1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why we need to print our photos

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wasabi Bob, May 21, 2014.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Came across an interesting article on why we need to print our photos.

An incredible story of how Barney Britton found 75 year old color photos of his grand parents honeymoon in the attic. These moments in time are still viewable for all to enjoy. If someone found your SD card, a CD, or even your hard drive in 75 years do you think they will be able to extract the photos?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-road-trip-picture-Britain-outbreak-WWII.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    embarassed to say... i just printed for the first time!! (outside of occasional 4x6)...

used the flickr book sale to make a 60 (?) image hardcover book at 8.5x11. all those worries about sharpening correctly for physical media, noise, color matching, etc.... nope. even with heavily cropped photos, they all came out wonderfully.

even did some dot-peeping and things were great :D

3. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    While I get your point, once cloud storage (Dropbox et al) becomes commoditized enough we'll move all our data there and toss the CDs and hard drives. And then, yes, your great grandkids will be able to read the files. I'd be more concerned about keeping JPGs alongside the proprietary RAW files.

4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    You're assuming the jpg format will be accessible in 75 years. Maybe it will be... but that's a big assumption.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Ummm, and what happens when the cloud storage company goes out of business?
    Long term data backup seems to be a a never ending issue. At very least, every few years you need to keep updating the storage medium. I have some CD's that I created 15 years ago. They are no longer readable, and they been stored in cases on my book shelf.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I dunno 'bout ya'll, but I gotta print. There's no option, there's no 'delete print' button, there's no alternative.

See, when I bought my camera gear I explained to The Princess of The Exchequer that she would have lots of printed photos of the grandkids on the fridge, on the walls, in her purse...so now, having spent the money, there is no 'clear path back' :biggrin:.

(I just last week took delivery of a Canon Pro-100 and have been working on some 13x19 inch prints. Even the Princess acknowledges that they ain't half bad :thumbup:).

The prints, on archival paper, are "estimated" to last +/- 100 years. If they don't I'm going to ask Canon for my money back.

For storage I have nothing on the cloud as far as photo files go; backups are stored on external hard drives and CD/DVD's and my laptop and desktop computer are synched so that if one crashes I still have the data on the other.

I have 35mm negatives and transparencies from 1969 to 2006 when I made the switch from film to digital and never have been asked by the kids or grandkids for a print or a rainy afternoon traipse through the albums full of prints.

That being the case the great-grandchildren will be on their own :biggrin:. If they want to see photos from the old days they can blame their parents for not saving my fabulous (?) files. I would expect that, unless the data had become farkled on the card, that cards will still be able to be accessed in 75 years. If one goes to The Henry Ford Village and Museum one can listen to Thomas Edison's wax cylinders being played. Some geek somewhere, 3 generations from now, will figure out how to access the ancient devices. I can safely claim that because by the time it's proven to be a false assumption I won't be available for comments or criticisms :biggrin:.

The Princess enjoys the prints of the grandkids and (sometimes) friends and family request a print from a get together or some such - but mostly I print for me. I enjoy a physical print much more than I do a photo being displayed on a screen. Probably a generational thing...although I hear those 8 track tape players are really starting to catch on...

Regards,

Jim

EDIT: Bob, those are some wonderful photographs - thanks for the link. 1939 was a bit before my time - but not much.

• Like Like x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Assuming:

1. you're still alive and remember the login/password, or you left it in your will, etc.

2. cloud co is still in business (as mentioned above)

Barry

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Or whether your kids/grandkids even know you have/where you have something stored in the cloud/antique computer.

9. WRay

WRay Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Riverside, California
    Ray
    Yes, printing is best. I just went through a box of old photos with my daughter. The tactile act of holding a print seems much more satisfying than viewing an image on a screen!

10. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    With computing power, coverage, storage changing at lightning speed, I think this is unavoidable: there is/will be an extraordinary level of transparency into our lives - today - viewed 20 years from now.

Everything is archived. Everything is indexed and siftable.

With aggregation of existing media (social, mobile, broadcast) thanks to digitization people will know everything about us on a minute by minute basis. Certainly thousands more than we know about our parental generations.

That's a guarantee

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Actually, I believe that the because of computers, digital cameras, mobile phones etc, every nook and cranny will be saturated with photos, such that electronic media will become lost, forgotten or overwritten over time. I know many young people who store their entire photo records on their mobile phones, none of them are interested in 'the cloud' etc. The file name that the camera gives the photo is the photos identification and if anything is saved to a computer, it's in their default pictures folder.

I honestly think that the number of people that are that fastidious about storage, recording etc of their electronic files are few and far between.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Please. It's obvious computers aren't going to survive the next War and Second Coming. Only prints and sinners will remain in the end!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    O.K., I don't know about ya'll, but I'm covered :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

14. lightmonkey

Dec 22, 2013
    with these files there is already multiple levels of redundancy - android and ios , google+, etc, these apps and OS/platforms have default automatic cloud backup. even if sent point-to-point theres probably an image on an intermediate server somewhere, or captured by gov agencies [dont discount this one].

i mean, i have trouble cleaning up pictures on my phone because theyre automatically linked to a now-defunct google buzz post, but still maintained in the main google account, which somehow got rolled into a google+ identity, etc etc.

theres exif and metadata and other "fingerprint" to cross-link media content. i have a few photos on flickr, smugmug, dropbox, posted on forums [like this one]... it takes a 15 year old a few hours to see one and somehow trace it to my work place and mailing address. this kind of forensics will just be so much easier in the future.

compared that to past physical media: each note, paper, photo, tape recording has a unique signature. once its gone - burnt, lost, faded, destroyed - its gone forever.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have CD's just about 11 years now. Working just fine; Delkin Archival gold. I have switch over to DVD archival gold but only recently. I also have prints from a cheap inkjet photo printer of about similar age that were subjected to fluorescent lighting at work. Those have faded pretty badly. I also have slightly more recent prints from an Epson 2200 using archival quality materials... looks fine.

The quality of the media does count.

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    And many get very upset if their phones are stolen or die on them because often times that is the only place they have their images. Synching is really not that hard, but few seem to do it.

--Ken

17. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Ask many a young parent today to show you a photo of their child, and out comes an iPhone. I cannot remember the last time somebody pulled out a snapshot to show me their precious little one. The times they are a changin'.

--Ken

18. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Ken, I'm old enough to know better than to ask to see photos of somebody's kid. You end up with their life story of colds and school plays and eventually you have to buy a half dozen boxes of cookies to extract yourself from the encounter :biggrin:.

But you're right - my kids keep the photos of the grandkids on iPhones (one has a decent Nikon DSLR with a couple of good lenses...but rarely has the camera with him so we get iPhone snaps :rolleyes:). There's not a decent photo printer between the three boys - everything is .jpg and on the web :frown:.

Eventually I suppose I'll be doomed to getting smartphones for the Princess of the Exchequer and myself - the choices of flip phones gets slimmer every year - but I won't be using it as a camera, I'm far to snobbish for that :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

19. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Jim,

When you eventually open up your SmugMug or Zenfolio account, can I get referral credit on my accounts? :biggrin:

--Ken

20. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Absotively - but it may be a bit of a wait.

I did have a FlickR account for awhile (mainly to post test shots from new gear) but I deleted it awhile back. :biggrin: It was so bad I was boring myself with it.

The only 'smug mug' I have right now is a coffee cup that has a traffic cone and the words "Go Around Me, I'm Retired!" painted on both sides (a retirement gift from a co-worker).

Yep, snobbish and smug, that's me all over :2thumbs:.

Regards,

Jim