1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

wide and tele converters for my em5ii

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Jul 30, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i want a bit more width for my oly12-40 pro (and rok 12/2) and a bit more reach for my panny 45-200.
    im quite new to photography and the way i understand it, is that these converters attach between the body and the lens, so i do not need to buy lens size-specific converters. is this correct? and what would you gurus recommend i get ?

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    A wide converter mounts on the front and is lens-specific...at least if you want decent results. Skip it and get a 9-18 IMHO.

A teleconverter mounts between the lens and the camera and is also made to be paired with specific lenses for best results. Not sure if the 12-40 is one of them but others here will know. A quality TC paired with the right lens the results can be stellar.

3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The only teleconverter for m4/3 is the Olympus MC-14 and it only works with the 40-150 Pro and 300 Pro.

Never been a fan of those that attach to the front of a lens. If you want wider buy a wider lens in my opinion. I use the Bower 7.5mm fisheye for my wide angle needs.

Others will come on here and swear by the ones that attach to the front. i have never seen results that are better then cropping in post.

4. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    You see these converters more often in fixed lens cameras that can't change lenses.

If you need wider coverage your best results will come from a wider angle lens such as the 9-18 or 7-14 if you have the cash.

I'm unsure if there's a teleconverter for the Panasonic lens, and I don't believe there's one for the 12-40 PRO. The MC14 certainly won't fit it. You may wish to consider the Olympus 75-300mm lens as an alternative. I can't comment on quality as I don't own one.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The 9mm fisheye BCL is cheap and small and decent.
    The 7.5 and 9-18mm are also pretty small and quite good.

6. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Agree with posts saying get a proper super wide zoom or prime... 9-18, 7-14, Fisheye etc.
    On the long end... You lose a lot of light through a teleconverter. I would rather buy and inexpensive zoom like 100-300mm etc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 app