Why no teleconverter for the PL 35-100 f2.8?

A 1.4x TC would give you a ~50-140mm lens. Which is essentially covered by the already well regarded Oly 40-150, only faster. While it would be nice to extend the compact 35-100, it just doesn't seem that marketable to design such a TC just for that one lens. I won't even bring up a 2x TC :hiding:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It wasn't designed for a rear mounted (protrusive element) TC.

You could wing it with a very, very good front mounted teleconverter but those are highly dependent on the lens-teleconverter combo. They also require you to thread them on and you'll have a longer minimum focusing distance. You also need a front element of at least 50mm for it to stay f/2.8 at 140mm.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It wasn't designed for a rear mounted (protrusive element) TC.
The earliest teleconverters didn't have protrusive elements. That concept didn't come along until converters dedicated for a specific lens showed up in the 1980s.

Generic converters that physically fit any lens are much less common than they used to be, most likely because the aperture loss impacts autofocus on so many telephotos.

WJW59

Mu-43 Veteran
I had the Oly 1.4x and 2x for 4/3 and used them occaisionally with good results. I'd love to have a 2x that I could attach to the Oly 75mm. It would be more compact and lighter than carrying another lens to get out to 150mm.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Nikon TC-E17ED is a great teleconverter for the 35-100mm f2.8. The 58-60mm step up ring is however not easy to find.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom