Why shouldn’t I “upgrade” from an E-M1X to a E-M1.3?

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
So after yet another relatively frustrating outing with my X and bird AF, I’ve come to the following conclusion (which I find applicable to me, not necessarily you), and that is- bird AF is just unreliable enough to make me never want to use it. So given that, why have an X? Why not “upgrade” to a mark 3 and gain starry sky AF? I seemingly loose nothing else, right?
With the price I paid for the X, and what I can get a mark 3 for, I will loose nothing on the X that I’ve owned for a year and a half, and be able to get a mark 3 and have about $500 laying around I could put towards a 7-14 or 75mm. So why wouldn’t or shouldn’t I? I ask seriously, as I want to make sure I’m not overlooking something else I’d loose by ditching the X, but by my count, I only loose one feature that doesn’t work, and gain one I’d actually like to have. Should I be patient for a fine tuned software release? I’m sure the longer I hold onto it, the less I’ll come out ahead, and I worry if the X will ever see another update.
Im not sure how I feel about the front/rear dial situation on the mark 3, but I doubt any concerns about ergonomics are warranted; I’m sure it’s great knowing Olympus. And I imagine they make a battery grip if I find myself missing that.
Thoughts?
If you are otherwise satisfied with the E-M1X, you might want to read Thomas Stirr's article at https://smallsensorphotography.com/bird-detection-ai-tips#more-27991. He seems to get remarkably good bird results with his E-M1X.

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
If you are otherwise satisfied with the E-M1X, you might want to read Thomas Stirr's article at https://smallsensorphotography.com/bird-detection-ai-tips#more-27991. He seems to get remarkably good bird results with his E-M1X.
I agree - there's plenty of proof that the E-M1X can do a fantastic job, but birds, sports, motorsports - anything long lens is going to take some education, training & practice to do well. I would love to see a comparison between the X, 1.3 and a few other cameras done by a pro to see what their relative capabilities really are. I think there are some comparisons out there...?

Real Name
Dave Cherry
What lens are you using for your bird shots? Maybe that is part of the issue?

BTW. the word is "Lose", not "Loose." Two different words.

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
Also, I’ve changed the focus points to a single one. It’s helped, but still disappointing. What’s the point of 121 AF points of only 1 of them actually works, and only some of the time?
I thought I read somewhere that AF+TR does not work with single focus spot. I can't seem too find the reference post but maybe someone here can confirm this? I did copy this from somewhere.
The best OM-D E-M1 II settings for birds in flight:

• AF Target: 5×5
  • Release Priority: Focus
  • AF Sensitivity: +2
  • AF Scanner: Mode 3
  • Drive Mode: Continuous Low with electronic shutter (18fps)

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Please remember I’m asking only to enumerate the differences between the X and the M3 in this thread.

I’ve already come to my conclusions about bird AF through due dilligence and much trial and error. I’ve watched the same videos all of you have watched. I’ve read all the same articles. I’ve tried all of those things and tested them in the field. I didn’t start this thread to ask for help about how to use bird AF or to tell me all the things I may be doing wrong. I actually specified to not do that. I certainly didn’t start the thread to have it pointed out that at some point I either spelled a word wrong, chose the wrong word, or was a victim of autocorrect; that’s super helpful.

To the few posters who replied on topic and actually reminded me or taught me something about the difference I didn’t know, thanks! I appreciate it. Now I just have to make up my mind on whether or not to make the move. As it stands now, I’ll probably keep it through the summer and continue to exhaust any and all possible setting combinations (if I want help with that, I’ll start a thread), and hopefully get a feeling as to how OM solutions will support future firmware updates for the X. Then I’ll revisit market prices this fall and go from there.

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Another thing that you would miss from X to the iii is the ability to have the joystick in the vertical position. The grip for the iii won't have it.
Good call. Hadn’t thought of that one. I don’t think that’s a deal breaker at all, but I forgot they’re essentially using the grip for the M2 which never had the joystick. Thanks!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom