wide and tele converters for my em5ii

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by travelbug, Jul 30, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    i want a bit more width for my oly12-40 pro (and rok 12/2) and a bit more reach for my panny 45-200.
    im quite new to photography and the way i understand it, is that these converters attach between the body and the lens, so i do not need to buy lens size-specific converters. is this correct? and what would you gurus recommend i get ?
  2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    A wide converter mounts on the front and is lens-specific...at least if you want decent results. Skip it and get a 9-18 IMHO.

A teleconverter mounts between the lens and the camera and is also made to be paired with specific lenses for best results. Not sure if the 12-40 is one of them but others here will know. A quality TC paired with the right lens the results can be stellar.
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    The only teleconverter for m4/3 is the Olympus MC-14 and it only works with the 40-150 Pro and 300 Pro.

Never been a fan of those that attach to the front of a lens. If you want wider buy a wider lens in my opinion. I use the Bower 7.5mm fisheye for my wide angle needs.

Others will come on here and swear by the ones that attach to the front. i have never seen results that are better then cropping in post.
  4. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    You see these converters more often in fixed lens cameras that can't change lenses.

If you need wider coverage your best results will come from a wider angle lens such as the 9-18 or 7-14 if you have the cash.

I'm unsure if there's a teleconverter for the Panasonic lens, and I don't believe there's one for the 12-40 PRO. The MC14 certainly won't fit it. You may wish to consider the Olympus 75-300mm lens as an alternative. I can't comment on quality as I don't own one.
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    The 9mm fisheye BCL is cheap and small and decent.
    The 7.5 and 9-18mm are also pretty small and quite good.
  6. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Agree with posts saying get a proper super wide zoom or prime... 9-18, 7-14, Fisheye etc.
    On the long end... You lose a lot of light through a teleconverter. I would rather buy and inexpensive zoom like 100-300mm etc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 app