1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wi Fi novice....EM-1 to computer.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Can my EM-1 send my images to my computer, if so, can someone please give me link or explain how to do it.

All the manual mentions is a smartphone nothing else.

EDIT.....for a 'Pro' camera should it not have this capability.

TIA

Dave in W

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I think you're right. I had a quick google and although no one explicitly states wi-fi support for non-mobile devices (supported smartphones/tablets) it doesn't look like this use case is covered for laptops & desktops.

Does anyone know if the QR code used for pairing the device sends you to a URL (ie a private web-server running on the camera) ? If it just sends the app to a web-site you might be able to hit that location from a pc web-browser.

I know Nikons D4 looks like it works this way in terms of network tethering.

3. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    There is as of yet no way to do this. The we code just has the private wifi network said and pw info in it to speed things up.

4. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think it's possible, but it'll take a bit of work. As mentioned, Olympus designed the wifi access to work on a smartphone, not a bigger computer.

The key thing to understand is that the E-M1 is designed to pretend it's a wifi router, it doesn't join into an existing network. So you have to be using a laptop or desktop with a wifi card, and then tell the computer to attach to the camera's network (instead of your usual home network). The QR code isn't really needed, it's just a shortcut for typing, but you have a real keyboard now. All you really need to know is the SSID and password of the camera's network, which it displays on the screen along with the QR code. I think you'll want to tell the camera to use a non-private network.

Once your computer is attached to the camera's wifi network, you then need to run some software to actually transfer the images. There isn't a PC version of Olympus Oi.Share software, but for just fetching images you should be able to use a web browser. You'll need to find the IP address of the camera and just point your browser at it. There's instructions for using a smartphone browser without Oi.Share, you'll be following that pattern.

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    :eek:

Thanks Mike, but that's all way over my head.

I'll stick to removing the SD card and poking it into a reader.

6. mistercheah

mistercheah Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2010
    I tried using Bluestacks which basically allows for Android apps to run on desk tops. Unfortunately, the Mac version of Bluestacks was defective. So I had to stop the experiment. I am not sure about the Windows version of Bluestacks as I son't use Windows machine.

My idea was:

1. Install Bluestacks on desktop
    2. Download Olympus Image share in Bluestacks
    3. Run the app
    4. Connect to EM-1 by keying the SSID and password as per EM-1

A thought just occurred to me, maybe I can use VM to run the windows version.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The whole idea of having built-in Wi-Fi in the camera is (1) to allow you to quickly edit or share your images via your mobile device, and (2) to use your mobile device as a remote control of your camera. The intention certainly wasn't to allow quick remote connection to your home computer. After all, the SD card is easily accessible on the camera, so by the time you have the Wi-Fi connected, you could have already pulled the card out and transferred all images onto the computer already...

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a minor oversight, but an oversight nonetheless. Why limit yourself to a tablet or phone? A laptop is also a 'mobile device', and tethered shooting (studio setting, for example) via WiFi would be pretty ideal. Popping out the card mid-shoot vs. immediately being able to check critical sharpness on a 27" IPS panel (for example)? Big difference.

Do I care? Not particularly. But if you've got a mobile app, there's no reason not to build a desktop OS app.

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You're probably right that it should be there as well. I guess it's just not something I'd use the Wi-Fi feature for.

10. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Anyone else having trouble connecting their smartphone with the camera? I got it to work only once or twice on my iphone 3Gs...but have not been able to repeat that recently.
    I get a failed to connect message after scanning the barcode.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    You only need to scan the barcode once in your first use. Thereafter, they will automatically hook up. Make sure your phone's Wi-Fi is not connected to anything else when you're trying to hook up with the camera.

12. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Got it working now...was all about the sequencing of setting the phone to the camera's wifi network before trying the access via the app. Some reason I thought just scanning the QR code would take care of all that...

Very lagged connection to my old iphone 3GS...like about 1 sec. I've also got it working now on my Blackberry Z10 smartphone via an Android phone app port into the blackberry...lag is now under 1/4 sec. But, not able to save the image to the phone after capture...not sure where the problem is...could be the "hacked" install, a known bug on droid phones, or a security issue on the blackberry.

13. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    So... it DOES work on PC (if you have a wifi connection) or laptop. Unfortunately its use isn't all that stellar unless someone can figure a way to download all the images off it real fast... maybe FTP into it or something. Here is what I did:

Turn on the camera's Wifi
    Find the Camera in your PC's network connections. Connect to it and put in the passcode that is on the camera.
    Next, in the browser window, put in the IPv4 Default Gateway number (Find this by looking up the Network Connection Details). This is what it looks like:

OlyWifiTest.

What is interesting to note is that there IS an actual interface with some styling set up, though this likely could just be because the OISHARE on the camera has built in styles already, but maybe Oly actually did think about possibly making wifi connect to a computer. It still remains a mystery why Oly doesn't have this feature as it is easier for me to suck down 16GB of photos onto my computer than it is to try and shoehorn those into my 16GB phone.

• Like Like x 3
  14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I fully agree and don't understand why the WiFi wasn't setup to work with a PC as well. My 10" Windows tablet would have been a prefect accompaniment for the E-M1 in the field. Once again we could have had tethered shooting with Olympus cameras on a full-sized screen. But who would want that???

• Like Like x 1
  15. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    Amen. I consider it a pretty huge oversight as I initially thought that the WiFi connection meant I could connect it wirelessly to any wifi capable computer, tablet or phone.

16. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Only works for JPEG right?

It would be ideal if the em1 automatically logged in and dumped the file to a samba share.

17. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    To me it looks like there runs a simple http server on the cameras so it shouldn't be a big deal to write a little wget script that looks for new pictures and automatically downloads them. It was possible the same way with the transcend wifi cards.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

18. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    Everyone needs to email Olympus support to request an app for PC/Mac and Windows Phone. I did and they said they'll pass it on to the developers but I assume there won't be action until there is enough demand.

19. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    You can connect to the camera on windows machines through a browser , this is only good to view and download the photos - because of the way olympus presents the SS card as somewhat of a remote disk via wifi
    Theoretically , camera control is possible but without knowing the protocol or having a custom windows app - practically it is hard

20. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    You could try Genymotion, it's available for Windows, Mac and Linux and way faster than Bluestacks. They've a free version on their website.
    http://www.genymotion.com/
    If your CPU isn't too old (it uses some cpu specific features) it runs as smooth as a real device. You can install the Play Store on Genymotion and then get the Olympus App from the Play Store or just sideload it.