1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wide angle (18-50) 1" sensor camera from Nikon!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by hazwing, Feb 23, 2016.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Nikon covers all focal lengths with three 'DL' enthusiast compacts with 1"-type sensors

Nikon has announced a new range of 1" sensor cameras with fixed zoom.

One that interest me the most is the 18-50 (35mm equivalent). It's fairly wide angle and has a pretty good range, non bulbous font element. Hope the lens has good resolution.

This might be an alternative for those waiting for a sharp, smallish wide angle prime from the m4/3 world, that accept filters.

2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Hopefully the price is not expensive as RX100 IV

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I noticed in the email marketing this am they call it a "Big 1-inch sensor". I guess Olympus and Panasonic should re-brand their sensor as "Mega Micro-fourthirds" CMOS sensor.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Can't be that "enthusiast" since there's only one dial - and that's an exposure comp dial (apart from the pointless PASM dial - such a waste of a good knob!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I think there is also a dial around the back four way switch too. Looks really interesting overall, have they listed a MSRP yet?

6. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    Prices are set on a swedish reseller: 8590 skr, approx €920, for the 18-50.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I could travel the world with two of these and be happy.

8. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    US prices are at the bottom of the OP dpreview link.

All three cameras will be available in early summer with suggested retail prices of $649 (24-85), $849 (18-50), and $999 (24-500).​

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I was originally really excited by the 18-50, but then I realized that despite the fast lens, the main disadvantage of a smaller sensor for wide-angle landscape work is not the noise, it's the dynamic range. And so while it is almost just like the dream M4/3 lens I was proposing (10-30mm/f2.8-4), it still loses a stop of dynamic range compared to my GX7.

It's also quite a bit thicker than the other compact 1" cams.

I think that the TZ100/ZS100 is still the more exciting option. In most circumstances I take panos to get the 18mm FoV, but 25-250mm in a smaller, cheaper package with a built-in EVF is just way more versatile for me as a supplementary camera. And unlike panos which amplify quality, there's no realistic way to crop a 250mm FoV out of a 20MP file shot at 50mm...

That said, it will all depend on how good the lens is, and how quick Nikon is to slash the price. Then again, Panasonic isn't shy about reducing prices on their 1" models, either. Though right now they still have no competition to the TZ100, despite Nikon's announcements today...

10. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

11. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I really like the Olympus 9-18 for its versatility, and think a lens as versatile as this upcoming 18-50 (probably 6.7-18.5 native) is long overdue in a compact camera. I have high expectations, as the Nikon 1 6.7-13 enjoys a very good reputation as a sharp lens (at the wide end, at least). I might get the DL camera for indoor use if its IQ is comparable. That might be a lot to ask, though. While DPReview's comparison tool suggests the new 1" sensor is less than a stop noisier than micro four thirds, I've noticed severe mushiness in a lot of Nikon 1 J5 images even at base ISO. I hope that's due more to poor post-processing or excessive in-camera JPEG noise reduction than to the limitations of the sensor and the RAW files.

12. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    The TZ100 fares quite favourably against all of those, from the looks of it.

Compact Camera Meter

The 18-50 is a bit bulkier than I'd hoped. About the same size as my GX1 + 20mm/1.7, though obviously smaller and with a wider range than the 9-18mm.

As before, it all depends on how good the lenses in these products are. Fixed lens cameras live or die based on that quality...

13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Looks like second dial is on the back - same as GM1 or EPL5.
    lens speed and range, tilt screen, optional EVF - that looks like good walk around camera.

14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wonder if the 18-50 model will be good for Astro. The lens is 18mm equivalent at f1.8. If we use sensor size math, we get to f2.4 equivalent on m4/3

According to DxO (and assuming it it the Nikon J5 sensor) there is not too much DR difference:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 vs Nikon 1 J5 vs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II | DxOMark

They show half a stop or less vs the latest m4/3 bodies at base ISO.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    From DPR: The new DL24-85, DL18-50 and DL24-500 will be available in early summer 2016 for suggested retail prices (SRP) of $649.95*, $849.95*, and $999.95*, respectively. Nothing special, nothing ridiculous.

16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    That's not so bad, then. I guess they've finally switched to sourcing their chips from Sony rather than Aptina...

As far as astro goes, I tend to use a fisheye, but for people who have more room to compose or don't need to fit in as much, the 18-50 does sound interesting.

17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Maybe from Samsung since they're back side illuminated. There were lots of recent rumors of a Nikon-Samsung partnership of some sort.

Fred

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Dimensions listed on the 24-85 are not correct. I has it listed as 140.9mm, but the 18-50 and 24-85 are both about the same 106mm wide.

19. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Oh, I wasn't even looking at the dimensions listed, just the visuals.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    that's the odd part, the visuals look correct, numbers are off. Like the numbers on the Fuji X70, the had the length and height backward.