Wide angle C-Mount suggestions

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by fstop, Mar 9, 2013.

1. fstop

fstop New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2013
    I recently bought a set of m43 adapters to use a few of my older lens with. In the set of adapters was a c-mount adapter. I spent a few hours looking into possibilities to add to my lens collection but feel like there are so many choices and I have so little knowledge. I'm looking for a wide angle lens in the 35mm equivalent of 18 to 24mm range that's f/2 or better and I'm looking for a bargain basement price. Any suggestions with a budget of approximately $50?
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    On the wide side, it's going to be difficult (read: expensive) to find adapted lens options. This is due to the 2x crop factor inherent in the four thirds sensor. The range you're looking to cover translates to 9-12mm lenses on a 35mm film camera which are going to be slow and expensive compared to native :43: glass. In general, you're going to be much better off covering the wide end with native lenses (e.g. the Olympus 12/2, Panasonic 14/2.5, Oly 17/1.8, Panasonic 20/1.7, etc.)

As far as c-mount lenses go, the widest one you're likely to find useable is around 25mm (which corresponds to a similar FOV of a 50mm lens for a 35mm film camera). Even then, the 25mm c-mount doesn't quite (or just barely) covers the :43: sensor, which means you'll see a good amount of vignetting.

You can pick up a 25mm c-mount for around $25, but it's something I consider almost a "toy" lens.
  3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    There are some decent c-mount lenses available, but for wide angle keep in mind that you will have to use the 2x teleconverter mode to avoid vignetting. The Rainbow 8-48 (16-96mm equiv) f1.0 , Rainbow 11.5-69mm f1.4, and the Tokina/Sony/Canon 12.5-75mm f1.8 can all be had on ebay fairly cheap. There are instructions on modifying the Rainbow 8-48mm for use on MFT cameras - just google. An f1.0 zoom lens for under a $100 is good bang for the buck.