Why the shutter is so 'loud' on the G1/GH1?

slau

Mu-43 Regular
Do you think it is possible to reduce the shutter noise of the M43 cameras so that they can be easily used in a 'quiet environment' like a classical concert?

I hate to use one of those 'sound blocking' devices on a small camera like a G1, and it defeats the whole purpose of carrying a small body.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
On the Pen 1, I usually wrap my hand around the front of the body...that muffles the sound very well.....
If that don't work, just sneeze or cough at every exposure....

Nah, just kidding but that might work...
shooter

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
See if you can find a 2nd hand Sony R1?

I've got one (completely silent)... and I'm not selling! :biggrin:

Either that, or setup right at the back with a long prime lens... I'd love a ZD 150mm f2, that would be a sweet lens for a concert shoot.

Cheers

Brian

slau

Mu-43 Regular
If you don't mind carrying a woman's purse, you can actually use one of your wife's/girlfriend's old purse. Cut a hole to fit the lens and use a shutter release. Yes, It is a PITA :). It would be nice to have shutter noise as low as from a Leica M camera.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Slau,
We have lots of men'z down here in Philly carrying purses.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

It's the dresses that bother me....:flypig:

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter

I don't blame you, it was a great camera but Sony decided they didn't want to know about it and consequently it was never a top seller. You could buy a dSLR for the same sort of money. I wouldn't think second hand copies would come up often.

I thought about the R1 as an upgrade to my Sony DSC-V3 many years ago, but while I could get the V3 into a jacket pocket, needed a wheel barrow for the R1. While the shutter may be quiet, physically the R1 could hardly be considered discrete.

I do wish the E-P1 was quieter.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend

I read a post here recently from someone who was surprised that Brian has non Olympus cameras. Those of us who follow Brian know that he has a lot of non-Olympus cameras. Just off the top of my head - correct me if I'm wrong Brian - I seem to recall an LX1, G1, DP1, R1, and that's just the ones that end in "1" :biggrin:.

rst

Mu-43 Regular
... While the shutter may be quiet, physically the R1 could hardly be considered discrete.

I do wish the E-P1 was quieter.
I remember the R1 being a camera with an EVF. Lets come back to the 'shooting in a classical concert' in the opening of this thread. Here in Germany, during a classical concert there is only lights on the stage and the auditorium is pretty dark. In my opinion, if someone uses a quiet but big camera to take photographs, that is not as distractive as using a camera where you have to use the LCD to compose the image - no matter how small it is. So in such a situation, when used with the back LCD on, I think the MFT cameras could hardly be considered discrete too.

I was also surprised how loud the shutter of the G1 is. But it is pretty quiet compared to a DSLR shutter noise. I realized that during a concert where a friend took some images with his Nikon D300. The band asked him to photograph so that they will have some images. He walked around and took photographs - a lot of photographs. I could hear the shutter very well even if he was 15m away from me. And I could see how distractive that was for the people in front of him.

Cheers
rst

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Thanks Amin, there are a few more in my collection... I also have the Panasonic FZ7 - I can see this format making a comeback with the right small sensor technology, and still have my first digital cameras - the Olympus C800L, C1400L and C2000 Zoom.

Wish I hadn't sold my Panasonic FX01 - it was a delightful little camera.

Cheers

Brian

slau

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks Amin, there are a few more in my collection... I also have the Panasonic FZ7 - I can see this format making a comeback with the right small sensor technology, and still have my first digital cameras - the Olympus C800L, C1400L and C2000 Zoom.

Wish I hadn't sold my Panasonic FX01 - it was a delightful little camera.

Cheers

Brian

I still have my first digital camera too: Olympus 2500L. It still works but I am keeping it for just sentimental value :smile:. That is the one I can turn off the 'shutter' sound completely. The so called 'shutter sound' is just a sound effect so that the photographer can feel like he is using a SLR. What an irony it is !!

Latest threads

Top Bottom