Wi-fi internet radio?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by noelh, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Looking for a basic wi-fi internet radio. MPR, NPR, BBC World, CBC. Basically news & information stations. So audio quality is not number #1 on the list. Not looking for anything that connects to the home sound system. Easy use as defined by set up, finding the stations are the most important factors. Looked on line at the review covering various Grace and Logitech models. Bit pricey, all seem to have some issues. Anyone have a basic model that is built to last?

The best radio in the house and the only one that picks up a decent NPR signal on most days/nights is a late '70's vintage Panasonic.
  2. hathi

hathi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Philadelphia PA USA
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Have you considered an Apple TV? They are only $99 now, cheaper than most standalone internet radios I have seen, and they support internet radio stations. The downside is that you would want to hook it up to a TV and/or stereo (you could use the TV speakers).
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    As an old radio guy, I feel your pain.

What are the issues you have with the Grace and Logitech models? I have a basic Grace model (mono, single speaker) in my bedroom that has worked flawlessly for several years.

Also, I recently bought my wife a two-speaker dock/charging system by Logitech for her iPod Touch. So we use her iPod as another Internet radio in the kitchen. Of course, we downloaded the radio.com, iheartradio and tunein apps, which pretty much cover everything.

I have to be honest... nothing beats the ease of set-up with the iPod. And since you can download different apps for Internet radio, you can get almost any station that's online. But, the iPod Touch is over $200 and the dock another $150. Still, it works fabulously.

With the Grace, you pretty much have to work through the Receiva website to set up your free account and add and remove stations from your favorites list. But it should be noted that all known Internet stations are preloaded into the radio... it's just that it's a long list to scroll through. That's why you need a favories list. And, from those, you also have some pre-set buttons on the front of the radio. With the Logitech, again you may be limited to only certain services.

More questions? Just ask.
  5. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I use a Squeezebox Boom as my alarm clock. It's handy as I like to have about eight different alarm times set up for any given week, and the local radio stations are mostly pretty unbearable. I would strongly recommend the entry level Squeezebox Radio as being a pretty good fit for your needs. I've seen them on Amazon or BHP for as low as $99.99 on a REALLY good sale, or around $130 more regularly. If you might get tempted by sound quality, the Boom is actually pretty reasonable - no comparison to my KEF 105.2s, but surprisingly good all the same.

Logitech - Squeezebox
    Amazon.com: Logitech Squeezebox Radio Music Player with Color Screen (Black): Electronics
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    what the heck is wi-fi internet radio? Are they beaming the internets through the airwaves now? I'm feeling very old and confused. I'm gonna go listen to the BBC on my shortwave radio.
  7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Luke... if you're serious, wi-fi Internet radio involves a "radio" (actually a small computer of sorts that looks like a radio) that picks up an Internet signal from a wireless router - the same device that people with laptop computers use in order to be able to move those laptops freely around the house or office. And, as you've probably guessed, thousands of radio stations around the world stream their programming on the Internet. You can hear these stations on a regular computer, but the router set up allows you to enjoy the programming in a more convenient and casual way. Reception is better than shortwave as well. If you're just joking - which I strongly suspect - then never mind. Maybe this post will inform someone. Or not. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I use an iTouch, an Apple dock w/ Klipsch speakers and the iHeart app. Works very well (when I adjust the volume via the dock remote it also adjust the volume on my Apple laptop and desktop computers).

9. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    I use an iPod Touch and TuneIn app.
  10. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    anyone knows which iOS app that can accept manually keyed in stream URL ?