1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why you should not use a filter for night photography

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by shoturtle, Nov 11, 2010.

1. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I was board and wanted to play around. So I took my epl-1 and 20mm out to do a comparison. I decided to take a shot with my haze010 filter that I use when in harsh environment with me to show why filters are not something you want to use when shooting night shots with strong light sources. The results are more apparent at night why filters are a bad idea. And it was a multi coated filter.

First shot without filter, second shot with filter.

2. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Worst example I've seen is in this thread on l-camera-forum. Don't know if you can see the pic without being logged in, but the short version is it made the lady look like a vampire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    nope, can see the photos. But I have seen some bad flare and ghosting with filter on night shots.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I honestly think it has a lot to do with the type of filter. All of the following used a B&W MRC filter:

PC227681southbank.

PC227687southbank.

PC227690southbank.

PC227708southbank.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    It was a bw mrc

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If it's an MRC filter, it should have 'MRC' printed on the filter ring. The one you refer to doesn't look like an MRC filter.

Cheers

Ray

7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    it is the only bw that is 46mm. And it is tag mrc. The photo is a generic bw photo, I just check it out it is a slim filter, not even a regular one. It is all about how the light hits the filter.

8. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
  9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I know that filters can create unwanted flare, but for some reason I've never really experienced it and all of my lenses have filters on them (B&W MRC).

Cheers

Ray

10. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I have tiffen HT cpl, BW haze and hoya HMC ND filters for my epl-1 for when I need them but, normally shoot without any filters on.

11. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

When I first picked up my EP-1 with the kit lens, I had no filter, and it made me nervous: the lens is simply too easy to fingerprint. I picked up a cheap tiffen filter to fit, and it kept the fingerprints off.

But talk about reflections! Ruined not a few night-time photos. I picked up a BW F-Pro 010 UV MRC and these disappeared entirely.

Picked up fundamentally the same filter for the 17 f2.8 as well, perfect.

JohnF

12. 996gt2

996gt2 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 27, 2010
    Even the best multi-coated filters (i.e. B+W F-Pro MRC or Hoya Super HMC) can cause flare and loss of contrast in certain conditions. They are fine for use in standard conditions, but for night photography filters should generally be avoided.

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    My shots were with a bw f pro mrc haze filter. It does flare from how the light enter the camera.

Even my tiffen HT for my dslr flares at night base on how the light enters the lens.

14. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have some B+W F-Pro MRC filters and while they are excellent, they still invoke more flare than having no filter. Hoya filters are about the same but cheaper to buy. These are probably the best two perfomers you can get when it comes to flare resistance.

I have stopped using all UV or haze filters.

15. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    I do not use UV, just a haze for harsh environments.

16. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I just avoid fingerprinting my lens. When I do need to clean it, it's not much more difficult than cleaning a filter. I don't put anything in front of my lens unless I want it to be a part of my photograph in some way.

17. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    In response to an earlier post in this thread by Streetshooter.

I just purchased 2 LensPens, both the original and the DigiPen. I may continue with the use of filters, but I want to be ready in the event I'm talked all the way out of their use..

18. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    Out of interest does the UV/Skylight filter reduce haze as it did with film or are digital cameras not prone to this effect in the first place?

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    The skylight do affect the photos with digital. It really brings out the pink.