Why no scale focus in firmware???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mh2000, Apr 1, 2013.

1. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Since Oly recognizes that scale focusing is important to some, why not add it to all Oly bodies in firmware... ala. a Contax G?

Who else would find it useful?
  2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    That's often been discussed within the m4/3 community.

I really don't know why there's no such thing though. Would love to be able to set lenses to hyperfocus distance or zone focus them and save the setting. Only thing I can think of is that m4/3 lenses don't communicate focus distance with the body or that the whole system would go crazy when you change lenses and there's another lens focus distance saved. Seeing that bodies recognize native lenses, that can't be the problem I guess.
    For instance when I look through other cameras' EXIF files, with many I can find an entry that tells focus distance. Not with files from m4/3 though.
    As a matter of fact, I noticed while reviewing files from my OM-D in camera, that the green focus box which you can zoom into by turning the large dial is in the wrong place when you focus and re-compose your shot. It will be where the focus box was when you pressed the shutter, and not what you focused on initally. While this has more to do with S-AF and C-AF, or follow-focus for that matter, I guess it shows limitations of the whole focus-by-wire system implemented in m4/3s, and might be the reason there's no such thing as an electronic DoF scale. Then again, I hardly know anything about digital camera technics.

I keep my lx5 just for its amazing manual focus distance scale. Not that zone focusing is needed with a sensor that small but setting the lens to hyperfocus distance is a breeze.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I prefer having the scale on the lens and the focus ring stopping at either end. But that isn't going to happen on m4/3 lenses, at least not on most - the Oly 12 and 17mm have the scale. Not sure if they stop at the ends though since I don't own either lens.

One of my biggest complaints with m4/3 is that manually focusing m4/3 lenses sucks. Having a scale in the viewfinder would be very useful. At work we have two Panasonic AF100 m4/3 camcorders and they have an on screen focus scale and it helps a lot{also focus peaking}. This proves that m4/3 does support it! It also shows the focal length which is handy with zooms.

Panasonic - Olympus - put this feature into all your m4/3 bodies!