1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why Not Viewfinder Glasses ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nueces snapper, Sep 18, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I thought of this the other day while bent over my monopod for a couple hours trying to photograph fish on a steep creek bank. :frown:

Why can't we have say smallish half frames like reading glasses we can wear on the end of our nose so we can either study the EVF or look over them at the subject?

I missed a lot of shots with the fish cause I could not effectively watch the view finder and the subject area at the same time given that I was using long tele and had a very small view. ( rear screen no good as I had to hold the camera low ) I often had a few fish close, not moving very fast but then some better subject might be only two or three feet away but only in range for a couple seconds.

Could be good for birds too.

:polling:

2. nueces snapper

Anybody here have any luck photographing fish? I didn't really like any of the dozen or so shots I thought were keepers on the camera screen. Maybe I should try manual focus. Although the EP3 seemed to be locking on quite well.

:polling:

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's what the rear camera screen is for. :) That's why it's nice that we are now released from the eye-level viewfinder because of the Live View... but of course, that doesn't help us in all situations, such as outdoor shooting with the sun out. It's great in the studio though, being able to shoot at all angles without contorting myself into a pretzel, and being able to look up and interact with my model without having the camera glued to my face.

4. nueces snapper

Yes. An articulated screen would be nice too. But not if one has to give up brightness and resolution I guess.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    At least the VF-2 and VF-3 work at variable angles. That's not something you see from many eye-level viewfinders. :D

It's never going to be perfect, but really we do have the best choices and options with our new mirrorless systems than any others out there...

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have been thinking of this for a long time - with digital and live view, there is no reason for the viewfinder to be part of the camera body.

That said, the swiveling LCD is a revelation. It's one of e biggest reasons I replaced my GF1 for a G3 after having it on my point and shoots

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Let's not forget that Olympus cameras with the AP-2 port (E-PL2 and newer) are already bluetooth capable! The options are easily building up...

You know the purpose of the AC-2 port was merely for the bluetooth capabilities, as it sure as hell wasn't to power up the Macro Arm Light, lol. :D Who knows what other bluetooth devices they might have in store for us in the future?

8. jonbly

jonbly Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2010
    Or some kind of monocle arrangement.

Either way, +1. EVFs belong attached to eyes, not to cameras.

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Amen. Someone has to make this happen.