Why you choose M4/3 & will you stick with it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by henavs, Jun 14, 2013.

1. henavs

henavs Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2013

Its been over a year since I took this photo. I still love every moment of using E-M5 or simply admiring its design. Still using the same setup as above wherever I go except the 12mm f/2.0 has been replaced with 17mm f/1.8.

Tried & owned many mirrorless models such as Fuji X100S, RX1 & NEX-6, but so far none can replace M4/3 system for me. E-M5 excels almost in all area.

How about you? See yourself sticking to M4/3 in the near future? :smile:
  2. henavs

henavs Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2013
    My M4/3 journey started about 4 years ago when I was sick of lugging my DSLR & wanted something small.

So I brought back the cute GF1 & E-P2. Little did I know those little buggers planned an uprising. The next morning I found all my DSLR gears murdered! :eek:

Anyway, I ended up selling GF1 & using E-P2 for about a year. Despite being somewhat inferior to GF1, I still prefer Olympus camera.

But after more than a year, I was frustrated by the lack of good lenses & went to Sony SLT.

But when E-M5 was released last year I just couldn't resist. So I jumped back again, lol. I also have D600 which I use for portrait/studio/paid assignment. The E-M5 is my travel/outing/street cam.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    LOL. Send Olympus marketing that second one.
  4. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    no doubt! :43::drinks::drinks:
  5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I'm monogamous (until I'm not) so I plan on sticking with m43 as long as it makes me happy. It would have to take a pretty huge jump in technology to make me switch at this point. One thing about m43 is that it's brought me back into photography, and I'm discovering (as countless others have before me) that the gear is the least of my limitations.

Not that I don't appreciate the gear!

One final comment: if I switch systems, it'll be to one that's even smaller than m43. The #1 reason I still don't take as many pictures as I'd like is because I don't always 'lug' around my camera. If camera phones keep getting better it may solve my problem.
  6. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    I chose :43: initially for the size factor. I stopped shooting for a whiel, but when I got back into it, because of this forum mostly, I discovered the options for lenses were alot cheaper and I still liked the form factor.

As long as :43: stays around, so will I.
  7. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    I've bought my first system camera, a GF3, after being terribly disappointed by a Fuji bridge camera. I liked the compact package, few buttons and hoped for better image quality. I wasn't disappointed.

After a few months I began to ran into the limitations of the GF3 and bought the G5 and I'm happy with it. I know that the G5 is somewhat of a mini-DSLR, but to me it's something different that "normal" DSLRs. DSLRs (especially fullframes) appear unfriendly to me. I feel freakish and seperated from the scene with them.

For my sort of photography m43 ticks all the boxes so I'm planning to stay...
  8. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Almost all my Canon gear was stolen, and I was increasingly tired of carrying it anyway (30D), so I didn't stick with the system.
  9. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Those are awesome (and hilarious) photos, henavs.

Me? It was about nine months ago. I was replacing my old Canon S2IS superzoom (which, compared to today, was faster and had a sane zoom range of 10x) and extremely disappointed with the results from today's compact models. It wasn't THAT much better than what you can get from a phone. So I went looking for something a class above.

I knew that DSLRs are a dead tech and that mirrorless was the future. So it was just a matter of finding a ILC with a viewfinder, fully articulating screen, and a built-in flash. All of those features were on the ancient S2IS and I appreciated them. That left me with the Panasonic G3, G5, GH2 and GH3. I wasn't ready to lay out the cash for the GH series, and I liked the eye sensor of the G5. I pulled the trigger and the results I received were so good they completely changed the standards I hold for cameras.

I've since spend a couple grand on lenses, and a fair bit less than that on a real flash (Vivitar DF-383-OP) filters (mostly FOTGA, good stuff for cheap) and am looking at the 35-100mm once I pay off the 12-35 in a couple months.
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I've been in and out of m4/3s a couple of times, as well as Fuji X stuff and NEX. What I've found (for now) is I seem to prefer the combo of a DSLR and a small, versatile camera (RX100).

edit: If I could only have one camera or had to choose a system it would be m4/3s (E-M5).
  11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I have loved the concept of m43 since it began. However, I was and am never an early adopter, so I waited a few years for the system to mature (I even waited almost an entire year after the OM-D was released, just so I could have all the reviews and research that I needed) - and it has. I gave up an amazing 5DIII kit for my current kit, and I have been really pleased.

I will continue to support m43, and follow it's development. It is a concept and camera system that really speaks to my needs and wants as a photographer. There will never be a perfect camera for me - but this is close enough, and with that I can be satisfied.
  12. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Near future, yeah, I'll stick with it. Looking forward to seeing what the GX2 brings to the table, for example. And probably getting in on a GH3 when the price drops, or seeing what it's successor looks like.

I do prefer (personally, no intention of starting a debate over what's "better") my full-frame rig, but I keep my GH2 in my glove box and I almost always have my GX1 in my messenger bag, so - the best camera is the one you have with you, right? For taking advantage of wholly unanticipated situations or "on a whim" shoots on my lunch break, it's indispensable.
  13. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
  14. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I am currently traveling through Myanmar carrying a G5, 12-35, 35-100 and a Niokton 25 mm. They all fit in a small shoulder bag. No other camera system offers such a superb range of lenses in such a compact form factor. The image quality is terrific and totally satisfies all my needs, I can see me keeping with m4/3 for a long time.
  15. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Well....I have always been a fan of Olympus...since the OM film days. The LX3 introduced me to Panasonic ( still love this little camera). My interest in video and video editing sparked my interest in the GH2. I loved the size and form factor of Micro 4/3, and it was time to make a change from an older Olympus E500. First came the Panasonic GH2 and various lenses....then came the Olympus OMD and various lenses.....next??? ( got my eye on the GH3!).
  16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Future belongs to Mirrorless cameras and MFt will lead the pack:)

This is a very interesting and my fav topic ...
    Why MFT?
    1)The size does matter when it comes to cameras .MFT offers all types of compact and big bodies suit needs of all type of males( photographers).
    2) Lenes- the best lens line up in Mirrorless world
    3) Firm commitment from Panasonic and Olympus
    4) Offers the IQ which rivals the best APSC- and close to FF upto ISO 1600

I am open to any other system and tried FUji few times,but MFT will remain m main system .
  17. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I, too, was not an early adopter of the :43: system. I was too busy building my pro kit but that didn't mean I wasn't watching lol.

I chose the :43: because it had matured as a system where I felt comfortable to try it out. Between Oly and Pana, they were coming out with great bodies and lenses. They were lighter than DSLR kits, build quality was good, image quality was great and... well, just plain fun. I wanted an Every-Day-Carry camera kit and boy this system was a home run.

I plan on staying with :43: in the coming years... If it were not for my gig work, I'd sell off my pro kit and just have :43:
  18. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    Portability with the quality/versatility of bigger formats and I can hand it over to someone to take a photo of our family without having to explain a whole lot :thumbup:

I might stick with the format for that purpose. Although I'm still waiting for Nikon FF to go down in price, would love to use that for fun stuff again :biggrin:
  19. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I echoed almost everyone here. Chose m43 because of (1) size-factor especially on lens and (2) the retro look of OMD roughly about 1.5 year ago. Since then, the system taught me (1) how to shoot with primes mostly with trio of 14/25/45, (2) lens does not have to be black to be good and (3) flash and tripod both are optional in most shooting situations. I do not foresee switching until there's major upside in other system ... and so yes I'll stick with it most likely for quite some time (years).
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I like m4/3 - I like the size, I like the design (mostly) and I like the quality.

What I don't like are the missing lenses. It's been 4 years and there's still a serious lack of quality mid-speed zooms. I'm sticking around for now, but I'm keeping my eyes open.