Why no "X" primes?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Boneyard, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    With the growing rumblings of Olympus' PRO primes on the near horizon, I got wondering why Panasonic never followed up on the 12-35 and 35-100 zooms with "X"-branded primes in a similar fashion.

I would think there would be a market for such lenses, even if they weren't pursuing 1.2 lenses, as the Olympi are purported to be. The system has always lacked weathersealed primes (excluding the Olympus 60) to go with higher-end weathersealed bodies; and with competitors, like Fuji for example, now able to boast a fully weathersealed walkaround camera/lens it just seems odd that either :mu43: manufacturer would let such a hole in their product lineup exist. The fact it has been this long and Panasonic never pursued this market strikes me as odd.

Personally I would be all about a weathersealed, fast focusing "X" 20 1.4 or 1.2 to pay homage to the system's roots with the venerable 20 1.7. Keeping near the sensor's diagonal would allow a fairly compact design relative to maximum aperature chosen, without needing to excessively compromise optical quality. One capable, compact, high-quality all-weather walkaround to supplement one's pro zooms, supposing one was keeping within the Panasonic X family. I would think it would also sell well as a stand-alone, one-lens-to-rule-them-all type lens, much like the original 20.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think they'd rather slap Leica badges on them. The new weather-resistant 100-400 for example isn't an X lens like the 35-100 but is instead a Leica.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Is the 100-400 weather-resistant? Well that's a nice change of pace. Would still like a walk-around prime akin to Fuji's 35 WR.
  4. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    The feeling that I get is the Panasonic is currently focusing on increasing Mp count, and preparing for the 8k 2020 Olympics goal they have laid out for themselves.
  5. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    I thought the "X" lenses are the ones with power ois. maybe I missed something.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    There are Power OIS lenses that don't have the "X" label. But I seem to recall that being one of the original distinctions when "X" were introduced.
  7. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I never really cared for the X branding. But yes we need to see some weather sealed primes! And hopefully affordable, not JUST the upcoming Olympus 1.2 s £££££££
  8. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    I'd rather have a leica branded lens than an X series. Not that I don't love the 2.8 zooms.

I could definitely do without the 'HD' badge on the X lenses. Definitely a lens from a tv company...
  9. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I would be fine with Leica branding. Hell, most of my stable are their offerings. But none of their primes, thus far, have been sealed.

As far as the "X" branding goes, I thought when the pro zooms came out that they had retargeted "X" as their "L" equivalent.
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Hmm... lack of native weather sealed primes. The only ones I can think of are:

Olympus 8 f1.8 Pro
    Olympus 60 f2.8 macro
    Olympus 300 f4 Pro

Is that right? That's all? None of the Panasonic primes are weathersealed, even the Leica branded ones.
  11. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Actually, it's not only about the lenses; I don't care about the branding, but a compact weather-sealed prime would be fantastic for a really compact walk-around kit - for which we'd also need a truely small, weather-sealed body. The Olympus OM-D E-M5 II comes close - but something clearly more compact along the lines of the GM5 (maybe a little bit bigger to accommodate sealing and - we can dream - I.B.I.S.) would really tick all my boxes. Back OT, I love the idea of a sufficiently bright 20mm - the Panasonic pancake is still one of the best single prime solutions in my book ...