Why not use USB-C ??

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No, they should have gone to USB 3.0 but not with a type C Connector.
OK then why did you say "Users don't need the speed" then? Since the connector type doesn't have to be linked with the bus speed, seems to me you were arguing against USB 3.x, not the connector type.

DanS

Mu-43 All-Pro
OK then why did you say "Users don't need the speed" then? Since the connector type doesn't have to be linked with the bus speed, seems to me you were arguing against USB 3.x, not the connector type.
What is it with you and USB 3.x, that means nothing. pick a standard 3.0, 3.1, 3.2.

Users don't need more than 3.0, because they can't use the speed. As I have already said multiple times now, the best sd cards can't come close to what 3.0 is capable of (625 MB/s). Even if an SD card existed that could max out 3.0, you would need a PCIe based hard drive in your computer or you still wouldn't be able to max out 3.0. PCIe still isn't mainstream yet, getting closer but it will be a few more years.

I'm arguing against the connector type, because it's heavily associated with USB 3.1. Any I'm sorry to say your average consumer is clueless when it comes to understanding this technology. For better or worse I'm one of the people that co-workers turn to with tech questions. On several occasion I've had to explain to a coworker why they weren't getting anywhere close to 1 GB/s across their USB-C cable. Usually it's someone trying to transfer photos and video from their phone to their computer.

zanydroid

Mu-43 Regular
What is it with you and USB 3.x, that means nothing. pick a standard 3.0, 3.1, 3.2.

Users don't need more than 3.0, because they can't use the speed. As I have already said multiple times now, the best sd cards can't come close to what 3.0 is capable of (625 MB/s). Even if an SD card existed that could max out 3.0, you would need a PCIe based hard drive in your computer or you still wouldn't be able to max out 3.0. PCIe still isn't mainstream yet, getting closer but it will be a few more years.
I would argue that almost any user would benefit from a USB3 gen1 (5Gbps PHY, if I'm not mistaken). Mainstream PCs are on SATA SSDs so they can certainly accept the data, which translates to saturating ~80-90% of a USB3 root hub. This indicates that it's a good time to start future proofing with investment in gen2 motherboards.

All performance oriented photo/video users have workflows that can saturate USB3.0 and typically use NVMe. Video pros/hobbiests like me have been on the bleeding edge of storage for quite some time, starting with RAID, then SATA SSDs, then NVMe SSDs. Also, plenty of people that are not tech savvy are now shooting with RAW video directly to SSDs. Those have recording bitrates from 200-500MB/s. Given everyone access to higher performance hardware means that less technically savvy people can get the job done without having to spend time or hiring someone to debug bottlenecks.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Of course it means something. In this case, anything beside USB 2.0 that Oly decided to go with on this new camera. I don't care WHICH v3 standard, I just wanted ANY of the USB 3.x standards. First time ever seeing an "x" as a placeholder? :coco:

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I'm arguing against the connector type, because it's heavily associated with USB 3.1. Any I'm sorry to say your average consumer is clueless
The USB-C connector is a huge convenience for those of us who can never get its orientation right the first time. :)

Long live USB-C and symmetrical connectors! I'd prefer it even if it meant 1200 baud! (I had the same problem with 25-pin RS-232 connectors.)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom