Wide angle great doubt

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    I would like to buy the Lumix 20mm 1.7 and the SLR Magic 12mm 1.6, but I have a limited budget and I can only buy one for now.

Both seem superb optical, the main use is video and film, photography as secundary, although it took many photos. Both are greats and have cinematographic look.

With which of theirs i get?

I think the panix, little more cheap, SLR have confirmated me the price of U$500.

I have a 14-42 its a regular lens, but is poor in low light condition. Also a FD 50mm 1.8, superb, great look and softness, but is limited for all angle.

PD: Sorry for my poor english and thanks. :thumbup:
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  3. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
  4. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    The 20mm is not really a "wide-angle" lens either. With the M4/3 format and sensor size it is equivalent to a 40mm lens in a 35mm format. If you're looking for a true wide-angle lens for M4/3 your choices are the Panny 7—14 or the Oly 9—(something... I forgot)
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    buy the 20..you won't go wrong....its the lens i use the most.....just enough wide....just enough normal...ignore people who say it is lousy in low light...they are crazy people trying to autofocus on running kids in a dark living room.... nothing can do that!!!

these videos were shot just with the 20

[ame=http://vimeo.com/33664827]A Chinese Dinner on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=http://vimeo.com/33975102]Lobster Dinner on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Between the 20mm and the SLR Magic 12, the 20mm is the better choice.

Having said that, I prefer the 14mm prime, but any newbie should start first with the 20. Its a great way to learn, and very much up to day to day shooting tasks in all situations. Get the 20.
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    14mm is great bang for the buck. :biggrin:
  8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't think any of the above answers are meaningful. You haven't told us what you're going to do with it, other than just "video." The two lenses are very, very different. The 20mm is pretty much a "normal" lens, only slightly wider than a 50mm on a 35mm camera. The 12mm is a true wide angle. None of us know which will be more useful to you and your shooting style.
  9. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    If you already have the kit zoom, take a look at the photos and video that you shoot and see which focal lengths you're usually shooting at. If you're consistently wishing you had a wider one than 14, than perhaps the 12 is for you, for example. No one here can really give you useful advice because we have no idea of what you want out of the lens that you're looking to buy.
  10. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Never heard of SLR magic, who or what are they? A lens with double figures isn't wide in my opinion, but as mentioned, if you want some width and have a budget consider the 14mm.The 20mm is a lens everyone should (and most do) own.
  11. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    They're a Hong Kong based lens manufacturer. They currently have four m4/3 mount products and will probably add more.
  12. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    SLR Magic is a toy lens, and doesn't even come close to the optical quality of the 20/1.7, which is superb. That said, as others stated the 20 isn't really wide angle, but it's still a great lens.
  13. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The Toy Lens (26mm) is one of SLR Magic's m43 products. Are you saying your conclusion is that the 12mm is also a 'toy' lens?
    Their 12mm from the little info there is about it ( http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/685-slrmagic_12_16?start=2 may be the best review so far ) seems to have decent optical quality and Photozone say 'The mechanical quality is outstanding', and while the 20mm may have better optical quality the 20mm is 20mm and not 12mm.