why no oly point and shoot?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Feb 15, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    with a full-sized m43 sensor, that is?

i was looking today for some nice point and shoot style cams and cam across the ricoh gr ii, the new fuji x70, the pana. lx100...so i went to see what oly had to offer and i couldn't find any oly point and shoot cams with a full sized m43 sensor. do they offer one and i just missed it? i'd love to have something like an ep5 w/ a built in lens like the lx100.

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    There's been the occasional rumor that Olympus will introduce a new point-and-shoot with a large sensor, but the company might have been discouraged by poor XZ sales or by the over-supply of offerings from other manufacturers for that market.

3. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    According to numerous reports the point and shoot market is the segment of camera sales that has been the most impacted in a negative manner by cell phone usage. Manufactures probably will not be investing too much money on that sinking ship.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I just use the PM2 with 17mm lens as my pocket camera. It works like a P&S with full Raw and can serve as an emergency back-up body for my EM1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Same. I'm on my second E-PM2 and my third 17mm/2.8. I think I don't need them until I sell them off and start missing the little guys.

6. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Panasonic, Sony, and Canon are using the 1” sensor for many of their enthusiast P&S models.

If the size and weight were kept down, Olympus could tempt me with an XZ-3 with a 1” sensor.

LX100 is bigger and heavier than my GM5, with a smaller area used on the 4/3” sensor.

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Why not just buy the LX100 then?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Ah, but is it bigger and heavier once you add a 12-35mm f2-3.1 lens?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I suspect that you already know the answer to that question, but I'll play along.

Compact Camera Meter

If you need wide aperture in your lens, the LX100 is a very good choice. If you don't, there are other good options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    probably will, certainly no reason not to.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The OP is right, and it's a good question
    but
    in my opinion we actually have a better solution using one of the good pancake zoom lenses on the small body of your choice.
    (Personally I use prime pancakes for that anyway and sold my pancake zoom.)