1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why not more lens clones for MFT and nex?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by correos.e, Feb 12, 2012.

1. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi there, I've been wondering about the lack of cheap "native" lenses for MFT and NEX. I bought a Wesley 24mm which I will get next week, and with a c-mount adapter it will be great in my camera. I wonder why, however, no (chinese? :) ) entrepreneurial company doesn't flood the market with lenses of this type with a pre-affixed c-mount adapter, which would make them native-ish. As far as I understand are some clone of the Pentax and other CCTV lenses.
    The problem with FF lenses is that they are huge and our sensor is relatively tiny. CCTV lenses are smaller because they are designed to cover the smaller sensors.
    Why no-one is taking for insntace the design of the Pentax 110 lenses, which are ridiculously small and were designed to cover a sensor the size of MFT, and slapping to these clones an adapter with aperture control. They would sell like hot cakes...
    Is it very hard to clone these lenses? Or perhaps there's not that much of a market?
    Thanks

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Who would buy them when you can get a C-mount lens and adapter and do it yourself, presumably without the extra price mark-up?

3. I assume these c-mount lenses still have a purpose outside of digital cameras(?). Adding a permanent m4/3 lens mount automatically limits the usefulness of a lens. For instance, Voigtlander could add an m4/3 lens mount to any of their existing Leica M-mount lenses and sell them as "native" lenses, but by doing so it immediately devalues the lens because there would be only one system that particular lens can be used on.

4. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    OK, I guess that's why I'm not an entrepreneur :)
    For get the bit about the c-mount lenses, it makes sens to just sell the lens with the adapter.
    What about bringing back to life designs such as those of the Pentax 110 lenses? A company that can make a solid lens like the 24mm Wesley and sell it, shipped around the world, for 50 bucks, can probably do a lot of things, right? My question really if whether there is a market for slightly better lenses, designed with MFT in mind - without issues like no infinity focusing (Computar), vignetting, etc...

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    In a lot of ways I guess that's what SLR Magic is already doing :smile:

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    But not at $50 (for SLR Magic).

Making an optically correct, precision assembled lens isn't a trivial task. Most of those c-mount lenses really aren't very good optically, especially off center. That's why they're cheap. But I think the market for mediocre lenses is rather limited.

There are lots of cheap, Chinese made fisheye conversion lenses in the $50 price range. I bought one. It sucks. That's how I'd feel about any Chinese made prime lens that sells new for the same price.

The Chinese excel at manufacturing things that can be pretty much fully automated (they make some excellent knock-offs of motorcycle parts). Just program the CNC machine, and let it run, making illegal knock-offs all day long. Lenses are different. They require precision assembly, which costs money even at Chinese wages. And they require skilled labor, which is more expensive than the drones that assemble iPhones.

Could the Chinese make high decent quality knock-offs of Japanese and German lens designs? Probably. But they wouldn't cost $50. Would they sell well? Maybe, but the lack of such lenses leads me to believe the Chinese have decided there's more profit elsewhere.

7. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Yes, the SLR Magic business model is what I had in mind - but clearly if they haven't been more aggressive there's probably not that much of a market.
    And yes, lenses are more delicate than CNC-churned parts. But I insist - somewhere there is the capacity, the Wesley's aren't bad at all...
    I'll wait :)

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I believe Samyang will follow up their successful 7.5mm fish-eye with some additional m43 lenses soon. I see a great opportunity for them if they strike soon.

SLR Magic seems to be pricing themselves out of the market.

Sigma dropped the ball with their new m43 lenses (large and slow).

eBay is flooded with c mount lenses with m43 adapters.