Why not a 10-50?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Or for that matter a 9-45? If they can make a 12-60 that sells for under $500, why not these? All would be the same 5X zoom. Ever been shooting indoors in tight quarters and wish for that little bit more? I'd love something just a bit wider for shooting in museums, galleries, old buildings, etc. Heck, it doesn't even have to be super fast, I get by with 3.5 now. 2.8 would be nice, but not necessary. It surely doesn't have to be another 10-25 1.7.

Is it because barrel correction is that much more expensive in the wider lenses? Is there a problem with zooming from a super wide to a more normal FL? Or, maybe there just wouldn't be enough interest? Someone school me.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It usually comes down to the sort of money available for new development and the number of potential sales the MBAs project in their spreadsheets!

Also 10 mm is an odd wide angle for many photographers I think. 12 mm seems easier to relate to for them, in my eyes, since it compares to a popular FF focal length. Are there many 20mm lenses compared to 18 mm in FF? (I don't know, I'm asking)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is it because barrel correction is that much more expensive in the wider lenses?
Probably. I think this is what some of the really wide lenses have traditionally come in a much more controllable 2x optical zoom design such as the Oly 9-18mm, Pan 8-18mm, O&P 7-14, and the Oly 11-22 in the old 4/3rds system. You would think if they could go 3x or more easily they would have.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom