1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why we carry gear: A real world comparison smartphone - µ43 and FullFormat

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JoFT, Jan 6, 2016.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I get asked from many sides: which camera to buy. Everybody who gets asked this questions knows about the mine field you are entering.

In the SLR times it was much easier: today there are so many different formats on the market that makes the decision even trickier...

Typically I answer: it depends. And interestingly in many cases I recommend the iPhone (or smartphone) Since the 4s the iPhone became a serious camera, killing the point and shoot market.

p1867062074-4.

To make things easier I did some real world shots that everybody who comes in this question is able to compare the 3 formats and gets a feeling what he can achieve with it...

Why to carry gear: Real world comparison between smartphone; µ43 and FullFormat

I am very interested in a constructive discussion!

• Like Like x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Sehr informativ, Johannes! Thank you for this comparison. After seeing this, I will recommend a phone camera if you only or mostly do outdoor shots, and are not too interested in more advanced stuff, but only want "good pictures".

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Interesting read. Your conclusions don't surprise me really. Shooting in good light and producing images for the web shouldn't be a challenge even for the iPhone. Try the same thing at high ISOs or in scenes with large DR and the bigger sensor cameras will pull ahead. Then of course there's always the fact that enthusiasts want interchangeable lenses, raw files, good handling, fancy features, EVFs etc etc. I guess there's room for a wide range of gear and I agree that the iPhone, and many other smartphones, can (and do) replace P&S cameras.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Some years ago I compared my Nokia to a compact. My observations were that the Nokia gave better images than the compact (lower end Panasonic) but but only wide, not telephoto.

I expect its still the same and no phone will beat even a humble G1 with a need for even 100mm lens.

My E-72 is still my "best camera" as its always with me :)
    storm-coming.

Thanks for posting your work :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    DO you think I should add some low light samples like those ones...

p949655736-5.

shot with Full Format

p910203126-5.

Shot with iPhone, same time....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I do, that would be a great idea and is the very thing that finally lead me to m43 after my iPhone rekindled my interest in photography.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    IMG_20150323_074318_1-01. IMG_20150405_143813_2. IMG_20150405_145626_1. Before buying the OMD em10 I was very much into mobile photography . Imho today's mobile phones do get you nice images here are some which I clicked from my humble vivo xshot phone with 13mp camera .

• Like Like x 6
  8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

How much better do you think the iPhone shots would have been if raw was an option, like it is on the Nexus devices, and flagship devices from Samsung and LG?

9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I don't have a 6 but the 5 is good as long as light is good and don't try to enlarge. I have some really bad Iphone shots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    I clicked on your link, but those image examples are too small for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The 6 is a major upgrade over the 5. I have a 5 myself, and it's nothing to write home about. The 6 however has a really good camera in it. The 6S seemed to take a step backwards, but I'm hoping the 7 is a major step up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Good question.... The jpg-processing of Apple is amazing. There is only little left for improvements... RAW on these devices does not make too much sense. RAW would need too much space...

13. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    For me the 6s main topics in the camera is not the image quality. It is the resolution given 50% more pixel as well as 4K support and the Live Photos . For me in terms of overall image quality it is a step side wards. For my taste I got my 6s a bit too late to make a review in comparison to the 6 having both...

14. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Meanwhile I added the topic of the limitations as well - and added some remarks on shooting experience between the systems as well...

15. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    I guess there is no camera where you cannot get bad shots ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    Interesting.... Working in a camera store, I have everything about everything. My favorite is how terrible cell phones are. With all things, used within the limitation that exist, they are truly impressive. I use my cell phone for playing around but I have gotten some very good shots out of it. When you understand the and apply the basics, you can get a great picture out of just about anything

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think more could be achieved with a phone that does RAW, or at least offers decent JPEG conversion settings. The main thing I dislike about no RAW for phone cameras is the oversaturated colours, aggressive NR baked in, and poor control over WB...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Taurahe

Taurahe Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2015
    Brandon
    I couldn't agree more. But even with those limitations, I can do more with my phone than others an do with a real camera lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Also her I made a little update:

p901393133-5.

Left: iPhone
    Middle: GX80 with PL 15mm f1.7
    Right: Canon EOS 5D-MkIII with EF 35mm f2.0 IS USM

Iphone´s cannot make stars....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    Now thats all fine with the quality a smartphone delivers.
    But there is one thing that bothers me, they dont feel right compared to a real camera.

• Agree Agree x 3