Why not a Leica M9

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Popflash.com, KEH.com are good.

Also- the classified ads on rangefinderforum.com often have a couple. That is where I bought mine.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Prices for the M8 have dropped below the $2000 mark for one in good, lightly used condition. I've read on rangefinderforum.com that some M8's have hit the $1500 mark, and went very quickly at that price.

Patience and Perseverance.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
...you can even find the M8 below the 1000 euro mark ! No idea exactly what is the difference between M8 ad M8.2 though ?

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
I used to have an M8, but the crop factor drove me nuts. But nice size and file quality. I almost bought a M9 body last week but then had to rationalize that the lenses I wanted was another $7,000 (Wide Tri-Elmar, $3K used; Medium Tri-Elmar, $3K used (used to have one) + a 90mm ($1k). So bought a Sony A900 instead.....

I only shoot landscapes, on a tripod, so I need the wide angle, and I don't need fast lenses nor telephotos. The Tri-Elmars are only F4 but amazing pieces of engineering.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The M8.2 and M8 are essentially the same camera with some tweaks The M8.2 has an updated shutter that is quieter but looses the 1/8000 top speed and framelines . The other major difference is the frame lines which are calibrated to 2 meters instead of the 0.7meters. Other minor differences include the vulcanite covering, smaller charger, "S" mode, and slightly faster 1/180th sync speed.

I shoot with the M8 and it still remains to be my primary camera. I love it. It is accompanied by 24 elmarit, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 90mm Summarits, 50mm Summilux, 90mm Summicron and Noctilux. There's some Voigtlanders in my bag as well. My R-D1 has been my secondary camera.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the fact that Rangefinders and m4/3rd are completely different in almost every aspect with m4/3rds providing the closest experience to a an SLR. Having that difference plus the lightweight of my E-PL1 is like having two camera systems in my bag without the extra weight and bulk. SLRs have their advantages and Rangefinders have their advantages. The crop factor of the E-PL1 gives me a decent telephoto when I need it using the same M-mount glass.

In general, the R-D1 still remains the better companion simply because its just like the M8 a rangefinder. The E-PL1 (I haven't had it very long) makes a good companion because simply it allows me to use the same lenses differently.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The M8.2 also has a hard covering over the screen on the back, virtually scratch proof.

I end up using an 85mm lens with the 75mm framelines of the M8, and a 105mm lens for the 90mm framelines. Works out perfectly for normal working distances.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I will get the Schott glass protector for my M8, a freind has it on his M9. $20, much less than the upgrade. Right now, I use a plastic screen protector on it.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
yup.. that's what I have. Giottos/Aegis (by Schott glass). Its really high quality and very scratch resistant. The sapphire glass is virtually scratch proof but at almost several hunred.. I'll pass. Over time the glue deteriorated from sun exposure and fell off. I have to reattach it sometime.

G1 User

Mu-43 Veteran
Well,
I have an M5 with 3 great lenses... 2 Voigtlander (28/2 Ultron, and 35/1.4 SC Nokton) and my 50mm is a Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 T*, the current ZM mount.
So, I wanted a way to have a fast (or 2 fast) small portrait lenses with a digital camera... Hence the G1. But, I also wanted a small high quality digital for street and family stuff... hence the G1....
It fits both my needs (or wants :confused:), with one camera...
One day I would like an M9.... But...money is not my biggest asset.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
to bounce this thread back up

I've bought an M8 and love it - a used model, 9 months old and still under the Passport

The "issues" that I have had are just "quirks" - if you buy an M8 you (should) know what (can) be expected

It's just made for a "certain type" of photography

I really love to be able to focus again quickly on what i want to focus on - (I know that you can with "spot focusing" on other cams - but it really is not the same and anyway it's not as quick as you can with a RF).

I love the RF image "form" - scale focusing and the IQ of the cam and of the lens - "always buy good glass" really is true and very satisfying - Leica, Zeiss and CV produce exceptional stuff and the old used examples are equally as "great" - they are like a "good wine" - full of interest and character

with the M8 anything over ISO 320, (really ISO400), leaves a lot to be desired, unless the light conditions are "right" - but you can use the cam at much lower shutter speeds anyway - that's not a worry, (for me).

Lens investment - well don't think too long about this (the cost), and I had a couple left from my M6 days to start me going.
UV/IR cut filters - well that's a quirk that you have to accept - (and never notice once fitted)

I feel "sad" that Leica has had such "bad press" with the M8 - as IMHO a digital RF camera should always be available as it gives a very interesting and enjoyable shooting experience.

It is great to have just a few simple controls once again - with the f values back on the lens.

will I buy an M9? - I would like to - but pick up a used M8 for "good money" - knowing all the "reported problems" - and IMHO you will be happy (especially if you have used an RF film cam before).

I think that there is a definite RF style - I am still getting used to the cam and I,m in no way an expert shooter, but the following were taken in Bordeaux on New Years Eve afternoon and I am happy with them

BDX_white_hat.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BDX_girl.jpg

BDX_heads.jpg

View attachment 155232

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I like my M8. Had it for a year now.

picture.php

picture.php

I just like shooting with a Rangefinder.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Why not M9? Ummm ... have you seen the price?

Camera is just a tool, and I can't see an M9 being enough of a more productive tool to justify the price.

I know everyone is going to say "oh, you don't shoot Leica, you would never understand", and I guess I don't, because nobody has ever been able to explain how an image from a red dot is in any way superior to other ways of capture.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why not M9? Ummm ... have you seen the price?

Camera is just a tool, and I can't see an M9 being enough of a more productive tool to justify the price.

I know everyone is going to say "oh, you don't shoot Leica, you would never understand", and I guess I don't, because nobody has ever been able to explain how an image from a red dot is in any way superior to other ways of capture.

Yeh - Leica digital Ms - and they will only increase once (if) an M10 is made

you are probably correct but look at the price of the S2 and the Hassleblad - my view is if people want to buy them then that's OK - quality does not increase incrementally with cost and it's good that the likes of Leica and Hassleblad can continue to survive - the Panasonic Leica relationship has been of benefit to photography in general

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
A way back when in a galaxy far, far away I owned a Leica M3 but I will never own another Leica. It is not that the camera was disappointing far from it. It was a gem, but and to me this is the big but, it was expensive. While I could afford it, every time I used it I was aware of the cost, I treated it very gingerly, I wouldn’t hardly take it out into the elements and when I did I babied it. I was spending more time fussing with the camera than taking pictures. It was as if the camera owned me not me owning the camera.

After many years of taking pictures I have found out a few truisms about cameras that Grant uses. If cameras are tools mine are hammers not precision calipers, I do like to get down in the dirt with my equipment. Once a certain level of camera is reached anything above that it will not improve my shooting skills. The only thing an expensive camera does for me is take away that great excuse “If I only had a better camera.”

Now all that being said if someone wants to give me a new Leica with three lenses I would use it in a New York heart beat, I just don't want to own one. All that said this is just my opinion.

My opinion and $1.30 can get me a coffee at any Tim Horton’s.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My M8 did fine in the snow last year, took it out the first week that I had it.

picture.php

With a Jupiter-3.

We got a lot of snow last year.

picture.php

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I also have an M3, that gets out to the Playground.

picture.php

Latest threads

Top Bottom