1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why the reluctance to ship to Canada?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by walter_j, Mar 27, 2016.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I've tried to buy a number of items from US members here and ebay, but there's many that refuse to ship to Canada. Why is that?

2. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    Customs charges?

I've had that be an issue before .. friend got an extra charge I traded headsets for a controller, , I did alright .. when he went to pick up he had to pay additional

Also once I ordered veneers, received , no issues , 1 month later ups says I have a customs charge due

So maybe that ?

3. joma416

joma416 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2014
    Toronto, ON Canada
    John
    I would agree with Ranter, it probably is the customs charge. I live in Canada and have a number of nasty surprises with customs. I fully expect to pay and I am not complaining about that. If the seller ships USPS which then hands off to Canada Post, I pay a reasonable fee. If my memory serves me correctly, it is the HST amount. If the seller ships UPS or via some other courier, that company also charges some sort of brokerage fee. The last time this happened to me, it was roughly an extra $50 on top of the tax/customs fee. This made the purchase a really bad deal. There may be cases where the buyer gets this nasty surprise then refuses the package. It would then get returned to the seller and they would likely have to pay.

In short, I run the other way when I see UPS as the service on anything that crosses the border.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I've had that experience with Fedex too - but never a problem when they ship usps. Sometimes I have to pay customs - sometimes not. no problem there. I won't bid or buy anything that ships by ups or any other courier

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If I'm selling a big priced item, I have no problem shipping to Canada. For smaller priced items, shipping to the Con US is less time consuming.

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I would say it's mostly unfamiliarity with procedures plus extra hassle. When I ship US domestic I can do it online/from my home office desk and the mailman will pick up the package from my house. For international there is a customs declaration form (3 part carbon IIRC) that must be included with the shipment and the procedures are a little different. I do so little of it that I don't feel confident about getting it right at home, so to ship international involves a special trip to the post office, then standing in line to get my package checked and blessed. I usually offer my stuff for international shipment at actual cost plus a $10 shipping cost adder for the hassle factor.

Shipping USPS I have never run into any kind of customs or broker fee as the shipper. Customs duty is a possibility when I receive something from outside the US. Years ago I used to import and sell race car parts and IIRC a shipment above a certain value must be handled through a broker and fees must be paid. But none of that is a consideration for me in deciding whether to be an "exporter."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    We have the same problem in New Zealand - often sellers do not ship to our country. Also often price difference makes it very worthwile (at one stage SSD were almost half the price in the US from what it was in New Zealand). The solution is to use a freight forwarder: ship it to the freight forwarder and have them ship it to you. We have the New Zealand Post forwarding it from the US, UK or China to New Zealand. You can use Shipito.com who will ship it to almost anywhere - my son used it to ship to Australia.

8. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I understand that shipping to Canada is a hassle for Americans, and often the cost is quite high, which is a turnoff for Canadians. As others have noted, USPS is the preferred method, and UPS is to be avoided at all costs.

If you live close to the border, an option is to get a mailbox in the U.S. I have one in Blaine WA, where it costs me $2.50 per parcel for them to receive shipments. I buy gas while I'm there, and the savings on gas is more than enough to pay for the cost of picking up the parcel plus the gas used to drive there.

9. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    Shipito is my agent too and with that system I can get deals only the US and A seems to be sometimes privileged to.
    No import duty to Australia and I save a lot on shipping (if I had the vendor to ship directly to OZ).
    I do the customs declaration and the description on the parcel of the item arriving to my address, all Shipito does is turns around the parcel and ships it for peanuts (Economy Air is just as fast as Express... o_O)

10. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Lot of bogus info about shipping to Canada from the US. Trouble is for most Americans think Canada is a foreign country on some other planet. They don't realize
    its connected to the US from coast to coast. Only the border states consider Canada as a neighbor next door.
    Shipping to Canada is really not much different than sending parcels within the US.
    For the most part you just take the parcel to the US Post Office a few questions are asked about contents, value and if its a gift or not. That's it.
    First Class International is the cheapest way to ship, only problem no insurance. Then use Priority International, fully insured. Shipping can be from $10-20 more on average to ship to Canada.
    No big deal for Canadians, business as usual. The shipper pays no Customs fees etc. just the postage. If any Customs fees, sales taxes are levied, the person who receives the parcel in Canada
    has to pay them on delivery. You can track a parcel shipped from the US to Canada on the USPS website or get even more detailed tracking from Canada Post website.
    You can make a Paypal shipping label on line to ship anywhere around the world, takes about 30 seconds longer than making a US label. So really that should be a no brainer.
    Leave the Harmonize Code, for business shippers.

Word of caution, all parcels should be shipped via USPS. Those shipped by individuals generally sail thru Customs with out any fees if value is marked less than $100.
    If shipped by DHL, FEDex, UPS, Purolator expect to pay Customs fees, sales taxes, processing fees, average $28-$39.

Ebay Global Shipping is a scam, US shippers that use it don't realize the items they sell Customs fees etc. are not applied to the merchandise, when used, sold shipped by an individual.
    Ebay, Pitney Bowes collects the so called fees anyways, does not remit to Canada on items not required. They line their pockets with this free cash.
    Google Ebay Global Shipping Scam. All this program does is reship the parcel to Canada once it receives it from the seller. Shipping is higher as well then if shipped straight thru Paypal.
    Seller who use Global Shipping cheat themselves out of higher bids from those who are willing to pay a lot more for an item, like Canadians, if they were not using Global.

Shipping to Canada or overseas is not a scary complicated thing to process. 99.9% of parcels shipped arrive within 7-15 days.
    I have shipped over 20,000 parcels worldwide selling on ebay since 2001. Some of my best customers are those from outside the US, who will pay much more.
    Since moving to Canada, I buy a lot from the US, have to, too expensive here or you just can't find the items your looking for. And yes its hard to find shippers who will ship outside the US.
    Once they find how easy it is after its explained to them, to make the sale, they will be open to shipping, you have to ask. Big problem is, those that indicate no shipping outside the US, ebay blocks any
    communication with the seller from those outside the US. You can sometimes get around that by a Canadian ebayer logging into their account thru ebay.com(US) and not ebay.ca (Canada).
    If that doesn't work you will need a US ebay account with a US mailing address and a Canadian shipping address. Makes life easier.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    Just add a shipping address to your normal eBay account and then you can get around having another account.

What is annoying is that some listings will only show up on eBay.com (US), eBay.co.uk (UK), eBay.de (Germany), eBay.ca (Canada) or eBay com.au (Australia) and not on any of the others. When I am hunting for something specific I might have to log on to the each of them.

When finding something on Amazon you might find that Amazon will not ship it to your country yet the same seller is present on eBay and will ship worldwide.... (and sometimes price is a lot lower and you might even find free shipping).

• Like Like x 1
  12. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Canada
    Yeah they also have what is called selective viewing, you may not see another part of the countries listings when doing a search.......
    something about being a power seller, paying for an ebay store gets you the larger viewer search audience and to increase sales.
    I do the same when looking for items outside the US and Canada, I search on the other ebay country sites. You can even log into your account at those sites
    and get down to action buy or sell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I didn't know that. I'll try that next time. Although getting ignored when I ask to buy something also saves me money

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The unfortunate truth is that U.S. sellers generally don't have to sell internationally because there are a lot of buyers within the country. It's not a massive hassle to ship to Canada, but for U.S. buyers I can just quickly print my postage at a kiosk/home and drop it in a collection bin outside of regular hours. No extra forms. No wondering about customs delays, etc. No lying about value so the seller can save on fees. None of that extra minor annoyance.

I would say it's not that we are afraid to ship to Canada, it is just that there's not much in it for most of us. If I had difficultly selling an item, I would take a Canadian offer, but I haven't been at that point in 15 years of selling online. I have bought from Canadians a few times with no trouble.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    One reason companies are hesitant to ship to Canada is the rate of theft (Canada post is horrible).

I can think of two rental houses which closed or stopped providing service to Canada because of it...