1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Wicked way to quickly change filters!!!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LowriderS10, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

First...a disclaimer: I'm in *NO* way affiliated with the company, nor do I own any of their products. I have nothing to gain from this post, nor can I back up anything with personal experience.

With that out of the way...check this out!!! This is the coolest little gadget I've seen in a long time!! I often get annoyed at the amount of effort and time it takes to put a filter on/off my camera for just one or two shots (daytime vari-ND mostly). Also, I'm constantly worried that I'll mis-thread and kill the plastic threads on my lenses...well...here's a solution:

http://www.xumeadapters.com/

Here's the kicker, though...they don't make it in 52mm, which is a fairly popular size in the M4/3 world. So...I sent them an email asking them to start making it.

If you like this idea, please send them an email - info@xumeadapters.com - and ask them to make it in 52mm!!

Thanks!

Mods, I hope this is okay, I'm not trying to advertise, I'm merely hoping that we could get a cool product that's available to shooters of other systems into our hands as well!! :)

Cheers,
    T

• Like Like x 2
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have actually wondered why magnets haven't been used before. The product looks to be well made and isn't crazy expensive, although it is higher than I would pay. They are also missing some very popular sizes. You already mentioned 52mm being popular in m4/3{on larger lenses maybe} but this size should have been the most common! For instance most old Nikkors and many newer ones use a 52mm. I believe Canon is similar, using 52mm for many of it's lenses. Also there is nothing smaller than 49mm so for m4/3 we would have to size up{a lot in some cases} with the smaller lenses. Of coarse there is a faster option that has existed for a very long time, slide-in square filters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah, 52mm was pretty much the most common filter size for a few decades...although not so much anymore. Still...with more and more mirrorless cameras/lenses coming out every year, I think the 52mm size is seeing a revival.

Yes, square filters are an option...however...I dislike them because they take up too much room and I'd have to get all new filters. These are certainly a bit on the pricey side, but I'd happily pay it if they made a 52mm. I get annoyed quite a bit at having to screw on/off my vari-ND, especially in crowded places, etc.

4. speedandstyle

With all my old Nikkors, I would serious consider getting it in 52mm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    A+ for innovation !

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I have a set of these, two 58mm screw-on bases and a few 58mm fronts. I use them when I will be shooting stills and video outdoors. I can then slap-on my 58mm variable nd quickly. To make lens caps work as well you need 58mm lens caps with the xume fronts.

I use two heliopan brass step up rings (seem not to bind like the cheap aluminium step up rings) 37-58mm for my O45 and 46-58mm for P14/20/25 to get everything to 58mm standard. It is convenient to need only one size of lens cap. The trade off is slightly larger diameter and extended front for the smaller lenses.

Most other lenses that I have owned are 58mm (O14-150, O40-150, O75, P35-100), although my system will break if I ever get the O12-40 which is 62mm I think.

The only negative I find is when shooting video and trying to adjust the variable ND or a polorizer is tricky to do one-handed as the filter turns as well as the front xume magnetic adaptor.

Other than that, the system is great! I could try to upload some pictures if anyone is interested.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sure, I'd love to see it!

Also...I'm not quite clear on the lens cap...will a lens cap snap onto the base normally? Or do you have to get the adapter for the lens cap to work? This could be a deal-breaker for me, as I stopped using UV filters for protection and have gone back to using caps regularly.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    It is a nice idea. It might intrude on the corner lighting with some wide angle lenses? Because it seems to be as long as maybe 2 normal filters together?

9. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Very interesting, although a little pricy. Will the magnets affect the operation of the lens in any way? Thinking specifically of the AF motors and stepper motors for the aperture blades.

Michael

10. speedandstyle

It shouldn't. The motors used in most lenses are not magnet based but use sound waves. A few early AF lenses had magnet motors in them but that was years ago.

• Like Like x 3
  11. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    This would have been great when i shot with a full spectrum converted G3...

And as far as 52mm threads go,

From their FAQs

"Do you plan to add other sizes?

52mm adapters are on order and should be available before the end of 2013; we are considering offering 62mm adapters. Contact us to be added to our list and be notified and additional sizes become available. We do not share your email address with anyone"

• Like Like x 1
  12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm going to ask them if the magnets would affect the memory cards...I don't think they're strong enough, but always worth asking. Also, I got an email back from them...I'm hoping they get it on the market ASAP, because I'm going home (Canada) in January for a couple of weeks, and would love to pick some up (they're horribly overpriced in Korea!!!...three times what American retailers sell them for!)

Email from Xume:

Hi,

Yes, the 52mm adapters are on order and we hope to have right after the first of the year. If you like we'll drop you a note when they are available.

Many thanks for your interest!
    david

13. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Um, not entirely sure what you mean. Not that I don't believe you but I don't see how sound waves can be a lens motor - and most ways of creating sound waves are electromagnetic anyway. Can you explain how this works? And don't worry about getting technical - my background is in electronic engineering.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Well colour me surprised! Similarly, I wasn't going to disagree - but just didn't know how this worked so did some digging.
    The lens motors are piezo-electric - not electro-magnetic...you really do learn something new every day!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_motor
    From the wiki:
    220px-Piezomotor_type_inchworm.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Most interesting reading! PZT transducers are unaffected by magnetic fields as you say. I am now enlightened! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

16. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    To the comment about memory cards, they make a statement on their website that the magnets will not have an effect on memory cards or internal operations of the camera. I am curious what would happen if you stored memory cards right next to these things in your camera bag though...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. csgardner45

csgardner45 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2013
    There's nothing magnetic about the storage of a CF or SD card, so there are no issues with rubbing magnets all over them. :D

This looks pretty awesome-I want a set!

• Like Like x 1
  18. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ever see a product and become instantly sold on it before they even finish the sales pitch? Yeah, that. :biggrin:

I use all 58mm and 77mm filters for my lenses so this is great!

• Like Like x 1
  19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    FYI according to the website, on the 77mm filter page:

"All other sizes are in stock and we also have 52mm Adapters coming soon."

So it looks like 52mm will be available in the near future for everyone asking for them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. speedandstyle

Update! I sent an email to them and asked about 52mm, here is their reply.
    So 52mm is coming and maybe other sizes too. I know I will get a set for 52mm since I can use them with so many of my old Nikkors and filters.

• Like Like x 1