Why the OMD is important to me, even though I don't have one

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, May 19, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I've had m43 since June 2009. In the early days, I bought and sold an EP1 three times, as I was frustrated with performance, but loved the camera size, looks and concept.

Since then, I've tried other m43 bodies and lenses, but each time I was hesitant to let too much cash sit in m43. I also kept buying/selling other systems, both mirrorless and DSLRs. With the NEX showing up, the rumors of Fuji, the pining for FF mirrorless and other things, I kept my investment relatively low. It's one reason I sold my EP3 after having it only a month, and went to a mini -- less money in the system, less risk if the system didn't make it.

Since the OMD was released, though, it struck me that m43 is going to succeed after all. I feel much more comfortable contemplating two m43 bodies, and putting more money in lenses.

I don't know if I'll end up with an OMD/EM5, but one thing is for sure to me -- it's the final proof that this system not only will work, but work spectacularly. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not really sure what another mirrorless system would offer me (YMMV), that would better fit my needs in a camera system.

Thanks OMD!
    • Like Like x 9
  2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It will be very interesting to see what Panasonic's next moves are. If they up the ante, then we'll have the competitive aspect within m43 to keep fueling the fire. Go Panny!
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Even if Panasonic doesn't significantly up the ante on the immediately coming round, I'm sure they'll do so within a year. Not every update can be a huge one, but Panasonic has already shown more than once that it isn't content with sitting around. Olympus, IMO, had more to prove and came through well with the improvements in the latest two rounds of cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Frankly, Panasonic doesn't need to up the ante very much. Look how "old" the GH2 is. They made the best camera first and just recently it's finally been "equaled".

I think we're done seeing big steps up in performance from both sides. Everything will now just be refinements. The next big thing will doubtless be the global shutter.
  5. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Since I am new and trying to get ahead of the learning curve please excuse what may be dumb questions.
    It seems Olympus and Panasonic are the preferred brands right now but I see that Sony and Nikon now also have mirror less systems (can Canon be far behind).
    I just picked up a used G3 as it seems highly rated and was cheap enough to not break the checkbook. With my DSLRs I started out cheap but quickly upgraded to pro level bodies and lens. ( regretfully don't have that kind of cash these days)
    My question is do folks see OM and Panny staying in the forefront? What about pro level glass? Canon and Nikon have always been know for the quality of their glass, do folks see them taking an edge in the M43 market down the road?
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    For Nikon and Canon to be players in the mirrorless market they both need to:

a) Actually release mirrorless systems at least equivalent to the current Micro 4/3 and NEX formats

b) Be prepared to cannablise their existing investment in DSLR systems by producing equivalent lenses and bodies in mirrorless form. Damned if they do, damned if they don't...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Great post, thank you. I had my doubts about Micro 4/3 as well, but the GH2 really convinced me that the system could put up a good fight against other formats. With the arrival of the OM-D, my confidence is higher than ever.
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Just to clarify, and not to offend my Panny friends. I have high regard for the GH2, but it's not my cup of tea. Didn't mean to say the OMD was first, but for me it proved the format.

Also, Panny clearly leads ALL comers in video, especially when hacked.
  9. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I am elated w/ the excitement that the E-M5 has brought to the mu43 world. People that didn't even know there was anything other that big DSLR's are now aware of the Mirrorless world...

I have talked to several store owners when I was shopping around for my camera, and they all say they haven't seen excitement for a camera like this for a long time.

IMO, as long as we have at least 3 categories:
    1. A cheap gateway-drug body
    2. A mid-high priced body
    3. A fully functional Pro body

from both Oly & Panny... We (mu43) will be sitting pretty.

(Something like the Amazon GF3 deal today (https://www.mu-43.com/f108/gf3-14mm-314-amazon-gold-box-26352/) is the PERFECT way to get people hooked into the mu43 world....) :2thumbs:
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I agree. Last time I've seen store owners chatter this much on a camera was when the D90 came out. I think the OMD has even eclipsed the XPRO1 chatter, at least at the stores I talked to.
  11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Bill
    I fully agree with you .The arrival of OMD has consolidated the position of MFT . Now we need some fast tele primes and we are done . We will have the most portable and spectacular format . I love every MFT camera from Panny GF1 to Oly OMD .I would like to thank Olympus for such a fantastic offering inspite of so many problems at admin level .
  12. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Even If The Fatcat Oly Admins ...

blow it and sell off the camera division I think we are covered. With the success of the EM5 I think Samsung or Sony will step up and take it over in a heartbeat. The OMD line has secured Olympus' place in digital photography for a long time I believe.

I don't think Oly will ever sell the camera division however. It IS the mark. The brand.
  13. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not sure I'd want either of those two outfits messing with the Oly designs..
    • Like Like x 3
  14. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't think they would. I think they would take the whole camera division and keep it intact. Designers, engineers et al. If they were smart that is. :rolleyes:
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Mu43 feels like the only system worthy of the name, with a reasonable selection of glassware. There are some obvious gaps in the lens lineup - most notably a fast 35mm equivalent (autofocus, MF doesn't count) and fast normal and medium telephoto zooms - the latter have at least been announced, but they then have to prove themselves in terms of high quality. Much as I'm loving the E-M5, my Canon glassware is, overall, of better optical quality. It's just absurdly massively heavy and huge.
  16. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    until they can start to deliver batteries, grips and even cameras, I will have major doubts as to their level of support to be a main system
  17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    On one hand I'm glad olympus was able to come out with this camera. On the other hand I can't figure out why the sensor that is in the omd wasn't in the ep3 to begin with. My hope is that this sensor finds its way into the pens. The omd is more camera than I need. Its more than I want to pay. It gives me hope for the system though.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I don't talk to too many camera store employees/owners, and I only have four little yellow stars by my name on this forum, but what has been amazing for me to watch is how many brand new posters it seems this forum gets every day! I'll probably never buy an EM5, but I too am glad it exists!
  19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    What I find to be most interesting is that the two most successful (arguably) Micro Four Thirds cameras, the Panasonic GH2 & the Olympus OM-D EM-5 both look like miniature DSLRs.....

Personally, my favorites in the aesthetics department are the Panasonic GX1 & the Olympus E-P3...
  20. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For aesthetics - bleeding over into personal preference for gripping surface - I like the venerable Panny GF1 and the Oly E-PL2. But that's just me...