why some say movie quality on GX7 is superior to EM5?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by weee, Oct 3, 2013.

1. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    except that 50p@1080p, doesn't it come down to lens? also, the IBIS doesn't wok in movie mode on GX7 while it does on EM5, plus I saw lots of video shot in EM5 with a decent lens look just as good. can someone enlighten me a bit because I'm in swing between GX7 and EM5, photo/movie will be half/half.

2. billybob

billybob Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    I had OMD EM5, movie quality is okay not with a wow factor especially when it comes to post processing, but i must say that the best movie quality i have seen so far from a system camera is from SONY NEX6 on AVCHD format which also records at 60p max.. Second best panasonic GH3.. Reason is these cameras have tweaking options with selectable frame rates that gives u more space in post processing your movie - of course when paired with the right lenses..

3. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    what if I dont need 60p and post processing, doesn that mean each camera offers very little difference to another in terms of the movie quality?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Not at all. Not at ALL.

All of the different cameras have significantly different methods of downscaling the sensor image and encoding the video frames. The differences in video quality are much, much wider than the differences in still image quality. The EM5 is towards the bottom of the pack. Most Canons are actually pretty bad too, the APS-C models specifically. Panasonic is one of the best, current Nikon is really good, Canon full frame is really good. Sony's in the middle for APS-C and towards the bottom for full frame.

I do want to point out that although the Canons are pretty bad, people still do a LOT of very nice work with them. The Magic Lantern firmware hack helps, but there's also just a lot more to video than IQ. I think people generally don't view video/film work with such a critical eye, and the differences between cameras are much less on the web, and much less for lightly edited and cut footage.

In the case of the EM5 specifically, the image is not bad overall and the IBIS is phenomenal. The codec however has a tendency to suddenly disintegrate and completely ruin about a second or two of the footage. That inconsistency is very dangerous for serious work, but for casual shots it's not such a problem. I like the EM5 because the IBIS and manual lens support makes it much easier to make nice amateur video without much work or gear.

• Like Like x 1
  5. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    for some casual use liking recording movie of little children, would GX7 offer noticeable improvements over EM5 with same lens? but then again, I'm really concerned that stabilization absent in movie mode on GX7.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But do you plan to use legacy lenses with either camera? Almost all the Panasonic lenses you'd likely use for making movies of little children have very effective OIS. IBIS is not the only way to stabilize a video.

7. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    lets assume it is a 25mm/1.4, how does that perform on a GX7?

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    on Panasonic camera it will be a shaky mess in handheld, on E-M5/E-P5/E-M1 it will be smooth as silk. That why I have both lol

Recently I done video using E-M5 follow a guy running using monopod and voigtlander 25mm f0.95, the effect is similar to a GH3 on steadicam with OIS lens, but with much more bokeh.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If you're doing casual 'home movie' shooting (read: no major interest in video) then the E-M5 will likely do you just fine. The IBIS gives it a very nice smooth feel. If you want to get serious about video, Panasonic understands it better than Oly ever has.

10. billybob

billybob Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    So true !!

11. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    i still dont quite get what's so serious about GX7's video capability besides it's got better video down-scaling/rendering (or whatever its called)? isn't IBIS in EM5 doing a great favour for all video shooting hence its more serious than GX7?

12. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Because the codec used to store the data on the SD card is far better. The Olympus one doesn't handle lots of detail well evidently.

No point having a stable image if it is all mush....

13. weee

weee Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013
    anywhere to download uncompressed video footages from both cameras? I'd like to see by myself.

14. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Strictly speaking you can't get at uncompressed video - it has been compressed by the on camera processing which is not as good on the Oly :wink:

Having said that, I'm not that interested in video, but I suspect dpreview will have video samples.

15. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I'll make a still photo analogy. Compared to the Panasonics, the Oly bodies basically have the equivalent of inferior JPEG compression. On top of that, there are hacks available for many Panasonic cameras to further improve image quality and eliminate compression artifacts. So on the Photoshop 'Save As' JPEG scale, Oly video quality might be like a JPEG compression level of 4 (which can still work fine depending on subject matter and your needs), Panasonic is like a 7, and hacked Panasonic is maybe up to 9.

For casual use it may make no difference (hey I use JPEG for stills), and the advantage of IBIS may give better results for you. But there's a reason Micro 4/3 video hounds ALL use Panasonic.

Sony NEX can deliver very good consumer level video, better than Olympus- the NEX-5N and later can do 1080p 24 FPS and 60 FPS which is nice. The absolutely image quality is not as sharp as the Panasonics though, fine detail gets muddy especially with movement/panning. For your vacation videos it shouldn't matter, but if you're say shooting a commercial in a forest you want your scenery to look as sharp as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    I can't say I'm bother by encoding from Olympus...However what does really bother me and renders it pretty useless for me is the lack of international frame rates...Where are 24p, 25p and 50p recording modes? And hi bit rate would be nice too, but the frame rate settings are just woefully inadequate...

• Like Like x 1