1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

wide angle adapted

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rejo, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    I've been looking for a wide angle for my gf1 for some while but I can't find a good used one at the right price. Was hoping to get hold of the oly 9-18mm, but they seem to be few and far between.
    So the question is what nikon or canon wide angle lens are people using, done a search but didn't come up with much.
    Or is there a better way to do this ? :smile:

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    You'll quickly get into diminishing returns with legacy wide angles. The 2x crop factor of :43: mean that most "wides" turn into normals. Anything we could consider wide enough (<14mm) will be slow, heavy, bad performers or expensive. I'd advise you to go native on this one.

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Because the legacy glass we commonly use was designed for a much larger "sensor" (35mm film), wide angle for that format typically meant 24-28mm, and lenses < 20mm were almost unheard of. Wide angle on a m4/3 sensor means < 15mm, those lenses just didn't exist (with rare exceptions) back in the film days.

4. rejo

rejo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    Netherlands
    wide

markb
    thanks for the quick reply , thats kind of what i was thinking . looks like i'll have to keep looking for the 9-18.

5. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    There were a couple on sale here recently but you had to be quick :smile:

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William B. Lewis
    There aren't too many rectilinear superwides that would work as wide angles in legacy lenses that I am aware of. The best I've ever used - not owned, just used - is the Canon FD 14/2.8 L. That would only be a 28 equivalent on :43: and that L still means "expensive enough to make Leica buyers notice". Most of them tend to be fisheye.

Perhaps there's something in the AF glass out there, but I never bought into that much and EOS or Nikon G lenses would be wide open any way since there is no aperture dial.

Good luck! Let us know if you find something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.