Why not WYSIWYG on EM1 II in S-mode or A-mode

archeogeolab

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Erik Meijs
Turned off "live view boost" and thought Olympus would give me WYSIWYG.

But in a weakly lit room S-mode, f2.0 (wide open), 1/2500sec, ISO 64 (mechanical shutter) and exposure compensation +1,7 gave me a bright viewfinder with orange blinkies, while taken photo became black.
With exposure compensation -1,7 the viewfinder became darker and orange blinkies disappeared, but again the taken photo was black.

I understood there was severe underexposure because in the viewfinder the f2.0 symbol was blinking, but it is confusing the orange blinkies appear on exposure compensation, while the taken image will be black.

Am I missing something?

Humminbird

Mu-43 Rookie
The EVF only shows WYSIWYG up to -3 EV exposure from the metered correct exposure. If you are exposing anything below that, you will still be able to see an EVF image although the captured image is more or less black. Your exposure values for dim indoors are way off, probably by 10 stops or so. Dim indoors is something like 1/100s and ISO3200 at f/2. So that this is probably what is happening. Other things that affect EVF and blinkies is metering (spot highlights and spot shadows can lead to strange stuff), S-OVF and EVF auto brightness. Choose whole frame metering, verify that S-OVF is not toggled on and than test with both EVF auto brightness on and off to see how it behaves.

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
At that shutter speed it is hardly surprising that the image is black. Lower your shutter speed and see what you get. Unless you are shooting fast moving subjects you really don't need that fast a shutter speed.
Try switching to Aperture priority and set the aperture to wide open and see what shutter speed the camera suggests.

Jill H

New to Mu-43
I see this thread was from a couple months ago, but I'm having a similar problem. I recently got an EM1-2 and I'm struggling a little bit to get it set up the way I want it. When I take a photo in low light, outside for instance, what I see in the EVF is great, but the resulting image is really dark. If you need my settings to answer my question, I'll provide them, but I realized that I had the shutter speed and aperture settings wrong. My question is...how can I set it so that WYSIWYG in the EVF? What I'm seeing in the EVF is just normal, like I'm looking at it without a camera. So it's something of a surprise when I check the photo and see how dark it is.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I see this thread was from a couple months ago, but I'm having a similar problem. I recently got an EM1-2 and I'm struggling a little bit to get it set up the way I want it. When I take a photo in low light, outside for instance, what I see in the EVF is great, but the resulting image is really dark. If you need my settings to answer my question, I'll provide them, but I realized that I had the shutter speed and aperture settings wrong. My question is...how can I set it so that WYSIWYG in the EVF? What I'm seeing in the EVF is just normal, like I'm looking at it without a camera. So it's something of a surprise when I check the photo and see how dark it is.
I would guess it's menu item D2->Live View Boost. You need to set this to 'Off' for in every mode in which you are trying to achieve WYSIWYG.

Jill H

New to Mu-43
I would guess it's menu item D2->Live View Boost. You need to set this to 'Off' for in every mode in which you are trying to achieve WYSIWYG.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try that. Didn't realize I needed to change it in every mode.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You might like to also try S-OVF. You go to the Cog Menu, option I, and the last entry is S-OVF. Turn it on and this gives you a simulated optical viewfinder.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
But if you use S-OVF you won't see the view with the white balance, exposure compensation, and picture mode as set on the camera.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But if you use S-OVF you won't see the view with the white balance, exposure compensation, and picture mode as set on the camera.
Yes, I know it is a move in the opposite direction.

Jill H

New to Mu-43
Sorry I haven't gotten back here sooner...I've been working long days this week. I plan to be xperiment with your suggestions this weekend. I'm thinking I might also reset everything completely and start again more methodically- so I'm sure I don't have some odd setting I wouldn't realize is interfering with how I want things to work (like the SOVF maybe).

Latest threads

Top Bottom