1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wide angle C-Mount suggestions

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by fstop, Mar 9, 2013.

1. fstop

fstop New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2013
    I recently bought a set of m43 adapters to use a few of my older lens with. In the set of adapters was a c-mount adapter. I spent a few hours looking into possibilities to add to my lens collection but feel like there are so many choices and I have so little knowledge. I'm looking for a wide angle lens in the 35mm equivalent of 18 to 24mm range that's f/2 or better and I'm looking for a bargain basement price. Any suggestions with a budget of approximately $50?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    On the wide side, it's going to be difficult (read: expensive) to find adapted lens options. This is due to the 2x crop factor inherent in the four thirds sensor. The range you're looking to cover translates to 9-12mm lenses on a 35mm film camera which are going to be slow and expensive compared to native :43: glass. In general, you're going to be much better off covering the wide end with native lenses (e.g. the Olympus 12/2, Panasonic 14/2.5, Oly 17/1.8, Panasonic 20/1.7, etc.)

As far as c-mount lenses go, the widest one you're likely to find useable is around 25mm (which corresponds to a similar FOV of a 50mm lens for a 35mm film camera). Even then, the 25mm c-mount doesn't quite (or just barely) covers the :43: sensor, which means you'll see a good amount of vignetting.

You can pick up a 25mm c-mount for around $25, but it's something I consider almost a "toy" lens.

3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    There are some decent c-mount lenses available, but for wide angle keep in mind that you will have to use the 2x teleconverter mode to avoid vignetting. The Rainbow 8-48 (16-96mm equiv) f1.0 , Rainbow 11.5-69mm f1.4, and the Tokina/Sony/Canon 12.5-75mm f1.8 can all be had on ebay fairly cheap. There are instructions on modifying the Rainbow 8-48mm for use on MFT cameras - just google. An f1.0 zoom lens for under a $100 is good bang for the buck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.