1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

why would Panasonic never include IBIS?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CanonConvert, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    this question just popped up in my head while i was holding my gh2 and e-pl5 at the same time.

if panasonic put 5axis IBIS in the gh3, wouldn't it really be the perfect m43 camera ever made?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The decision made by Panasonic to put the OIS in the lens is a smart one. Panasonic customers are forced to get stabilized lenses from Panasonic when they go to the mid to long telephoto. This makes the cheap body a honey trap. Customers who want to add telephoto lens are forced to buy Panasonic lenses, while Olympus customers can buy any. This is probably the reason why Panasonic have in the short telephoto 5 products that address the low end to the high end markets.

3. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I prefer in lens stabilization. But I also prefer to have it switched off, as tripod or monopod do much better stabilization for me ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I find this question interesting coming from someone with the handle "canonconvert" LOL

There are as many technical arguments for OIS as there are practical arguments for IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. deejjjaaaa

deejjjaaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2011
    no, we arе happy w/o any shutter shock that Olympus IBIS can't stabilize... thank you, but no thank you.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It's a status quo thing. Each company simply has their own way of doing things which in the end amounts to the same. If manufacturers wanted to give us everything we could hope for, then they would provide IS in both body and lens, and allow us to choose. Which thankfully ends up being what we get as users of the open Micro Four-Thirds standard, since we have manufacturers who use both paths and us lucky users get to combine both at our own pleasing. I don't understand how anybody could complain about that. ;) No other system I can think of has that kind of option to mount a native IS lens onto a native body with IBIS, and choose which one we prefer to use.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Counterpoint is that bodies come and go - lenses are the real investment.
    So why not a cheap body if you're going to get rid of it in 2-3yrs anyways? :wink: :cool:

8. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez

• Like Like x 2
  9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    This is exactly what Panasonic is doing. The G3 a 16 Mbit camera is for sale at 250$. GX1 is priced at half the retail. Panasonic business strategy is get the body cheap and make money from lenses. I am quit sure that the gross margins on lenses are much higher then bodies. At Panasonic lineup there are many expensive lenses with high gross margins examples are 25mm, 45mm macro, 12-35 and 35-100. I can even put the 14-45 in that list.

10. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    panasonic bodies aren't exactly cheaper than olympus bodies right? e.g. the gh3 vs e-m5?

Ned : yup, m43 is a great concept - but i'd love to have the ergonomics of the GH series, coupled with the sensor+IBIS of the E-M5. no mfg has done that yet :(

11. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    On the average Panasonic bodies are cheaper, GH3 in an except. The G3 which is 16mbit body with articulate screen and EVF, for only 299 it is 100$ less then the EPM1 an outdated 12 Mbit, without controls EVF or articulate screen. The GX1 for 449 compared to the competition EPL3 (12Mbit) for 599. The GH3 is new with short supply and great demand therefor Panasonic milk it.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Serious question here: Does the GH3 not have the shutter shock issue or does can the IS lens better compensate for this?

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Okay Ah....
    I see you've got some strong feelings in how Panasonic does things...

And yet, I see that you shoot with a Panasonic body :confused:

14. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's how they explained it.

While attending a few of the shows, I've asked Panasonic this question two times. Two different people gave me the same answer, the later being one of the GH3's designers at the Photo Plus show in NYC. They explained that IBIS offers a fixed amount of correction, that will decrease slightly as the focal length of the lens increases. That made perfect sense, as we've all experienced more hand held jitter with a long lens.

Panasonic's stabilization uses a magnetically suspended lens element, located approximately at the midpoint within the lens. It's mechanically tied to the zoom function, so the correction is proportionally constant as the focal length changes.

• Like Like x 3
  15. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    No feeling regarding Panasonic just business analysis. Since i live in a sunny country EVF is a must.
    The only body with integrated EVF from Olympus is the OMD.
    I would love to have IBIS and when I got the G5 two weeks ago I have also considered the OMD because of it.
    I have chosen the G5 because I got an open box from B&H for 430$ a price that the OMD can not compete with.

16. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    During my engineering career I had to give all sort of technical explanations to business decisions.:smile:
    I read some where that when using legacy lens, you need to dial in focal length, for the IBIS to work. Olympus probably also take into account the focal length in their stabilization.
    From the technical explanation it looks that the OIS implementation is a very cheap solution to make. Technically the OMD IBIS is superior. Cost consideration the Panasonic solution is superior, they succeeded to put it in the cheap P14-42 kit lens that is sold for free as a kit lens.

17. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    And you know this how? Do you work for Panasonic? :confused:

18. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    No I do not work at Panasonic and I do not own their stock.
    When you set a strategy for a product introduction you chose between the two option (Low margin = High volume) or (Low volume = High margins). If you break this roles and make Low on both, you lose money and if you make high on both you are called Apple.:smile:
    All these product have little competition or they are priced much higher then the competition. In term of design, BOM and tooling this margins are not justified. Therefore I guess Panasonic chose the (Low volume = High margins) strategy.
    Panasonic is doing what any company will do in such a market and charge the maximum it can. This also give these products the prestige appeal, just like in the cosmetic industry.
    Just wait for the competition to kick in, and we will see a major price drop in these products.
    You can see this if you pair them with Olympus products:
    P25 550$ > O45 400$
    P45 Macro 750$ > O60 Macro 500$
    P14-45 270$ > O14-42 170$ and P14-42 130$

The 12-35 and 35-100 have no competition Panasonic have a monopoly in this range and quality and can charge what ever the marketing departement decides. (Monopoly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And this is not Panasonic's fault.

Plenty of lens manufacturers outside of Olympus have signed on to Micro Four Thirds.

Like I said in another thread, they lenses just have to be made. :smile:

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    In other words, at best you're guessing. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1