Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ssgreenley, May 24, 2013.

1. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I love the idea of wirelessly transferring files from my camera. Unfortunately, I'm too poor for the EP5! What's the best option for my EPL2?

1) Pen Pal - This has depreciated to the point of affordability. I like that it's made by Olympus so I have faith it will play nice with my camera.

2) Eye-Fi SD Cards - These are pretty cheap too, and seemed like the go-to solution for a while.

3) Cheap Knock-Off Eye-Fi's - As I mentioned, I'm super poor these days, so if these will likely suffice I'm interested.

Primarily, I just want to be able to transfer photos from my camera to my iPhone while I'm out. Geotagging seems like a plus (but not necessary). Also, I'm really just looking for a stop-gap as my EPL2 is long in the tooth, and GAS is building up...
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Just a cautionary note on EyeFi. I had significant trouble shooting with a WiFi card using my E-PL1. It worked okay for a while, but after a couple of weeks I would take one or two shots (on a newly formatted 8GB EyeFi card) and I would get an error message saying that the camera couldn't write to the card.

I went round and round with EyeFi support even sending the card back more than once for testing/"repair". I believe at one point they even sent me a new card. But the issues wouldn't go away and I eventually just stopped using the card with my E-PL1.

I broke the card out again when I upgraded to an E-P3 which has EyeFi "support" (not sure I ever really nailed down what that means) and the card has worked great in the E-P3 ever since.

All that said, I'm not sure if the problem was the E-PL1 or the card or the user, and I'm not sure if the issue would extend to all E-PL1s or to any other models (like your E-PL2). When the EyeFi card works, it's a nice solution and it's quite possible that you would have none of the same issues I ran into, but I thought I'd share my horror story so that you can go into it with eyes wide open (and have someone with whom to commiserate if you get an EyeFi and experience similar problems).
  3. cuegeee

cuegeee Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    FYI - Penpal does not work for Apple products. Mine sits in a drawer.

Rather then mess with the wifi cards while I'm on the go, I transfer imaged to iPad/iPhone via SD card reader.
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    ...a card reader! :wink: Seriously...that or something like a card adapter if you have an iPad...
  5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    I got the Eye-Fi 16gb card three weeks ago, and so far it's working quite well on my OM-D. True, transfers aren't the fastest, but it sure is nice to be able to take pics of the kids around the house and have it already waiting in Aperture/iPhoto for me. Ditto for the iPhone when I'm out and about, allowing me to email pics/post photos on the road. Has added a new technical side to my OM-D that I'm digging quite a bit. Getting one for the wife now, too.
  6. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    Do you shoot RAW? And if so how fast are typical transfer speeds? I would assume fairly slow?
  7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Eye-Fi seems like the way to go. How is the usability/interface when used with an iPhone?
  8. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    I picked up a 4GB Eye-Fi recently for $27. I use it in my GF3 and sync with my iPhone 5.

The software interface isn't great. There's no option to browse photos via the phone app, it just serves to connect to the Eye-Fi card and initiate automatic transfer. You can set the card to automatically send ALL photos or set it to only send photos you've marked as "protected" on your camera.

I use the "protected" option as I don't want every photo snapped to go to my phone. Here's my general flow:

Take photos.
    Review photos and delete the bad/repeat shots.
    Mark favorites as "protected" in the camera.
    Break out my phone and close out the Eye-Fi app if already open.
    Re-open the app.
    Turn off the camera, then turn it back on.

Usually within a few seconds it'll start transferring automatically. If you're on local Wi-Fi, it's that easy. If you're away from Wi-Fi, you'll need to add a step of connecting your iPhone's Wi-Fi to the Eye-Fi card (it shows up where other hotspots would).

In short, it is not super intuitive and it is sometimes finicky. But it gets the job done and for $27 it's been we'll worth it. I do plan on getting an EP5, which looks to have the Wi-Fi functionality I really wanted the Eye-Fi to have. But $1,000 > $27.
  9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    I do, though lately I've been shooting primarily JPEG since I don't have time to PP anywhere near as much as I would like to- or should.

Having used the card some more since the initial post, I'd like to add some additional thoughts:

1. Image transfers are "fine" speed-wise for JPEG's- I haven't done any formal testing, but I'd say the images take maybe 3-5 sec to transfer. RAW files should take longer, I'd expect roughly by the multiple of the file size.
    2. The longest part of the transfer seems to be the initial establishment of the wifi connection. Once that's done, it looks like the file transfers then proceed at the 3-5 sec/jpeg speed. As long as the network connection is maintained, the transfers continue at that same rate. Believe you can adjust the length of time the network connection remains up, with the main caveat being that I'd imagine it'd take its toll on battery life if you left it up for longer.
    3. Every now and then the connection can get flaky. Noticed yesterday while shooting in the botanical gardens that images weren't coming over to the iPhone. Had to force-close the eye-fi app and restart it, then the images started coming over. Has happened a few times.
    4. Thankfully, there's an icon that shows up on each pic to indicate whether it's been successfully sent over. Nice touch.

Over all, it's no where near as seamless a connection as it should be, but it works fine for my needs (travel photography, taking pics of the family, etc).
  10. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A possible option...

I purchased an SD wifi card a few weeks ago through Amazon.com. Here is the link: Amazon.com: Wifi Sd Memory Card 8GB Class 10 New New Inc® 2nd Generation Ez Share: Computers & Accessories

It is a class 10 and appears to be less expensive than other comparable brands of SD wifi cards. It has been well received so far at Amazon receiving very good reviews.

The card has worked very well so far. I don't know how the transfer process compares with other brands. I can connect to the camera via the card from my laptop, my IPhone, and my IPad. I can use an IOS app (free to download) or just browse using the local wifi URL address to the card in my camera.

11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    For transferring RAW files I think you will need the Eye-fi Pro X2.

I recently bought an eight gig version (£32, class 6) and tried it out at a family get together over the weekend. As mentioned it takes 15-20 secs to make a connection once (in our case) the iPad was switched on and then 2-3 secs per JPEG. Although I normally shoot RAW+JPEG for this I decided, as I was only shooting a few candids, to not do RAW but could have done really.

It worked flawlessly all day (~140 shots) and Oly JPEG's + Retina display quickly became a real talking point.

There is also a 16G, class 10 version as well but I went with the cheap one just to try.