1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why would you purchase a new camera body?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Johbremat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Simply as a matter of conversation.

• I'm relatively new to ILCs
    • In the past six months I've purchased an E-M1 and E-P5
      • Bought for their differing form factors with consistency in output and operation
      • Currently using O12-40 and O17
    • For hobbyist purposes: fine art and landscape, primarily
    • No misconceptions about becoming a professional, but would love to be generating equivalent output
    Don't imagine replacing these bodies in my lifetime as I'd barely shoot 100 pics in a month - figure actuations won't be a problem - and treat my gear like my life (and wallet) depend on it. And if m4/3 continues to exist for another 5 years and I can get all the glass I'm looking at, I wouldn't me too concerned (certainly sad) if it went the way of Minolta or 4/3 before it.

Technology progresses, either incrementally or in leaps-and-bounds. Once purchased these cameras are all but superseded and devalued. I'm happy with my decision and have little intent of getting the E-M1mkVII or E-P10.

But curious as to why others change their gear up as often as their underway (yes, I'm personally aware of the horrors of G.A.S and am a recovering sufferer). Under what circumstance would YOU purchase a new body? What's the oldest, still-operable piece of digital kit you have in your possession?

2. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I have a Canon Powershot 1100SD IS that my iPhone 5 replaced, Johbremat. I bought my first MFT, an Olympus PEN E-PL3, back in November, but replaced it with an Olympus PEN E-PL5 because I wanted some of the newer features it offered. However, what is really want is your E-P5. And I will get it (probably not yours, but one like it...) by June. Specifically, I want it because of its two top exposure control buttons, its built-in Wi-Fi, and its 5-axis IBIS, which my E-PL5 doesn't have. I bought my Canon 60D two and a half years ago and haven't even thought about replacing it, but the micro 4/3 world is new territory for me and I am still "exploring."

3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I'm considering a body upgrade to my E-PL1 as I'm looking for a built in EVF and better AF and high ISO performance. I still plan on using my existing m43 camera as a secondary body outdoors in good light - it still takes great photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Well, I suppose it comes in under the category of GAS to some degree, but once I can afford it, I would really like to upgrade from my GH3 to a GH4. It has a lot of improvements I would find valuable, mostly video-related but also photos (better focusing etc). Most specifically for me, I don't like that the GH3 lacks focus peaking, and that it uses 4:2:0 for video, rather than 4:2:2. (This is especially important for green-screen work)

5. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have the Pany G3 that I bought new when it came out (and I absolutely love it) - and an Oly EPL2 that was purchased as a refurb (wanted to try out the different form factor and also love the EPL2). I'm happy with what I own . . . something newer won't make me a better photographer. I've always felt it is the person not the camera, I've seen beautiful shots off a 4 megapixel Canon and crappy ones off the latest and greatest. Now legacy glass is a different story, I always love hunting down a nice vintage lens, but then again they don't cost me an arm and a leg.

6. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Singapore
    Leo
    I bought an EM5 for the better low light and bulit in vf, stuff that my EPL1 didnt have.

It was not a replacement though as I still use and love the EPL1. I also dont see an upgrade anytime soon and my GAS mainly fall on lenses. :p

You have a awesome set now so unless you really find the limitations of the cam hindering u from getting that shot, u are good.

Sent from my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2

7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    For the past 3 years the bright light image quality of still cameras has not improved and since that's what I shoot I see no compelling reason to get a new still camera. Video is an entirely different matter - what with all the new game changing 4K video capable cameras and camcorders from Sony, Panasonic, JVC, etc. So yeah I'd purchase a new body for video. But for stills, my 2010 model E-PL1 is still state of the art.

8. PandaSPUR

PandaSPUR Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2014
    Lets see, my first ILC was the G1.

Next, I bought a Canon 5D, reasons:
    • I wanted to try another format
    • I wanted the shallow DoF of FF
    • I won the 5D on ebay when I didnt expect to win

After that, I bought the GM1 (just last week), reasons:
    • G1 was breaking down (literally, physically) cause I had a bad drunken night with it.
    • I wanted an everyday-carry camera. G1 was still too big, and my LX3 just didnt satisfy me.
    • I wanted a camera with video capabilities. G1 and 5D dont have any, LX3 was very basic.
    • High ISO. As nice as my 5D is, the literal max is 3200 and I can just tolerate 1600. G1... I wont let it go past 800.
    • Do you see how tiny this thing is!? DO YOU?!

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm a camera slut. I buy them because it's fun to play with new stuff. Don't see that changing anytime soon.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Replaced my GX1 with a GX7 in less than 2 years because of the EVF.

But if I had unlimited money, I'd be changing gadgets like I change clothes. Not just cameras, but phones and laptops as well.

11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Honestly, I have all of the lenses I want. the E-M1 didn't have enough for me to get it over my E-M5, so I'm waiting for the next couple of years for the E-M1 successor. A new sensor would tip me over the edge, the E-M1 upgrades weren't enough.

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have as far as system cameras go an EP-1 the only one bought new, 2X G3's that are so low in cost now its a no brainer, then there is a Nikon D90 and a Fuji S3. I can pull the G3 raws to get whatever I want (well any cam I have) so to move up to another camera it has to offer me some thing the others do not. So as I do not use MF lenses much I can live without focus aids and wifi is of little interest though I would consider a G6 when they are south of £200. I do not need fast burst modes, I used to shoot Motor Sport on Kodachrome 200 (Rallying) on Canon FD so there is not really much the current crop of bodies offer that I want. I would be tempted if Sigma produce an M43 with their sensor tech as it is interesting, on the whole I can't see anything in the newer bodies that warrant spending a fortune on over a used G3 or now G5.

13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    The reason I would purchase a new camera body and often do, is quite simply, because I can.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Speaking for myself, ^^^^ this!!!! LOL. Although I did use and abuse my Canon 5D for 5+ years before finally moving on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    A new body would need a purely subjective "WOW" factor. The E-M5 had that when I handled it and said "Cool", so the newer models don't interest me. I think the idea of keeping a digital camera for more than a decade seems possible, but ultimately ones needs change and the older technology shortcomings become apparent. It's similar to cars - why get a new one, yet my friend is hesitant to drive his 1998 185K miles F-150 beyond metro Chicago.

16. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I would also love to have the GH4 but I settled for the GH3 because of cost (not only camera body cost).
    To work with 4K efficiently I would need:
    - The new Apple Mac Pro (I always been Mac-based so I won't change that)
    - More and bigger harddrives
    - The new expensive SD cards that 4K needs
    - The XLR and video output unit for the GH4
    Etc.

So the camera cost itself would be a small part of the total cost. That is why I choose the older one. I also got the GH3 at a very good price point.

-----

This is how I calculate if I should go for a newer camera body; I count all the costs the follow and then validate against if I really need the new things right now.

For example - The GH4; I don't need 4K right now. I can wait a couple of years. Hopefully I've updated my Mac Mini i5 dual core to a Mac Pro (my dream machine) or a more powerful Mac than I have right now for video editing. When all the bits and pieces fall together and if I still have enough money - then it would be time for the camera body upgrade.

17. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    In the process of replacing my e-pm1 with e-pl5. Low light, better resolution, extra dial, ability to touch focus (don't care for other reasons for touchscreen) were my reasons. In the future i imagine i'll probably update due to 5 axis ibis, wifi, 1/8000.
    Other stuff like viewfinder, intervalometer and others would be good but are not a reason for upgrading the body imo.

sent from my Xperia Z

18. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I went from Nikon DX to M43 when the E-M5 arrived; M43 crossed a line in image quality that was important to me, and became 'good enough'. Love the size and weight, hated the menu's but managed to set up the camera to my likings after a steep learning curve. The new E-M1 and E-M10 offered nothing that made me consider buying a new body straight away. Frankly, unless high ISO or pixelcount take a dramatic step forward, I can't imagine trading up in the foreseeable future.

This does not mean there won't be a new body ever.
    The E-M10 might be a great second body for event shooting (I prefer working with primes, and come from the time when a two-body set up was normal). Same batteries, pretty much same controls, slightly cheaper, very good for a second body.
    And the Panasonic GM1 looks like an ideal small 'every day' camera with a nice zoom. And it has the option of back up body for my other lenses while travelling. The only thing missing there is in body stabilisation, but since it is just an emergency body for my primes, that might not be a deal breaker.

Anyway, first things first, and a second body can wait. When is that 25 1.8 hitting the shelves? :smile:

19. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I dislike being a "consumer", so I buy much of my camera stuff used. Have too much now, and the photo quality of most of my cameras (even my '37 Voigtlander) is good enough for my 17" printer.
    We really don't need to have new cameras every 6 months...

• Like Like x 1
  20. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    I would buy a new body only if I cannot do something with camera body I have yet. I' m using an e-pl1, a lovely body, but I could switch if I'll find something that could make me better photo in low light (f.e rock concerts). I saw used e-pm1 (could use same accessories of e-pl1), gf5 (not sure if it would be an upgrade, no vf) and sony nex 5a (still, no vf) or nex f3, but again, vf will cost me too much.. so, no new body, until technologies (and money, obviously, even if I search in the used market) won't tell me I can do a lot better in my use, easily, and why not, for cheap