1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why the OM-D Viewfinder Blackout

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, May 16, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

When I press the shutter release of my OM-D, the viewfinder goes black momentarily. Since the OM-D is a mirrorless camera, I see no reason for the blackout. Is there a setting which would allow me to eliminate the blackout?

2. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    The mechanical shutter curtain still has to close though, even if it is a mirrorless...

3. Dave Jenkins

Okay, that's understandable. However, it does seem to me that the blackout period is quite long -- much longer than on my Canon 5D. Is there any way to shorten the blackout?

4. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Not as far as I know. I've been through just about all the settings and I haven't seen any that would lower that blackout time. But.. it never really bothered me so I haven't actively searched for it with that purpose in mind. Maybe someone else would know.

I can see how it might seem a bit long compared to a purely optical viewfinder, particularly at higher shutter speeds.

5. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I believe the blackout is a function of the image being written to the SD card. Some have reported reducing the blackout period by using a faster card (i.e. class 10, etc). I have also read that the blackout is longer in single frame mode for some reason than in sequential shooting mode. Also make sure you don't have noise reduction switched on (different than noise filter).

6. Dave Jenkins

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using a class 10 SD card, and have noise reduction switched off.

I have to say that not only does the blackout time bother me, but also the shutter lag time is a problem for me.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    "The E-M5 can start up and grab a photo in 1.5 seconds, rattles off shots at 9 frames per second, and records an extremely short 0.09 second shutter lag..."

As written by PC Magazine:

Performance and Conclusions - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Could the lag be tied into the lens(es) you're using? Is the auto-focus creating the issue?

I've not noticed anymore shutter lag than I have with my Nikon D300.

Regards,

Jim

8. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    If you turn image review off (Menu > Wrench > Rec View > Off) - blackout screen time is strongly reduced - almost unnoticeable. For reference it lasts about as long as the sound of the shutter curtain opens and closes - fractions of a second.

Obviously you no longer get to see the preview of your shot after every shutter click, but in my opinion this is a small sacrifice to make for a smoother shooting experience.