1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide angle choices

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigTam, Jul 14, 2012.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have an E-M5 and the 9-18, together with the P20, O45 and O40-150. I enjoy wide angle, primarily in two scenarios: church interiors and landscape. For the latter I don't need fast, on the contrary, I try to get some foreground in, so I need more DOF.

For the former, a little faster would be nice, even if the subject tends not to move much ...

For really wide, I sometimes take panoramas with 4-8 shots in portrait orientation.

Do I keep the 9-18? I'm fairly happy with it, though I generally prefer fixed focal lengths, and the travel lock irritates somewhat. I use the 9mm length a lot. Or do I get the P14, maybe with the Panasonic wide angle adapter to get me 11mm. Or the O12? Or the P7-14?

Any help appreciated :)

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Or the 12-35/2.8 - the only current "fast" option wider than the 14

3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Except for the Oly 12mm? But thanks, I hadn't thought of that. This makes it even harder ...

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't see where the Oly 12 fits now ... Almost the same price, size, and IQ. The prime is 1 stop faster, but the other has zoom versatility and IS.

5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I would hope the IQ is superior, otherwise you're right, not much point. BTW, I've often been to Houston. Came with my job at BMC. Great art gallery!

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    For what it's worth, 2mm does make a difference......oly-fov3-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    From how you describe yourself and your interests, I think the 7-14 is the lens for you. 12mm is a wonderful focal length - my favorite 'standard' wide angle focal length. But it can't even begin to accomplish what the UWA can.

I treat my 7-14 mostly as a 7mm prime. And boy is it a fine, well made, very sharp lens. I've read that it is the sharpest of all the m4/3 native zoom lenses. All I know for sure is that in my experience, this lens is truly the jewel in the crown. The 9-18 is a nice lens, but for the true UWA shooter, the 7-14 is the pinnacle UWA for m4/3.

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    DHart, I'm leaning in that direction, too. On my DX Nikons, my Sigma 10-20 was a favourite. Which is almost exactly 7-14.

Unfortunately, my wallet is leaning in the opposite direction.

Hmmmm ....

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
  10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The 7-14 is my favorite lens. NOT my most used, because it doesn't work for every kind of subject, but I love the results I get from it. It's also a very high quality lens with great IQ. The only negative is there's no easy way to use filters on it. On occasion I'd like to use an ND.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Meyer, I think I might have to sell the 9-18 and get the Panasonic ... But it's a pain in the .... wallet :)

12. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Consider this another hearty thumbs up for the 7-14. Fantastic lens- perhaps the best one in a kit if you're going to use it- and many reviewers say its one of the best UWA lenses available for ANY system.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
  14. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Tolesy.... Colt Series 70 reissue, customized and hard chromed by Virgil Tripp himself. Blued carbon steel with hard chrome and numerous enhancements, including flattened slide top with arrow head serrations, serrated front strap, premium fire control components, arched serrated MSH, short solid trigger shoe, Novak combat sights, lowered and flared port, etc. I'm quite a 1911 fan and this is one of my very favorites among many. I specialized in firearms photography for a while, but all with FF 5DMkII, so nothing with m4/3 gear. I need to shoot some of the cherry examples with some m4/3 gear just for the fun of it. :smile:

15. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I can also recommend the 7-14 which, for its focal length range, is extremely sharp, but with a caveat that might matter to you. I just took the lens on a European vacation where I photographed a lot of church interiors--one of my big reasons for buying it. I experienced repeated examples of purple flare spots and shadows when photographing dim interiors with bright windows. (Also lots of purple edges in high contrast areas, but this is easily fixable in Lightroom 4.1.) I've seen this in other people's photographs, so it's not just my copy of the lens. This is the first UWA I've ever owned in 30 years of photography, so I can't say whether it is inherent in the breed or a characteristic of this particular lens. It is, however, very difficult to remove and can wreck some shots. In other situations, the 7-14 performed extremely well, allowing nice, sharp 16x20 enlargements.

16. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Cmpatti, I do a lot of church interiors as well. So far, my 9-18 is doing a good job. I think I will check the 7-14 samples on Flickr and here to test your thesis.

If I really need wider than 9 in a church, I go for a panorama.

17. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    There are a few examples in my gallery, including church interiors, where the lens is not misbehaving. (Ignore the slight softness--they are sharp on my screen but never seem to survive the transfer to the web for some reason.) I'll try to post a couple of examples of the flare problem when I get home tonight.

18. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Good thread this, been considered whether I should just keep the 9-18 or sell and buy a 12mm / 7-14mm.

It actually seems to me that the 12mm fulfils a different use than either of the zooms, I might just keep the 9-18mm for now and add the 12mm.

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    chrism... I have three of these and for my purposes, each of the 12/2, 9-18, and 7-14 serve different applications.

Is having two or three of the three necessary - definitely not.

Is having all three to choose from depending on application a good thing? Yes it is, though probably too extravagant for those with tighter budgets.

If I could keep only one of the three... it would be the 7-14 without hesitation.

If I could keep just two of the three... the 7-14 and the 12/2.

Would I be able to get by with the 9-18 and 12/2? Yes, but I would most definitely prefer the 7-14 instead if push comes to shove.

20. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I've looked at a few reviews now and it seems the 9-18 at 12mm is almost as good as the Oly 12 f2. Just not as fast.

For landscape that doesn't matter. For church interiors, maybe I should simply rely on the OM-D high ISO competence ...

I can't say I'm not happy with the 9-18 quality!