1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

wide angle adapted

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rejo, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    I've been looking for a wide angle for my gf1 for some while but I can't find a good used one at the right price. Was hoping to get hold of the oly 9-18mm, but they seem to be few and far between.
    So the question is what nikon or canon wide angle lens are people using, done a search but didn't come up with much.
    Or is there a better way to do this ? :smile:

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    You'll quickly get into diminishing returns with legacy wide angles. The 2x crop factor of :43: mean that most "wides" turn into normals. Anything we could consider wide enough (<14mm) will be slow, heavy, bad performers or expensive. I'd advise you to go native on this one.

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Because the legacy glass we commonly use was designed for a much larger "sensor" (35mm film), wide angle for that format typically meant 24-28mm, and lenses < 20mm were almost unheard of. Wide angle on a m4/3 sensor means < 15mm, those lenses just didn't exist (with rare exceptions) back in the film days.

4. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    wide

markb
    thanks for the quick reply , thats kind of what i was thinking . looks like i'll have to keep looking for the 9-18.

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    There were a couple on sale here recently but you had to be quick :smile:

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    There aren't too many rectilinear superwides that would work as wide angles in legacy lenses that I am aware of. The best I've ever used - not owned, just used - is the Canon FD 14/2.8 L. That would only be a 28 equivalent on :43: and that L still means "expensive enough to make Leica buyers notice". Most of them tend to be fisheye.

Perhaps there's something in the AF glass out there, but I never bought into that much and EOS or Nikon G lenses would be wide open any way since there is no aperture dial.

Good luck! Let us know if you find something.