1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why use tracking ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Nov 30, 2013.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm new to MFT and new to this forum
    I purchased an OM-D E-M1 recently and so far just LOVE it - I'm seriously considering selling my D800 and lenses

I was wondering how useful C-AF + TR is.

I haven't used the same function on my Nikon. I shoot at kids high school sports events (Haven't tried the E-M1 there yet)
    with C-AF - I generally can point the camera at the subject, and let the camera focus. the subjects are moving/running.

why would I want to let the camera try to track a subject instead of centering the camera on the subject and let C-AF do it's thing ?

are there situations like birding or something where this is critical ?

2. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Composition has been my main motivator for using tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Kids at high school events often have rather predictable trajectories. Try a toddler indoors. Spray and pray with tracking is about as good as it gets.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    C-AF+TR is like AFC Continuous Servo on the D800. If you have not used AFC on the D800 then S-AF should be the equivalent of what you used on the D800.

C-AF + TR would best be used for composition changes as lombardispot pointed out, or if you are shooting a subject that moves unpredictably. The most common useage I can think of would be birds in flight.

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I've only had the EM1 for a few days, but I find standard CAF with the center AF point to be more reliable, and faster to lock than CAF+TR, which seems to take a while to get the initial lock, and then jump around randomly and focus on something else.

Though I need to test it more in better light.