1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why the different colour?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DaveyA, Mar 20, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Hi
    I bought my EM5 at the weekend and I am very chuffed with it. I have been studying the user manual, which is not the best I have come across to be honest. I have not been out with the camera yet but have been experimenting at home for now. I took these three but I am puzzled as to why the colour of Mickey's face has become much pinker in one of the shots and my black glasses case seems to have a purplish tinge to it. The photos were taken at the same settings and in the same light through my window. The picture of my glasses case came out quite well I thought. But I would be grateful if anyone could suggest a reason for the difference in the colour.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Many thanks.

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm guessing you have auto-white-balance set on the camera, but the EXIF is stripped from the JPEGs so I can't be sure. That would explain it if it is the case.

3. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Yes, auto. So if I have metered from slightly different parts of the scene for each shot, the white balance would be off?

4. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    Is this the Keep Warm Color setting being active?

5. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    No I have disabled it.

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I think AWB takes in the whole image regardless of where metering occurs. So it can be thrown off by any significant region of the image that has a bit of color to it. I'm not at all familiar with modern AWB algorithms and how clever or simple they are, but in general if you've got large patches of nearly grey, white or black in the scene that have slight hues to them you can expect AWB to try and remove their tints. Compose with differing amounts of those grey/white/black regions and AWB will shift from shot to shot. AWB also has to handle fluorescent lighting so shifts on the green/pink axis are just as likely as the blue/yellow axis.

Ken

7. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    looks like the first shot has metered WB for the highlights on the case, the second for Mickey's eyes, and the third for the desk(?) behind the case and under mickey. it looks like it's trying to deal with a combination of different kinds of light.

8. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks for that, I see what you mean. I know WB can be adjusted if shooting raw, but what is the recommended method if using jpgs? Using a grey card and storing that in camera? I seem to remember that is a feature of this camera.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, use a grey card or white card and do a Reference WB. Some cameras require grey and can't balance off white, but all the Olympus cameras I know of can use either. You can also adjust the color tone a bit if you want by using an opposing color. For instance, if you add a cool color to the card it will create a warm color balance as the camera compensates for it. A white card with a bit of cyan in it is what we call a "warm card".

10. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

In a pinch, just put something white (paper, napkin) into the scene, and follow your camera's custom WB directions. Although not exactly a white or gray card, it's better than nothing. Keep in mind, this WB is correct only for that particular lighting scenario.

I don't have an E-M5, but on my E-PL1 I changed the Movie button to Custom WB. All I need do is hold down that button, aim at a white target, and press the shutter release.

And remember to reset the camera to AWB afterwards. I didn't do that at my daughter's wedding reception, and a fair number of my images look rather "alien.":redface:

11. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks to everyone for the input. Now I know how to do this I think I will give it a try from time to time. I did actually manage to adjust the WB in LR and eventually got it looking more "real".