Wide angle battle , Pl8-18 vs O9-18 vs laowa 7.5

amit

Mu-43 Regular
Hi !
I need a wide angle lens , for landscapes and more , mostly outdoor.
I really enjoy my samyang fisheye ,but many times the fisheye is not the right tool.

My current gear is em10 ii , and oly 12-40 which I love , I can get a lot of fine detail with this lens and would love to get a wide lens at its level.

Oly 7-14 , I belive it would be too bulky for me (the12-40 is my limit).
Oly 9-18 , not sure about the quality, can it stand next to the 12-40 ?
Laowa 7.5 mm , I see wonderfull samples on flickr , however , for me ,manual focus is really hard (some old eye injury I carry).

And there , we have the 8-18, the size seem to be as the 12-40 , takes filters , and a bit expensive .
Not sure about using pana lenses on olympus body.(I know that P7-14 is a bit problematic with olympus )...

What do you guys say?
:)

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Isn't Olympus releasing an ultrawide f/4 soonish? Unless they drop the ball on the optics, that would probably be the way to go for performance+size. Otherwise, it seems like you've ruled out the Oly 7-14 and Laowa 7.5 already. That leaves the O9-18 and P8-18. I love my O9-18 for its size but if you're critical about corners, it's not the lens for you. P8-18 seems to be excellent, if you like the size and price.

Go for the 9-18 for size and price, go for the P8-18 for its optics.

Edit for disclaimer - I am considering putting my O9-18 up for sale.

Last edited:

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
Ditto @ooheadsoo's advice.

My friend bought the PL 8-18 because it would take screw-in filters and is weather-sealed, good to have for travel.

I have the little O 9-18, and for what little UWA I do, it's enough. It is no match for the 12-40, IQ wise, but I love its compact size and relatively good performance. Great for a travel kit or occasional use. It would be a good match for the EM10 II size-wise. I bought mine refurbed, for what I thought was a reasonable price. I wouldn't pay the full retail for this lens. However, if you're doing landscape and need edge to edge sharpness, you probably should go for the PL 8-18, or use your 12-40. One could do a panorama with the latter if you need really wide coverage.

But, I'd be very interested in the proposed 8-25 f4 Pro if and when it comes out.

Last edited:

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, I think it is a shame you are ruling out the Oly Pro 7-14. Yes it is a bit bigger than the Oly Pro 12-40, but it actually is better than the 12-40 :).

If you really want small, I'd go for the Laowa, although that is MF only.

I used to have the Panny 7-14 F/4, and really liked it, but after getting the Oly Pro version, I really stopped using it, because it just was better even if a little bigger and heavier. Bigger and heavier is relative anyway, considering I have both a full MFT setup and a FF one :).

Kind regards, Wim

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
If you want just one UWA lens as a jack-of-all-trades, the Pan. Leica 8-18mm is that lens. Everything I've read and seen tells me it's fine on an Olympus body, unlike the Pan. 7-14 (unmodified). An 8-25mm/4 would be another great option if it materializes.

I prefer more specialized lenses in the ultra-wide range: the Oly. 7-14 for low light and ultimate IQ (think indoors, woods, night sky, twilight landscapes) and the 9-18 for portability and range and for when I want to use an ND filter.

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the Laowa 7.5 and Oly 9-18, and I like the Laowa better. It’s incredible for Astro, but for landscapes, just set it to f4 or f5.6 and focus at 4-6 ft, and you’re set.

Real Name
Paul
I've had the 9-18 and the Oly 7-14; the PL 8-18 is much more way better. Better image quality and range than the 9-18, and same IQ but more practical than the 7-14. In my outdoor adventures I run with two bodies- an M1mkI with either the 300f4 or 4/3 150f2, and M5mkII with the 8-18. From there I'll switch up to other lenses but the 8-18 is my default starting point.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Isn't Olympus releasing an ultrawide f/4 soonish? Unless they drop the ball on the optics, that would probably be the way to go for performance+size. Otherwise, it seems like you've ruled out the Oly 7-14 and Laowa 7.5 already. That leaves the O9-18 and P8-18. I love my O9-18 for its size but if you're critical about corners, it's not the lens for you. P8-18 seems to be excellent, if you like the size and price.

Go for the 9-18 for size and price, go for the P8-18 for its optics.

Edit for disclaimer - I am considering putting my O9-18 up for sale.
What I love about the 12-40 is the amount of detail I get in every photo, also the color and contrast , I can see the difference from the kit lens instantly . It has the same Iq as the f1.8 primes.
I would love to get a wide lens like it.

amit

Mu-43 Regular
I have the Laowa 7.5 and Oly 9-18, and I like the Laowa better. It’s incredible for Astro, but for landscapes, just set it to f4 or f5.6 and focus at 4-6 ft, and you’re set.
You dont have to focus again with each photo ?

amit

Mu-43 Regular
Well, I think it is a shame you are ruling out the Oly Pro 7-14. Yes it is a bit bigger than the Oly Pro 12-40, but it actually is better than the 12-40 :).

If you really want small, I'd go for the Laowa, although that is MF only.

I used to have the Panny 7-14 F/4, and really liked it, but after getting the Oly Pro version, I really stopped using it, because it just was better even if a little bigger and heavier. Bigger and heavier is relative anyway, considering I have both a full MFT setup and a FF one :).

Kind regards, Wim
But for the small em10 it would be huge! ,and can you attach nd filters for it?

amit

Mu-43 Regular
If you want just one UWA lens as a jack-of-all-trades, the Pan. Leica 8-18mm is that lens. Everything I've read and seen tells me it's fine on an Olympus body, unlike the Pan. 7-14 (unmodified). An 8-25mm/4 would be another great option if it materializes.

I prefer more specialized lenses in the ultra-wide range: the Oly. 7-14 for low light and ultimate IQ (think indoors, woods, night sky, twilight landscapes) and the 9-18 for portability and range and for when I want to use an ND filter.
Do we know when the 8-25 will be released?

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I have not seen nor heard of any rumors if or when it might appear. If you can wait, you can see if it shows up, but if you need something soon, better to look at what's available now. :)
I’d not place too much faith in the rumours these days. Several recent releases have had no more than a couple of months from first solid rumours to actual release date.

By solid rumours I mean anything beyond wild speculation just because either:
  1. Something is on the lens roadmap; or,
  2. The time passed since the last mark of a camera body line).
The 12-45mm PRO, 100-400mm, E-M10 Mark IV spring to mind.

I’m sure someone will point out that we have seen a mock up of the 150-400mm PRO since around a year ago but I’d say that’s a halo product that Olympus have been deliberately leaking. Plus the delayed Olympics and all.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
But for the small em10 it would be huge! ,and can you attach nd filters for it?
Huge is reataive :). It is not as if my Pen F and EM-1 II are so much bigger if at all. I also have a FF setup, so either way this is very small to me :).

As to filters, you can't directly add filters to it, only a large filter holder allows you attach nd filters to it. The question really is how often you will use it? If you plan to do that a lot, I would think you would need to go for the PL 8-18.

Personally I have given up with filters for digital, as DR is so large that you generally can get from an image what you'd want anyway. The only reason, IMO, to still use a filter, is an ND filter indeed. Even so, properly stacking a bunch of images could well give you the same effect - I should give that a try some time myself :).

Kind regards, Wim

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
For what it is, I love my O9-18, but it doesn't compete in the same league as the 12-40. On the other hand, I got mine for 150€ 2nd hand, and it fits a pocket in my cargo pants. It brings images I wouldn't be able to take otherwise. I'm not serious enough about nature and landscape to invest into any of the UWA big boys.
IQ is paid for in cash and in bulk. You can't expect the O9-18 to take on the pro offering simply because physics. But it's a very fun lens to have.
I use it to do quick panorama with google photo, like that : https://photos.app.goo.gl/FRkXvU3G6zBThkDeA . Or this one : https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNfoSXAuzwDPJVH06cIrkl-73-pM2NU3FyVr-Zt ; you can stitch better by hand, but for a fully automated process, it's already impressive.
Cheers,
M.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What I love about the 12-40 is the amount of detail I get in every photo, also the color and contrast , I can see the difference from the kit lens instantly . It has the same Iq as the f1.8 primes.
I would love to get a wide lens like it.
Simple answer is that to match the 12-40mm Pro quality you have to get Olympus 7-14mm (very big lens) or Panasonic 8-18mm, which is clearly the best option.

Consider the Olympus 9-18mm only if you want a budget lens which is very small to have in the bag. The corners are not very good with it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom