Why Olympus and Panasonic are so pathetic in marketing MFT cameras ;(

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, May 24, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..
    MFT is catching up fast and here in Australia I see quite a lot MFT cameras. I happened to bump into few MFT shooters who had no clue apart from that its a latest camera from Oly and Panasonic which sales person convinced them to buy . Here in Australia I haven't seen even a single ad from Oly to Panasonic marketing their latest launches. They most go un-noticed . If you guys remember , Nikon did extensive marketing of Nikon 1 series . I have failed to understand why Olympus and Panasonic are so pathetic when it comes to marketing these cameras . Please share how are the things in your country ?Do they market MFT cameras very well ?
    Here is Australia they are miserable to the extent that when I phoned Olympus Australia after OMD announcement , they receptionist had no clue about this camera .:confused:

2. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    In the US, there is essentially zero marketing for micro 4/3. I have NEVER seen a Panasonic TV spot, and maybe one or two print ads. Olympus does a little better, but not much.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Well in japan and taiwan it is EVERYWHERE!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've seen a few Olympus Pen posters here and there, but that's it. Nothing from Panasonic.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NYC area.... photography is big around here and so is fashion. Zero marketing from Olympus and Panasonic that I can see.
  6. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    I noticed last time I was in Canberra, you could find an array of m43 cameras in a variety of stores; here in Madison the local camera store has 1 or 2 Olympus cameras. The only panny ones I have seen here in Madison is a GF3, and only at the big box stores.

GH2, 14-42, 14, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8, 45-175. www.stevenralserphoto.com
  7. creezalird

creezalird Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    in Malaysia it is still noticeable and can be seen in most shopping complex and local magazine.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Panasonics marketing in general really is bad. They have appliances and TVs and I rarely see marketing for either.
  9. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Well.. at least still better than Fuji commercials.. that was weirdddd :eek::biggrin:
  10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    In Greece, where I live, photography market is quite small (under current circumstances ALL market is small, but that's another subject...).

There are three distinct sectors; pros, enthusiasts and average-Joe/Jane consumers. Really distinct separation between these categories.

Pros are still virtually stuck in the CanonNikon dogma. Perhaps a handfull are starting to experiment with some alternative solutions. Enthusiast market closely follows the pro market, adhering to a "safe" mindframe. Consumer market buys whatever is in vogue.

All this is mirrored in advertising. :43: were never introduced to the public as a DSLR alternative; rather exclusively as a step up from pocket camera users. Lately, Olympus changed dealer in Greece, which may change things for the better.

I guess it's about the same everywhere, give or take.
  11. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Since 2010 here and not a shred of marketing outside of the internet.

This use to be a little irritating because I encountered so many psuedo-photographers regurgitating MFT limitations to the average consumer. There wasn't enough reference material to justify the new format.

Two years later and I can count close to a dozen :43: bodies spread amongst my cohorts...from stay-at-home moms to pros.

Word of mouth and the internet is a powerful thing, so to hell with traditional marketing.
  12. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Common misconception: Marketing is advertising.

It's much more than that. It's still a little bit of advertising, but now includes social media, engaging with bloggers, PR story pitching, email programs, viral video programs, end user training programs, sneak peak product releases, search engine optimization, custom tailored landing pages, unique product web pages.

It's never a good rule of thumb to gauge successful marketing by the receptionist's role in delivering out-going messaging.

I'm a fan of print adverts. I buy print for the product I'm responsible for. But they are not long for this world. And TV is silly stupid expensive.

I track Olympus, and from a marketing guy's perspective, they are actually really good, and do a lot more than they get credit for. None of the items in my list above come free, and they are where new eyeballs live, and where credibility rules.
    • Like Like x 1