wide angle converter for panasonic 15mm

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by tg9413, Nov 11, 2014.

1. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Hi All,
    I recently scored a relatively cheap panasonic 15mm around 450. My original plan was to get the 12mm Samyang to fill empty spot on wide angel area for my lenses, but for less than a 100 more than the samyang, and 200~300 less than the olympus 12mm, I kinda just bought it without some careful thinking. Now come to think of it, 15mm is more close to a 35mm ff equv rather than a 24mm wide angle. Does anyone know any wide angle convertor that would work with this lens? I know the fuji one now is cheap and all that but I read it somewhere that it doesn't really play well with this lens, and no information on how the panasonic native and the sony one works.
    Any feed back or suggestion is welcome.

Also looking for some teleconverter too :)

Thank you very much in advance!
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice deal on the PL15, it looks like a great fast walk-around lens. My two cents:

1. I'd not bother with a TC when the compact Olympus 45mm is so reasonably priced. Any decent TC you're likely to find will need to be pretty big to have reasonable IQ and avoid vignetting, likely to be bigger and heavier than the whole O45 lens.
    2. For 12mm, a Panasonic 12-32mm pancake is likely to be sharper (especially in the corners) than mounting wide converter (the PL15 is already slightly weaker in the corners), so unless you're just interested in that fast f/1.7 in the centre, I'd not bother there either.
  3. tg9413

tg9413 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    ya the f1.7 is kinda a key thing cuz I want to do some landscape astrophotography, else I would've op for the 14mm f2.5 + the native panasonic converter.
    Thanks for the input tho, I do own a 45mm, so I guess that take cares of the tele converter part.
  4. wjiang

Digging up an old thread, but...

I recently got a clearance deal for a new GM1+PL15 for about 550 USD. I've now found a deal for a new GWC1 for about 30 USD!
    We shall see how this combo of PL15 + GWC1 performs, stay tuned.
  5. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    That's a good price! Is it a one-off private sale, or a store i.e. are there any more :smile:
  6. wjiang

7. wjiang

Well... that was an interesting but short lived exercise. As I originally suspected, the combination of GWC1 + PL15 is not good.

-At f/1.7, sharpness ranges from okay in the centre to terrible in the corners. Stopped down to f/4, the centre is a little better, but the corners remain bad.
    -Some darkening of the corners with vignetting, does not really improve with stopping down.
    -Quite noticeable barrel distortion - correction of at least 10 required in ACR.
    -Coma is terrible, and improves very little with stopping down.

The latter makes it completely useless for wide field astrophotography in my opinion. Actually, I'm not sure what this combination would be useful for. I've already got a 12-32, which is so much better at 12mm f/3.5 compared to this combination at any aperture, not to mention smaller and lighter.

I guess it's now time to sell this on to somebody with a P14 or P14-42 as it was designed for. At least I didn't pay much for it. Is anybody interested in photos before I sell it?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I'm curious what the results looked like, at least :)
  9. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I read this earlier and decided to do a comparison between the PL15 with the GWC-1 and the P12-32 at 12mm. The camera was set at manual and on a tripod so the settings and the position of the camera remains the same. You can click on the images to view them full size. The images are raw straight out of the camera and convert to dng with Adobe DNG converter then into LR4 to convert into Jpegs. I did no other P&P to either files.
    What I have notice that the PL15 with the convert has a wider fov, but with more vignetting at the corners. Take a look below, click on the images to view them full size if you wish, I would be interest in your comments.

[​IMG]GM5 & P12-32 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr

PL15 & GWC1
    [​IMG]GM5 & PL15 & GWC1 by Darren Bonner, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wjiang

I concur. By the time you correct the barrel distortion, however, the difference is smaller. I've also done some brick wall comparisons and star shots that show the poor corner performance which I'll upload later. It might be okay for a 12mm f/1.7 if you only care about the centre I suppose?
  11. wjiang

It is a kind of cool looking combination I suppose:

But as promised, here are some test shots. They were all shot using the E-M5 on a tripod in RAW, then converted using ACR, with minimal processing unless otherwise specified. You can click to see bigger versions. They're not full sized, but trust me, you don't need it to see the differences...

Brick Wall
    For some reason the metering couldn't give me a consistent looking exposure across the different apertures, so I equalised them in ACR.

And a single one from the 12-32 at 12mm, f/3.5. I only bothered with one because it was obvious even at the time that it looked better than all the 11.85mm equivalent shots above:

Here's something more realistic. For this one I had the camera on manual to get identical settings (f/3.5, 1/400s, ISO200). Focus is on the car at centre. I lifted shadows and reduced highlights in ACR so you can actually compare the details. Check out the car on the left and the windows of the house on the right.

PL15 + converter:

Some night shots - have a look at the stars, especially towards the top of frame.

f/1.7, with converter:

f/2.8, with converter:

f/2.8, without converter:

So is this what it looks like with the 14mm f/2.5 that it was designed for as well? Or is it just particularly mismatched with the PL15?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    But man is that GWC-1 cheap on that page !!!

13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Yes, incredibly cheap, but they don't deliver to europe :frown:
  14. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    That's true, my plan was to use the PL15 & GWC1 photographing bands in lowlight situations and convert to B&W, in some venues the PL15mm is not wide enough. In normal situations, I would stick with the 12-32 as from what I am seeing above, it is sharper too.
    Thanks for the examples above.
  15. wjiang