Why separate door for SD card?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Steven, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't understand why it's thought of as a premium feature. These days, with large SD cards being so inexpensive, I rarely need to change them in the field. It seems to me that a separate compartment , with a separate door is just one more entry point for water/dust :confused-53:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Often a hand-grip will cover a combo battery/sd card slot - if you separate them then you won't need to unscrew a hand-grip to change an SD card.

While cards are big, shooting speed and resolution are also increasing - I have never had to swap a card in the midst of shooting (I'm more likely to run out of power) but I can imagine scenarios whereby pros would.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I totally agree with the OP. I've never run out of space, even on multi-day bushwalks. Power on the other hand...yeah. I wish batteries would be the same size as cards (with same or better capacity of course) :flypig:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    until you start using video ... ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ah, ok. Never thought of that since I don't do much video. Fair enough, I'm not going to argue against multiple card slots but I still find multiple door openings a bit superfluous. Surely you would run out of battery pretty quickly too ;)

It could be solved in a different way imo. Move the door seems like an obvious solution.

But then again, I never actually had a problem with any of my doors :rolleyes-38:

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While cards are bigger and better than they use to be there are many pros that use smaller cards so if a card goes bad you only lose part of a shoot. I've known wedding shooters that will shoot 2,000-3,000 images an event and only put 200-400 images per card. And it didn't matter if they were using bodies with single and dual cards.

I use to use 1gb and 2gb cards for just this reason and changed them when they got to only 100-200 images remaining so I would never be stuck with a full card. I have gone to larger cards now that I only have dual card bodies for event work and have listened to too many horror stories about bent CF card pins or overwriting cards, but again many still do.

As for Olympus bodies? Each weather sealed OMD has a separate door, non sealed have the card in the batter compartment. So it may be partly for the Pro/DSLR feel (I can't think of a Canon or Nikon DSLR with the card in battery compartment) or if it's for weather sealing.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    This is kind of a non-problem, not enough failures or additional costs to warrant a change.

What I'd really like to see is camera with 2GB on board memory for those days you forget a card. Someone used to do that. I forget who.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Another place where the separate door is indispensable is in the studio. (Or, at least, in my cheap, amateur, learner's studio.)

Being able to pop the card out, check how things are going on a bigger screen, make some edits, go back to retake a shot, etc... without having to take the camera off the tripod is, to me, a non-negotiable feature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I know my first digital camera had some on board memory. Not much but at least you could get a few shots and I did use it on a couple of occasions. It was a Pentax (and I LOVED it). Can't say that I have needed the feature for a long time but, yeah, why not. Surely it wouldn't hurt.

10. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm thinking that on a cable powered setup (so you never have to change batteries), you can swap the storage cards without detaching your camera from the tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I change cards often. Please don't make me remove the grip or (even with no grip) take the camera off the tripod in order to change cards !!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I guess it depends on the size of the tripod plate? I don't think I've had problems removing the card from my GX7 while mounted on a tripod...

In any case, for me personally, I agree with the OP. I would never want a separate door if it cost any more money for the manufacturer to do, increased size at all, or compromises ingress protection in the slightest. It's about the lowest priority feature I would have. Though dual-card slots are also very, very low on my list. I'm a recreational photographer.

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be able to extract anything from the battery compartment out when the camera is on my main tripod head (Sirui K-20X). This is one downside of my GM5 versus the E-M1, in fact with the GM5 I can't even extract it when off the head because the plate still interferes.

The main issue though is with external leads and rigs - power adapters generally plug into either the battery compartment or the battery grip, which makes the compartment completely inaccessible. Video rigs that attach via the tripod mount also tend to block off the battery compartment.

That said, if you're doing that sort of thing seriously you'd probably want to be tethering or using an external recorder anyway...

14. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Try that with a decent tripod plate on the EM10 :)

That's fine. I don't want the manufacturer to save 5 cents for the cost of a plastic door and spring if it makes me have to change the way I get access to the cards ;)

One thing I've learned very well over the years is that we're all different. As a recreational photographer you don't change cards much whereas I do :)

Some people shoot thousands of frames a day at the sports track, others take just a handful of shots per month.

Some people like to go out in the rain (need weather sealing) while others are fair weather shooters.

I would very much like dual cards (I've had them on several previous bodies), you don't want them.

I only shoot raw, others only shot JPEG, some shoot both.

Camera manufacturers need to cater for all of us and they do this by having several different models. Having a door for the card is not a premium feature, it's on most cameras out there. Hiding it under the batter door is a 'budget' feature to save space within the design, which also makes it one I won't be buying ;)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    The E-M10 is clearly a tiny camera body that is targeted at enthusiasts and not professionals, though. The E-M1 should have no problem, no?

I guess I might just fundamentally be misunderstanding things. In my mind, if the body is large enough to accommodate a second door and slot, how is it any different than just having a larger body with that single door spaced farther away from the tripod plate allowing you to change cards with no problems even on a tripod. That would be no issue on a camera like the GX8, which is probably the minimum size you could expect for anything with a separate door anyway.

Z-panasonic_gx8-bottom.JPG

And if it makes for more efficient weather sealing to combine the two ports in one, and the bottom of the camera is the best place to avoid water ingress anyway...

I guess I just don't know what the benefit of having the separate door is. As long as the single door is far enough away from the tripod socket, how does it make any difference at all?

As you say, we're all different, and all have different priorities. But I'm with the OP where I don't think I'm able to fully appreciate the utility. I guess having a separate door makes changing cards a few seconds faster and easier, just because it's in a slightly more accessible place?

• Like Like x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Why didn't I think of that one. With a grip on and set to us the grip battery first you could go months without accessing the bottom battery compartment.

17. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    No, that's not correct. I can't change batteries on either the EM1 or GH4 without removing them from the tripod because the doors won't open all the way. So, please, don't make me also put the card in there too!

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Well then, I stand corrected! I am guessing my tripod plate is not nearly as large as the one you're using.

19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think for many of the cameras in m4/3 lineup, there just isn't room for another door. On my SLR there was plenty of room in the grip to just make a nice side-door for the cards. But I don't think it would work on most m4/3.

I wonder if they switched to microSD if that would help? I know many people look down on MicroSD, but they have MicroSD cards up to 95MB/s* write (UHS-3) and up to 512GB in size. And with matched adapters you can use them in anything that takes regular SD, too.

*4K on the GH4 and GX8 is 100 Mbits per second, which is only 12.5 MBytes/s, so plenty fast enough.

20. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    It's actually not the plate thats the problem, it's the tripod head that is wider than the plate that stops the door opening.