Why use tracking ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Nov 30, 2013.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm new to MFT and new to this forum
    I purchased an OM-D E-M1 recently and so far just LOVE it - I'm seriously considering selling my D800 and lenses

I was wondering how useful C-AF + TR is.

I haven't used the same function on my Nikon. I shoot at kids high school sports events (Haven't tried the E-M1 there yet)
    with C-AF - I generally can point the camera at the subject, and let the camera focus. the subjects are moving/running.

why would I want to let the camera try to track a subject instead of centering the camera on the subject and let C-AF do it's thing ?

are there situations like birding or something where this is critical ?

2. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    Composition has been my main motivator for using tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Kids at high school events often have rather predictable trajectories. Try a toddler indoors. Spray and pray with tracking is about as good as it gets.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    C-AF+TR is like AFC Continuous Servo on the D800. If you have not used AFC on the D800 then S-AF should be the equivalent of what you used on the D800.

C-AF + TR would best be used for composition changes as lombardispot pointed out, or if you are shooting a subject that moves unpredictably. The most common useage I can think of would be birds in flight.

5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I've only had the EM1 for a few days, but I find standard CAF with the center AF point to be more reliable, and faster to lock than CAF+TR, which seems to take a while to get the initial lock, and then jump around randomly and focus on something else.

Though I need to test it more in better light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.