Why Panasonic beat Olympus

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Oct 28, 2011.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have always been a fan of Olympus- going back to my OM-1/2n days.

However, they have seemed to lost touch with the photographer and offer what they want.. not so much what the end-users want.

I thought about why I sold my EP-2 and purchased a GH2 with my G3 as backup:

• Integral Electronic Viewfinder
    • Rotating LCD screen
    • Multi-Aspect Sensor
    • 18 Megapixel Sensor
    • Quality of Video
    • Built-in Flash
    • Attractive and Ergonomics (Silver Body)

I will always keep in mind how Olympus abandoned the 4/3 DSLR- with only ONE left and terribly overpriced lenses.

The winner:

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Huh? I don't like to get into flame wars between Panasonic and Olympus stuff, because I think both companies and offerings have their place. Your comments make many generalizations that isn't true for everyone.
  3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Congratulations on finding a camera that you like. I hope you're very happy together :)
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Horses for Courses.

I for one actually DISLIKE flippy/twisty screens. I prefer the NEX/EPL3 tilt screen. I also don't care as much about video. I also can't abide mini-DSLR bodies. Nor do I want 18MP. I find the files far too large for minimal resolution improvement for what I do with the pics (printing and posting to the internet). Finally, I don't like the Panny "silver" -- looks gun metal grey. Give me the EP silver any day!

I would, though, like an in-built EVF, but one of better resolution and fast refresh.

Horses for Courses. Thankfully, we have choices!
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went the other way, from a G3/GF2 to a E-PL2/E-PM1. The main reason was the jpeg output, SCP and the most important aspect in my opinion...the gradation setting. I barely fiddle with my settings on an Olympus camera. Output is nearly as good as my Nikon D3/D700. Plus I don't care much for the built-in VF. I like the ability to breakdown the camera or built it up with a VF-2 if need be.

Of course everyone has different needs, at least with M43 you have 2 camera makers with ability to use the same lenses!
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have an E-P2 and a G2. The funny part is:

Integrated viewfinder - don't care
    Rotating LCD - don't care
    Multi-sensor - I use the crop tool
    18 MP sensor- would be nice
    Video - never use it
    Built in Flash - never use it
    Attractive and ergonomics -Olympus all the way

I'm not saying this just to just to contradict you. My point is that folks have different needs and preferences and these are no obvious points. I much prefer the clip on VF, for example, and the Oly JPG engine. I bought the G2 because it was cheap, but it is definitely the back-up body for me.

Let me edit this. On second thought, I'll give the ergo edge to the G2 due to years of SLR usage. It does feel more familiar when used with the VF.
  7. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I picked pen over gf1 simply for IBIS. with the same 20mm 1.7, I get more keepers with olympus, indoors and flashless.
  8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    • Like Like x 2
  9. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Please point out the "many generalizations" that I made.

This isn't a "flame war".. just writing my observations.
  10. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I shoot RAW, but the jpeg output on the G3 and GH2 is decent.. Oly tends to be too warm.

I've always worried about losing the $250 viewfinder.. and the friction fit only was an error.
  11. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    The IBIS would be nice, but I don't use long focal lengths and rarely go below 125th sec.
  12. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
  13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Thanks for your observations! While they aren't the same as mine, I didn't take it as a flame baiting post.

The primary reasons I went with the E-P3 are IBIS and modular viewfinder (I can grab it when I need it).

On a future m4/3 body, I would like to see a E-Px or GX(2?) with a tilt screen. I wouldn't find the rotating screen useful enough to warrant the increased bulk (assumed).
  14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

Regarding the emoticon, it's one thing to beat a dead horse and quite another to whack a dead horse over and over again in that particular area! I vote for a kinder and gentler dead horse emoticon! :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 3
  15. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    I use both....

the GH2 and EP-3 and enjoy both for different reasons. The GH2 is the easiest camera to operate I've ever had, including DSLR's. Everything is where it should be and the external controls are great. I love the resolution and the articulating LCD really comes into it's own when using a lens like the 7-14mm. That being said I also love the EP-3. Love the jpegs, build quality, metering and smear resistant touch screen. Aesthetically it's a beautiful camera that you just want to pick up and shoot. It's also more discrete and easier to get into places where DSLR's and mini DSLR lookalikes would be restricted.
    As far as I can tell the only losers are the people who don't know how good m4/3's is in the first place. The rest of us who do are all winners, regardless of brand.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great point! :2thumbs:

I should have mentioned that the big reason I went m4/3 in the first place, was because there were 2 companies strongly supporting the standard.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Ouch! I didn't notice that before.
  18. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I used the EP2 and G2, then the EP2 and G3 and now the GH2 w/G3 as backup.

IF the EP3 had built-in EVF and the same megapixels as the GH2- *maybe* I would have stayed loyal.
  19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    What photographer? You? Me? Photographers in general? End users? Who?

Reading the tone of this implies the things you like about a camera applies to everyone. I might be wrong, but the original post never says anything about your preferences. The statement above has the tone of being "matter of fact"
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    You forgot to mention how Panasonic dumped Four Thirds too.
    Panasonic's has/had the DMC-L1 and DMC-L10 Four Thirds cameras that they no longer support