanks for any help with this

Paukl

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Have you looked at the 9mm Body cap as an alternative? The IQ is surprisingly good and can easily be de-fished. Very cheap, and great fun too. Yes you're limited to f8, but that's not that restrictive outdoors. Worth a look at the sample thread...

3. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Thanks for the reply

I did see those things on ebay and did wonder about them

Any idea what the Optic Quality is like, I cannot seem to find any reviews of them.

Paul

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The GWC1 is designed to work with one of the Panasomic 14-42's (don't know if it matches your GX7 lens), and that is one reson for justifying its relatively high price. The .79X gets you an 11mm equivalent with reasonably sharp and bright edges. If you start looking at the .5X adapters, I think you will find most of them a waste of money unless you can ignore distortion and vignetting.

Doug Green found this adapter, http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=fjwlfxe01. It is also .79X and quite cheap depending on what it costs to ship to England, but I believe it vignettes on most 14-42's. Works well on the 14mm f2.5.

Anyway, I appreciate the constraint of keeping things cheap when money is tight. For that reason, I don't like the 9mm body cap lens. It works well for what it is , but you're paying relatively big money when you don't have any. If you can scrape up $100USD for that, save 2.5X longer and consider the Samyang fisheye for a real wide angle option.

5. JNB

JNB Mu-43 Regular

Dec 11, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The DMW-GWC1 is designed to work with the Panasonic 14mm prime and the 14-42 Power Zoom only. It isn't designed for the other 14-42mm zooms. The quality actually exceeded my expectations for the price, but it is, after all, an add-on optic. I usually used it at about f/5.6. I found the approximate 11mm field of view to be significant vs the 14mm.

Eventually, I found a really good price on a used 9-18mm Olympus. At the same FOV and aperture (11mm, f/5.6) the Oly is better overall, and better in the corners, but not as much as one might think.

I didn't have the converter that long, but found it to be a useful addition. I did wonder, however, about the device for long-term use. It consists of a screw-on mount (one is included for the 14mm and one for the 14-42mm PZ), and then the optic bayonets on to the screw-on mount. All of this is constructed of plastic, not metal, and one bayonets the optic on and off in the same direction. It seemed as if, over time, the whole connection might wear and get more loose.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Surprisingly good considering it's simplicity and price:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-9mm-f-8-fisheye-body-cap-lens-review-24325

http://robinwong.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/olympus-9mm-fisheye-body-cap-lens-review.html

and best of all: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=59455

It's surprisingly sharp in the centre (yes corners and edges are soft and show some CA) and has at least two aspheric elements.

I'd describe it as somewhere between a 'toy' lens and a 'serious' lens. It won't replace a Samyang/Rokinon, but is definitely capable of producing good images for non-pixel-peepers. For the price (particularly from Japanese ebay sellers) IMO it's a bargain. If you regularly shoot ultra-wide it won't be the best option, but for the occasional shot, and just plain fun it's definitely worth acquiring.

7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Is the 10mm Rokinon just as light and compact as the 12mm ?

9. rhd050

rhd050 New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2014
    Maryland
    Bob Drummer
    Thanks for the post. I am going to try the Fuji wide angle adapter on my 14mm 2.5 lens. It looks like fun to play with.

10. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Fail number one and an expensive lession learned.

Whilst looking at a possible good quality converter I stumbled across the "High Quality" offerings made by Raynox and figuring the a company that makes optics as good as their DCR-150 & DCR-250 macro adaptors the Wide Angle Adaptors should be of a good quality as well, so I ordered one, only went for the 0.66 version so not too high a conversion.

Well what a mistake that was, in spite of its well made appearance, what a total bit of bottle glass that turned out to be. Soft in the centre at any aperture and totally blurred and distorted & not in a good way at the edge.

So much for trying not to spend too much on this, £50 down the drain and a valuable lesssion learned.

Next time just save up for longer :cool:

Paul

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes, it seems a lot easier to make a decent macro dioptre than a wide or tele converter. I suspect it's because all a macro dioptre does is change the MFD...