Why these pros are sticking with Olympus

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm. No one asked me! I guess the invitation went to my spam filter.

Thanks for sharing.

I really don't understand all of this whining.
Or are the people whining still wearing Toughskin jeans and other products that haven't been made for decades?

Every product has a life cycle. Get used to it.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I guess I do not understand rude comments on other people's posts just for the sake of being rude. I have noticed a pattern of rudeness on a few posters and pretty much can tell when there will be no content.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
The number of ILC buyers is shrinking therefore the manufacturers have to extract more dollars from the customers they already have. At the moment, that means convincing people that the gear that they bought last year is now rubbish and that there will be a vast improvement in their currently inferior images if they buy something newer.

If anyone's going to see through this, it will be pro photographers. A camera is a means to an end for a pro. If it enables them to work for hours on end without being crippled, then job done.

Let's say the big manufacturers stay solvent for long enough to persuade everyone to buy a 42 MP FF body. Then what are they going to do? I think the really interesting stuff is a few years away yet.

Last edited:
The number of ILC buyers is shrinking therefore the manufacturers have to extract more dollars from the customers they already have. At the moment, that means convincing people that the gear that they bought last year is now is rubbish and that there will be a vast improvement in their currently inferior images if they buy something newer.

If anyone's going to see through this, it will be pro photographers. A camera is a means to an end for a pro. If it enables them to work for hours on end without being crippled, then job done.

Let's say the big manufacturers stay solvent for long enough to persuade everyone to buy a 42 MP FF body. Then what are they going to do? I think the really interesting stuff is a few years away yet.
The mirrorless transition and rise of video and hybrid pro work is a blessing for the manufacturers. Sure, a "pro" can stick with their known quantity, dialed-in DSLR and glass, but those FF MILCs are certainly the future and perhaps in some situation a competitive advantage. That's spurring sales.

In a few years? Networking. OS integration. More AI. Optical. They will find a reason. As of yet, there is no substitute in tech for dedicated optics in either cinematography or photography.

I am still baffled that each manufacturer doesn't have a swift, dedicated app for mobileOSs as *the* networking and image editing interface. They still expect a darkroom/PC endgame for the image before consumption. It's a frustratingly parochial business.

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
I guess I do not understand rude comments on other people's posts just for the sake of being rude. I have noticed a pattern of rudeness on a few posters and pretty much can tell when there will be no content.
If you want to see rude take a look at some of the replies on most any thread over at DPReview - Drove me out
of there and I was a long time fan - This site is very civil and pleasant -

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
If you put someone on your "Ignore user" list, does that mean that you don't even see what they post? If so, that would probably explain why I never get likes or replies to anything I post. I need to be clear on how this works... ;)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
If you put someone on your "Ignore user" list, does that mean that you don't even see what they post? If so, that would probably explain why I never get likes or replies to anything I post. I need to be clear on how this works... ;)
You don't get notifications that they have replied to a thread. If you scroll down a thread and they have posted, there is an acknowledgement that they have made another valuable contribution, but you have to click a link to see the latest nugget.

I've only used it once. Fortunately, while not everyone agrees with each other all of the time, this website is largely populated by people of reasonable intelligence and sensitivity.

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
The number of ILC buyers is shrinking therefore the manufacturers have to extract more dollars from the customers they already have. At the moment, that means convincing people that the gear that they bought last year is now rubbish and that there will be a vast improvement in their currently inferior images if they buy something newer.

I'm waiting for the 108MP FF Pentax body!

If all phones have this many pixels, everything less must be close to worthless.

And all phones are full frame too! Just look at their screens. How much more full frame can you get?

Interchangeable lenses? Meh. I've seen commercials for a Samsung that can zoom in to the moon from a hot air balloon in total darkness while diving into a swimming pool!

Wait! Did I hear someone say "Hot air"?

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Hmm. No one asked me! I guess the invitation went to my spam filter.

Thanks for sharing.

I really don't understand all of this whining.
Or are the people whining still wearing Toughskin jeans and other products that haven't been made for decades?

Every product has a life cycle. Get used to it.
My Toughskins are all but worn out.
You don't happen to know where I can buy me another pair?

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Equipment is only obsolete when you have no use for it or parts become unavailable.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom