Why OM-D is the *best* Street Camera!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by digitalandfilm, Sep 16, 2012.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I've been shooting "street" photo's for a few years now.

I've come to the conclusion that the OM-D is *the* best street camera.

• Awesome, Small, Lightweight Glass
    • I can shoot up to ISO 2500 easily- with good results
    • Color Temp and Rendition means less Post Processing
    • Flip Down LCD is handy and has great resolution
    • Auto Focus is Blistering Fast and Accurate
    • Less *intimidating* on the street as opposed to Full Size DSLR
    • Less of a Burden getting through crowds due to size
    • And... it's a damn sexy tribute to the OM2n I had in 1980!

Flickr seems to be messing up- so see the set at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78067813@N04/sets/72157631558337714/

• Like Like x 4
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    All or most of your comments can be applied to many other m43 cameras. Some more so, some less.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    None of your pics are displaying - maybe it's just me?

4. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Perhaps the closest to the OM-D is the GH-2.. but it's behind in high ISO, IQ is very "cold" and tends to kill highlights (I had one).

So- what other m43 do you think equals/exceeds the OM-D that's currently available?

5. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Should display.. or you can click on my Flickr River link in the sig.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Bhupinder :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  7. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    GX1 maybe?

But sooo coool. I like the one with the pigeon and the guy looks like he's scolding it. lool

8. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I don't think that the GX1 has a flip-down LCD, does it?

9. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Bhupinder? :confused:

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    E-PL5 does all the above except for the last to which the E-PL5 is a damn sexy tribute to the original PEN line-up :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Well, isn't the GX1 even less intimidating than a DSLR and even less of a burden getting through crowds.

The UI *might* be a plus but I guess it could be subjective.

They may be equal, depending on these factors. So don't dismiss it just because of the lack of a tilting LCD. So far I get by without it, on the occasional moments that I shot street.

I think what the GX1 really lacks, is IBIS.

Although my experience on street, and on photography itself, is questionable. So you may have a better view about the subject.

EDIT: I'm sorry if it somehow sounded offensive or snide lol. I'm just saying that the GX1 has more to offer despite lacking a tilting LCD.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    And again we're back to "eye of the beholder and all that". I love the OMD with the 12mm lens but that's really the ONLY m43 lens adequate for zone focussing (edit - to be joined by the just announced 17 f1.8 next year!) and I hate using AF on the street except in really low light when zone focus becomes all but impossible because of the large aperture needed. I did a bunch of daylight shooting yesterday at a street fair and the OMD/12 is all I used. But I've used a lot of cameras on the street, all but a couple even smaller and less conspicuous than the OMD. And if I didn't know which camera I'd used for which shots, I'd be hard pressed to tell from the shots. I've never had any trouble getting through crowds due to the size of my camera! You must be very small and skinny if the camera is keeping you from getting through crowds!

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The new 15mm body cap/lens and the new 17mm will make a pretty potent street combo with this camera - but the E-PL5 looks to give it a run for the money. :biggrin:

14. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    E-PL5 doesn't have a built-in EVF- edge to OM-D

15. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Well.. what I mean't was a Nikon D300s on one side hanging from a Black Rapid and the other side a Retrospective 10 bag with an equal number of lenses, batteries, filters makes your total girth pretty wide.

Especially when you're 6'1" and 265 lbs.. so I haven't been skinny since the 70's.

16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi
    I agree with all above but we were still doing street shooting when tilt screens and OMD wasnt around. I have done plenty of it using EPL2 and still love it . GX1 is also an exellent camera for street shooting . But yes OMD is the sharpest tool in the shed ATM ..hahaaaah:2thumbs::2thumbs:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

Ps- Bill was waiting for my response .lol

17. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm not sure about the utility of that lens.. 30mm and stuck at F8?

The majority of my shots (I averaged it out in LR4) are in the 50mm range, and I like to keep my camera on Aperture Priority and adjust shutter speed using Aperture settings. For some- I guess it's the cats meow, but the Sigma 19mm has more utility in that range.. and it's a steal if you consider the bang for the buck.

18. digitalandfilm

Jul 18, 2011
    Ahhh OK- I thought it was a secret code word! :thumbup:

I agree 100%.. but tilt screens are "the right tool for the job" at times.

See the guy in the lower, right hand corner:

[​IMG]

19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Eyes of the beholder

I have to agree with the above comment, there are many great "Street shooting" cameras out there and none is better than the other for all - the choice is very much a personal one and there are still afficionados who still shoot street on film (Bruce Gilden, Eric Kim, dennis Strock, david Hurn to name but a few who have and still do occasionally use film).

They have / do use a mix of cameras from Leica rangefinder, to Ricoh GRD compacts - There is a great street photographer who I have admired for years for his gritty street work and he used Rich GRD's for a long time (Mitch Alland), a link is here: The Online Photographer: An Approach to Street Photography

To summarise, there is no such thing as the perfect street camera as what works for one does not for others.

I personally started my street work with a Ricoh GRD2 before progressing to the Pany GF1+20mm that was at the time for me the perfect street combo, I now use the GX1+25mm f1.4 and LVF2 for my street work and again for me it gives me the image quality I like and judging by feedback so do others so for me, the OMD is not in the mix as it is too SLR looking and not subtle / compact looking enough not to draw attention to user and action thus potentially spoiling the shot.

Horses for courses!

Mans_best_friend.

Reflection3.

Islington_15_SFX.

Islington_17_SFX.

Doing_the_crossword.

Echo.

• Like Like x 3
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    No, but I have the VF-2 :smile:

And...

Minus 1 to the OMD for having the SLR/DSLR "hump" (makes you look too professional on the street)

Plus 1 to the E-PL5 for not having the SLR/DSLR "hump" (makes you look like a simple tourist with a point-and-shoot) :wink: