1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why the flip out screen hate?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dixeyk, Apr 16, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Okay maybe HATE is a bit strong but I have seen a number of posts with folks talking bout how they just don't like flip out LCDs but prefer the flip type on the E-PL3 and OMD. I spent some time playing with the flip up screen on the NEX 5n (nice camera BTW) and I don't get why that is necessarily better. I find the flip up screen to be more limiting than the flip out type found on the Panasonic Gh and GH series. I am able to get shots that there is no way I would even get close to getting with the a flip up screen (or using the rear LCD). Maybe its because I like odd angles and such but I find the flip out LCD to be a really flexible tool for getting interesting shots. I also think it makes it pretty easy to shoot stealthily from the hip (or with the camera in very awkward positions).

• Like Like x 1
  2. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I have used both flippy systems.
    You can compose quicker and more accurate using tilt. (nex/Oly)
    Try it fast with pany's and you get all mixed up with wonky horizons.
    Pany more flexible, Oly/nex quicker.

But they are both a lot more useful that a fixed screen. IMVHO :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The NEX, EPL3, OMD tilt screens are good for people who like to shoot from the hip, which is a lot street photographers.

Harder to shoot from the hip with the fully articulated side swivel LCD like the G1/2/3 and GH1/2.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the main complaint about the articulating screen over the flip-screen is the extra step require to bring it out. I know for myself when I've had an articulating screen I've generally always kept it in just like a non-articulating screen. So to me, the presence of the articulating function made little difference. A flip screen on the other hand, is quicker and easier to access for those who use it only occasionally.

If you're the type who doesn't mind flipping out his screen as soon as you pull it out of the bag, or use your articulating screen on a regular basis... then articulating may be the choice for you. For me, flip is a better choice.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Can't comment on that, just love the G1 and GH2 screens. Maybe the one overriding reason for me not to buy an E-M5 is the lack of such screen. However, no guarantee, I've been known to succumb after all.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I can totally understand it being a personal preference (and FWIW I think the flip screen is nice) but I guess I just trained myself to use the flippy screen because whenever I shoot without it am always wishing I had it. My favorite thing...helps on the knees when I get a low angle on something...LOVE THAT.

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I absolutely LOVE the flip screen on my GH2. It's one of the top features I like about it. Have been discouraged from buying an Oly body because of it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Like what I have on my G3.

It works really well when I shoot birds (not often) or have my camera set on a tripod. I use the touch screen function to focus and take the picture and it is spot on. It was the main reason I went for the G3. I could have purchased the EVF for the GX1, but there was no way to add the flip screen. When I shoot street, I shoot from the hip often with out looking at any screen. Then, it works really well, when I am sitting on a bench and shooting at a 90 degree angle.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

9. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I've had the G3 and a Canon SX10 power zoom camera with the articulating screen and the NEX-7 with the flip out screen. I do prefer the flip screen of the NEX than the articulating one. Articulating screens might be more flexible to use but I don't like having the screen to the side of the camera. Kind of makes it feel more clumsy. I usually just leave it open in the normal position. However, with articulating screens, I do like being able to fully flip and close the screen protecting it from scratches and stuff.

10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Really? When the E-PL3 came out all I heard/read were people complaining that it wasn't a fully articulated GH2-style screen. Same with the E-M5.

11. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Flip out screen allows me to get some photos from crazy positions, like once when I made a photo of an statue headed to the edge of a hill. I was beside it and twist the screen so it was in 90 degree with the lens. One more step and I would fall down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One place where the fully articulated screens shine over the tilt-only ones is for video. If you have your camera mounted on sticks you can flip the screen to the left and operate the focus.
    I have never used the flip-only Oly screen but it does look very nice and for just photography I think it would be fine. As soon as I have the extra money in hand I will get an E-M5.

13. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I love the flip out. To me, it's invaluable. I use it for the camera held up, down, angled, or on a tripod. It's one of the main reasons I bought a G2.

14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It sure seems like it. I seem to recall a fair number of folks having a decided preference for flip up vs flip out. I understand that flip up is the preferred arrangement for street shoots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    In fact, I was just loving the GH2 screen yesterday ... I was taking a video of myself. Had the camera on a tripod with the screen facing me in front of the camera ... was able to check my position and focus, etc. Invaluable.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Here is a shot that I could not have gotten without getting run over.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7066219113/" title="Fae by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7066219113_bdb278d116_b.jpg "684" height="1024" alt="Fae"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  17. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    It seems like alot of people complain about the added size of tilt/swivel screens - I don't think it's big enough to complain about. I really like the tilt screen on the E-PL3, and the swivel on the G3 even more. I find myself wanting to take pictures on the ground or above crowds, and it's hard without a articulating screen. I'll just have to get better at using my TVF (telepathic view finder) :smile:

18. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    And a fantastic one BTW. :thumbup:

19. While the flip-up style screen would be great within it's own narrower window of application, for me it is a way of providing 100% of the complication of a hinged screen with less than 50% of the function. The only two possible issues I find with the fully articulated screen is that when flipped out it increases the footprint of the camera, and that it does require greater spacial awareness to operate because your brain needs to reconcile shooting forwards whilst your head is angled to the side. If you can manage that I think that the flip-out screen is better for chest or waist level shooting with the added flexibility it offers.

For me the two standout m4/3 bodies for non-viewfinder shooting are the GH1 and the G1 because they allow you to shoot away from the body in any orientation with your thumb operating the shutter and your forefinger operating the control dial. I found that moving that dial to the rear in the later bodies was a big disappointment and made them more viewfinder friendly at the expense of making the best use of a flip-out, live-view screen.

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Less about speed that HOW you use it...

I don't think one is better than the other - but I KNOW that one is better for ME... If you shoot video, shoot around corners, shoot in portrait mode a lot, shoot on a tripod a lot, or need a really fancy make up mirror, you'll be happier with the fully articulating screen.

I don't do any of those things....

If you do a lot of street photography, OTOH, and like to shoot from the belly/waist/hip area, and/or have a happy history with twin lens reflex cameras and like shooting from the belly/waist/hip area, I suspect you'd prefer a plain old flip up screen like the EPL3/Nex/OMD. I shoot that way a lot and have a lot of happy memories of shooting with a twin lens reflex and GREATLY / HUGELY / ENORMOUSLY / OVERWHELMING prefer this type of screen. I've tried shooting the same way with a fully articulating screen and hated it, not because it took an extra move to open the screen, but just because to look DOWN into the screen, it can't be behind the camera - it has to be off to the side. In addition to a bit of an adjustment while framing, I just don't like the screen hanging off to the side of the camera like an appendage. Personally. Just me. Etc.

So I don't think there's a better/worse or right/wrong answer here, but I think there are totally valid individual reasons to prefer one over the other. My reasons lead me one way, yours might lead you another.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2