Why so many VF-2's for sale?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by D@ne, Apr 1, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I keep an eye on the classifieds section, and one thing keeps popping up over and over..the vf-2.

I've not used it personally...what am I not reading? Why does it seem that everyone wants rid of theirs?? :confused:

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    IMO it's not as useful or essential as people who haven't owned one imagine it will be, even for manual focusing or outdoor use.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I don't know, it's like an alternative option has come out for those that have historically been wanting to use a viewfinder while using Olympus cameras! I'm not really keeping up with m4/3 product releases these days, what could it be? Maybe a visit to Olympus America's camera website could give us a clue.
    Consumer - Olympus America Inc.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Because the OMD EM-5 has an integrated EVF and the sellers have already sold their bodies...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  5. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I'll be selling mine soon. I have an EM-5 on pre-order and when I get it this will become my main body. I'm planning on getting a pancake for my EPL-2 so I can put it in my pocket, so I want it as small as possible. That's the plan anyways.

I have been very happy with the VF-2 as I much prefer looking through a viewfinder to looking at the display.

• Like Like x 1
  6. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Considering that there was almost always VF-2s for sale in the forums before the new Oly body was announced, I really don't think that's it.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This is it exactly. I find the VF2 to be VERY good for manual focus and everything else, but if its part of the OMD, then you dont need a separate one.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It is a big part of it, actually. I talked to a number of VF2 sellers, and all of them for the same reason. OMD.

9. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I won't disagree about the recent influx, but I still stand by my statement. There was unarguably a brisk market for used VF-2s before the announcement OMD on this site and elsewhere.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The problem with detachable VFs is the bulk, and that is why they get sold. A compact system adding bulk. That doesn't make them not useful, though. They are very useful.

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Also influenced by the increase in native lenses, which make the vf-2 less of a need for some. As native glass increases, people are selling off their legacy glass to make way for native, and if budget is an issue, the vf-2 gets sold in order to pay for the new native lens they want.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I disagree. I bought the E-P3. After a while, I bought the VF-2 and thought it was much better for taking photos outside.

I've now sold my E-P3 in prevision of the OM-D. The guy didn`t want the VF-2. So I am one of those who have a VF-2 to sell. I personally strongly recommend it for outdoor shooting.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Another very valid point.

14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I agree, although I haven't sold my E-P2 or VF-2, and do not intend to. For me the VF-2 was essential -- for stability; for seeing well enough to focus manual, legacy lenses with some degree of ease; for viewing those lower places without having to get down myself. An invaluable tool for many reasons, and much better than Panasonic's original offering. I gave away my E-PM1, but as long as I have a Pen without built-in EVF, I'll keep the accessory.

15. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    So if the em-5 is the obvious answer....why so many viewfinders without the attached cameras bodies?

Also, why so few vf-3's for sale...did everyone get their vf-2 before this one was released?

16. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, as mentioned above, it could be that the buyer just wants the camera (perhaps it is an E-P1, E-PL1, or E-P2 user that only wants the camera body upgrade, or maybe it's someone that just wants the camera body without the VF-2, because if they want a viewfinder they'll just buy a G3 or E-M5). Or, considering that so many members here collect camera bodies like they were Pokemon cards, many are planning on using the E-M5 most of the time, but they want a smaller portable camera body, so they're keeping their E-P3 or E-PM1 around.

Even after the VF-3 was released, even though it had a locking mechanism, everyone on this forum has been recommending the VF-2, because the VF-3 has piss-poor resolution. So, since more people bought the VF-2, more people are selling the VF-2.

17. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    VF-3 is/was a real let down if price vs quality of image is a concern. Vf-3 was $30-50 less, and image quality is a bout 2/3 of vf-2. The ony thing it ad going for it was the lock button, for those who said their vf-2 was loose and fell off to easily. you couldn't pay me to give up vf-2 for vf-3, it's about as clear a view if I take my glasses off as use vf-3. Olympus fail

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Cameras are sold separately, or kept to use as backups.

Because not many VF3s were sold in the first place. Part of that was people already having the older one, but mostly they're not a good deal. You save $30 max over the VF-2 and lose a lot of resolution.

DH

19. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I just bought a used VF-2 mostly because the price was so cheap. don't know if I'll use it extensively - I like composing with the LCD on the EPL1.

20. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I don't know why. I have an E-PM1 which I bought for its compact size and low weight and yet I use the VF-2 for virtually all my photographs. It is just so much better than the LCD, for me. I still mange to get the camera with a lens and the VF-2 in my jacket or shorts pocket.